Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 15:33   #21
Tired Retired

Beretta Nano.

While I purchased it as a summer pistol. I have found that I always have it in my pocket or IWB when I leave the house.
Tired Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:58   #22
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
I'm looking at investing in a pocket sized carry gun. What are you carrying ... ?
For pocket holster carry I've usually gone with one or another of my J-frames. I have 7 of them, and 5 of them have lightweight frames (Airweights and a couple of M&P 340's).

Why? Because I can shoot them reasonably well, being a long time revolver shooter.

For those times when even a J-frame won't really work well with my clothing choices ? I've started using a LCP. (The first .380 I've owned and carried in at least 25 years, with my previous one being a Beretta M84 I sold off years ago).

I've carried my Glock 26/27's, Ruger SP101DAO, CS9, SW999c, etc in pocket holsters when wearing some of my jackets & coats, but for the most part they're wither too large and/or heavy for typical pocket-holster carry ... for me and my perceived needs and preferences. I know guys who feel otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
...or recommend?
I try to avoid making recommendations to folks regarding off-duty/secondary or CCW/retirement weapons.

Why? Because what works well for me might not do so for someone else.

Also, I prefer to be able to work with someone on a range, so I can assess their skillset and abilities to use small handguns before offering suggestions of what I think they may want to look at while deciding.

I've been asked this question a lot over the years of having worked as a firearms instructor. I usually try to arrange for the person asking the question to try (on the range) representative examples of whatever he/she is considering, or may be curious about, if possible. Let them decide for themselves.

I may offer some occasional insights, observations or explanations of features, functioning, operation, shooting technique adaptations, etc ... but I prefer people take more of an active role in deciding for themselves what they're going to spend their money on and carry as dedicated defensive weapons.

Not everyone is able to safely, confidently, accurately & effectively manipulate and shoot smaller "pocket guns" as well as larger handguns. Some have a hard enough time as it is with full-size handguns.

Then, there's consideration of being able to employ the pocket-holster carry method in a safe, practical and effective manner, depending on the individual and his/her clothing choices, daily activities, etc.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:13   #23
bmoore

Smith 642/442.
Old 02-05-2013, 17:21   #24
bigtimelarry

Ruger LCP380 for sure.
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:22   #25
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance50 View Post
I think the springfield XD-S in 45 acp makes a good pocket carry. I know a lot will disagree but hey I tried it and it works great.
I can't see "pocket carry" as working for me but if it did my XDS would be the way I'd go.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:26   #26
Paul7
New Guy

Colt Mustang .380.
Old 02-05-2013, 17:30   #27
barth
six barrels

S&W 342 ti 38 +P

General Firearms Forum
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:05   #28
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

Another vote for the LCP...why? Because you will actually carry it as opposed to the 'last minute' decision not to carry because of weight or bulk, etc.

For many years I used a SWM36 as a BUG/Pocket gun and also a Walther PPK. Both are GREAT guns! However, since I purchased the LCP I've not looked back.

The weight is (or lack there of) is significant because there's just no excuse due to discomfort, you will carry the gun. My particular LCP has worked flawlessly spitting out many different brands and types of ammo.

Once I learned the trigger accuracy has never been a problem.

She is presently in my left front pants pocket serving as BUG to my G26 which is nestled in a Galco SSII Shoulder Rig.

Comfortable and comforted in either 5.11's or Wranglers. I don't wear anything else.

HR
Old 02-05-2013, 18:11   #29
Gregg702
Gold Membership

Smith 638CT.

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:12   #30
Revvv

It looks like I've got some research to do.

I normally wouldn't want to carry a micro sized gun, but....

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Revvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:39   #31
Gray_Rider

I have carried a SW 642/KelTec P32 combo pocket carry for years when I absoulutely must be in deep consealment. The P32 often in a wallet holster left rear pocket.
If I can wear a covering garmet, it's often my Glock 30 or 26 IWB backed up with the SW 642 or P32.

Gray_Rider
Old 02-09-2013, 13:29   #32
4 glocks

I have a J frame, CM9, LCP. They all will work. But nothing carry's like the LCP.
Old 02-09-2013, 13:39   #33
WayneJessie

I like the LC9 with a Versa-Carry IWB retainer. Anything smaller is useless for me. My LC9 has been flawless. I put the Galloway trigger bar and hammer in it and threw the mag safety in the trash. Very accurate for a sub-compact single stack 9MM.
WayneJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 14:24   #34
willieH

I tend to carry the LC9 the most and I agree with Hugo R to finding a gun "... you will actually carry it as opposed to the 'last minute' decision not to carry because of weight or bulk, etc."

General Firearms Forum

LCR, LC9, LCP
General Firearms Forum
willieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 19:55   #35
Bruce M

Some people seem to have bigger pockets than others as any of several guns that some successfully pocket carry I cannot seem to get into my pocket let alone out quickly. One of the advantages of electing to carry a J frame is that this revolver has been in use successfully for decades and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there with very few issues.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 20:08   #36
porschedog

Desert Eagle in 44 mag

Yeah, the wife has a Big purse (and a CCW permit)

Ok, I'm kidding

A j frame or LCP works for me

NRA Life Member / Creepy-Ass Cracker
Florida Glockers #172126
porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 20:51   #37
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I can't see "pocket carry" as working for me but if it did my XDS would be the way I'd go.
That is what is in my pocket right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 21:45   #38
garya1961

I carry other guns too when I go out but I almost always have my Kel Tec 3AT with me. I have it with me right now. It's actually in the watch pocket of my jeans.

Last edited by garya1961; 02-09-2013 at 21:47..
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:33   #39
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Some people seem to have bigger pockets than others as any of several guns that some successfully pocket carry I cannot seem to get into my pocket let alone out quickly. One of the advantages of electing to carry a J frame is that this revolver has been in use successfully for decades and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there with very few issues.
That is because we don't wear skinny jeans.

Just kiddin' Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:48   #40
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Smith and Wesson 642 in 38 special. I also like my Beretta 21a in 22LR

Last edited by Kentucky Shooter; 02-09-2013 at 22:49..
Kentucky Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote