SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 16:41   #21
ModGlock17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
You are quite correct to leave the firing pin and firing pin channel dry according to Glock's recommendation. On page 79 of the Glock Armorer's Manual, ©GLOCK 2009, there is a big Caution Box with these words in bold print:
"Never leave any solvent or put any lubricant inside the firing pin channel or magazine tube. Along with the breech face and barrel chamber, these areas should be wiped dry before reassembly or use. Leaving solvent or lubricant in any of these areas may cause contamination of primers or powder and possible failure to fire."
Sounds like an umbrella cya. It is certainly true if you douse the firing pin channel with dripping lubricant. I would assume an average person have more common sense than that, but a lawyered mfgr with big pocket can't make the same assumption.

Frog lube I use, is not a low viscosity item that can find its way into a cartridge. Lightly rub the paste on metal surface, heat it with a hair dryer, soak off the excess. When cooled, it'd paste up again. Really slick, I'd name it the Willie Clinton treatment. Carbon deposit mixed in Frog lube is far easier to clean than dried up gunk in the channel. Pressured can cleaner will blow it clean. FWIW.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:11   #22
GRT45
Transform & Win

I don't have a problem with conditioning the metal firing pin and firing pin safety with some protective product, such as Frog Lube or Ballistol, that penetrates the surface of the metal and the excess is thoroughly wiped off. The real No-No is to squirt some liquid lubricant on the firing pin or in the firing pin channel and closing it up wet, and that is the reason for Glock's warning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-05-2013 at 17:46..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote