SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 19:31   #81
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
I pick up 3 80% lowers on Monday. That's what you need to get Fred, that way uncle same does not know.
But I think the State Of California knows... And they're the ones to worry about.

EDIT: I'm not sure about this. I really don't know if the lowers are registered. I do know that my primary LGS won't handle lowers.

Lowers are serial numbered so I'm guessing that they are registered somewhere.

Another LGS I visited had 3 lowers for sale so they must be ok to sell in California. But I'm not clear about registration...

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 02-04-2013 at 19:42..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:34   #82
RustyFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
ThAt is exactly the point I made earlier Steve. Does anyone go to the store & buy toilet paper by the roll or do they go to COstco & buy 6m worth? Buy one beer or the 12 pack, it's no diff than reloading supplies, just budget better, buy big once or twice a year & move on.
Most of us have some money left over at the end of paying the bills, then we decide how to spend it. Dinner out, movies, what ever. I stopped going to the movies a few years ago, saves me $50 a pop & it comