Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 16:27   #1
GlennS

Why aren't Sigs more popular?

Here in North Alabama Sig pistols aren't looked on very highly. They are top of the line guns, easy to work on, easy to fire. The only drawback I have is the shape of the grips, hard to get a really high hold with the thumbs high like on a 1911. I have the P220, P225, P226, P228 and P229. For the 40 S&W's I have 357 Sig barrels. I consider the Sigs to be the best guns I have. Why have they not caught on any better then they have?
GlennS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:25   #2
9mm +p+

Ummmm, they are despite the fact that most are just in total lust over glocks. Serious folks run HK's and SIG's, don't get me wrong I've had glocks and never had an issue one but I prefer HK's and SIG's over glocks. Price probably has something to do with it as well, SIG's are not cheap, most people feel $600 on a gun that always works is smarter than $900 on a gun that always works. I prefer the feel of SIG and HK for that matter, I also like the quality of both of them over and above any glock that I've had or shot.
Old 02-01-2013, 20:30   #3
pineappleshooter

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
pineappleshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:00   #4
ditto1958

Yep, they're kinda pricey. Really nice, though.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:34   #5
DonGlock26

They've had QC issues over the last few years, the long DA trigger isn't really popular with people who started out with Glock's 5lbs trigger, the blued finish could rust, they are heavier and bulkier than a Glock, and they need more TLC.

Even many Sig fans will CCW a Glock.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

Last edited by DonGlock26; 02-02-2013 at 07:35..
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:54   #6
soflasmg

Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis
soflasmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44   #7
2-8 Marine
Limp Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineappleshooter View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I love Sigs and own four but this would be my answer for sure.

There are three types of people in the world; those that can count and those that can't.
2-8 Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56   #8
SevenSixtyTwo

We own two Sigs. They're pricey no doubt but high quality in my opinion. Love the looks. The only turn off for me is every time I say or hear sig, I can't help but think of some drunk divorcee bar-fly at the local piano bar asking for a cigarette. From there it just goes sour.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05   #9
LuvDog

Ditto the $$$$$$ aspect.
LuvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:12   #10
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Price. Simple as that. And the strategy of giving special deals to police departments making bulk purchases. Town governments are not going to let police departments spend taxpayer bucks on anything that's a penny more expensive than it absolutely has to be, so they buy the cheapest thing that seems fairly decent. This has the effect of creating the false impression among civilians that Glocks must be the best gun available - or else cops wouldn't want them, right?

A similar thing happened in CAD software years ago. AutoDesk was almost giving away their software for free to all the schools, creating the false impression among students that "industry must consider this the best CAD system software or it wouldn't be so widely used in schools" - but there was never any truth to it. Once you are out of school, you find that industry would rather use almost anything but crappy AutoCAD. I almost never get AutoCAD files from anyone because nobody uses it for serious mechanical engineering, but an entire generation was incorrectly taught in school that it was widely considered the best. Aside from in architecture, which is about the simplest possible use of CAD, it's actually considered to be the worst by almost everyone who's ever used anything else.

Public opinion gets steered in stupid directions for stupid reasons all the time.

I like Sig's and HK's and would dump my G20 in a second if either of them made a 10MM because I'm willing to pay more for a better gun.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:34   #11
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Ummmm, they are despite the fact that most are just in total lust over glocks. Serious folks run HK's and SIG's, don't get me wrong I've had glocks and never had an issue one but I prefer HK's and SIG's over glocks. Price probably has something to do with it as well, SIG's are not cheap, most people feel $600 on a gun that always works is smarter than $900 on a gun that always works. I prefer the feel of SIG and HK for that matter, I also like the quality of both of them over and above any glock that I've had or shot.
Well said. Totally agree.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:35   #12
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
Price. Simple as that. And the strategy of giving special deals to police departments making bulk purchases. Town governments are not going to let police departments spend taxpayer bucks on anything that's a penny more expensive than it absolutely has to be, so they buy the cheapest thing that seems fairly decent. This has the effect of creating the false impression among civilians that Glocks must be the best gun available - or else cops wouldn't want them, right?

A similar thing happened in CAD software years ago. AutoDesk was almost giving away their software for free to all the schools, creating the false impression among students that "industry must consider this the best CAD system software or it wouldn't be so widely used in schools" - but there was never any truth to it. Once you are out of school, you find that industry would rather use almost anything but crappy AutoCAD. I almost never get AutoCAD files from anyone because nobody uses it for serious mechanical engineering, but an entire generation was incorrectly taught in school that it was widely considered the best. Aside from in architecture, which is about the simplest possible use of CAD, it's actually considered to be the worst by almost everyone who's ever used anything else.

Public opinion gets steered in stupid directions for stupid reasons all the time.

I like Sig's and HK's and would dump my G20 in a second if either of them made a 10MM because I'm willing to pay more for a better gun.
^^^^^

This and Sig USA going with all kinds of "Special" models to get people to overpay even more for what the get.

The sad part is that the Sigpro line is a fantastic value. I got rid of a much drooled after 228 because the 2022 was a better concept all round and more accurate in my hands.

A funny example in hindsight is S&W and their "traditional" SA/DA autos. When sales slipped because of rising prices they came out with a "Value" line, it didn't save the designs (which in application aren't all that different from Sigs, they even copied the Sig hammer dropper on some models) but those value line guns sure are popular on the used market.

Other than the Sigpro they seem to want to make more expensive models to get fewer people to pay more for bling, rather than going for a larger base market.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:36   #13
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflasmg View Post
Prone to rust
Expensive
Long DA pull
Slow trigger reset
High bore axis
Ive never had any of mine rust. And the whole "high bore axis" does not mean much. I shoot 357sig and my high axis sig 226/229 shoots much softer than my glock 31/32/33.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:56   #14
TSAX
USAF Vet

Different guns are more popular in different areas for different reasons. Im would think Sigs are more popular in Exeter, NH. If you follow the Feinstein way of thinking everyone in the hood owns a Glock. I used to live in a city where the local PD carried the Sig P226 and at a few guns shows I worked I heard people constantly talking about how they want this gun because this PD carried them. I lived in another an area where the range north of me 15 miles had mainly 1911 shooters (local PD carried 1911) and 10 miles south of me mainly had Glock shooters.

Now I do get that Sigs have turned some people off with their QC issues, some of their "exotic" designs and the version 1 of the P250 and pricing. Just look or search the Sig forum, they complain about these issues and more. I happen to love Sigs especially the P228 and a few others.

And as one guy mentioned earlier even Sigs fans carry Glocks, is true I would add M&P to that. When I managed a shop/range people came in with their Sig X5, 229, 1911 but their CCW or HD gun was a Glock of M&P, not everyone but a lot. I would be interested to see how the P224 does in becoming a primary carry option vs the other carry options.

The Sig Sauer Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 02-02-2013 at 15:02..
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49   #15
mgentry

I think the dollars for a Sig turn most people off! Sig makes extremely fine pistols and rifles. I have a Colt 1911 to say I have one but I shoot Sigs and Glocks. For what I purchased them for, the Sig and Glock are my weapons of choice. You can say what you want, but these are the one I like, I trust, and they are the ones I take to the range. And when it is time to carry, you can rest assured that one of them is with me. Amen!

Last edited by mgentry; 02-03-2013 at 12:50..
mgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:30   #16
fran m

I think that they are quality arms. I do not like their models with the decocker. I have carried a Glock since 1990 or 1991. I have trained on them for years. I wouldn't mind owning a P220 SAO.

I think their is more craftsmanship in a SIG than a Glock. I did have a Sigpro that I sold. This gun was a 9mm DAO with a manual safety. I would say that this gun could give Glock a run for it's money. They are a bit bulky and never had a great popularity as a police arm.

For me, it is the decocker as the number one reason. Price would be second.

Last edited by fran m; 02-03-2013 at 20:35..
fran m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:06   #17
maxmanta

I'll take a plastic frame over an aluminum one. My preference is an old school HK steel frame.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:50   #18
ca survivor

Sigs are popular in my house.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58   #19
AtlantaR6

I don't like thumb safeties on my ccw.
AtlantaR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:58   #20
OhioGlock90

The only reason I dot have one and probably will not have one for awhile is because they are so EXPENSIVE! Other than that I like them

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Winchester Model 1897
OhioGlock90 is offline   Reply With Quote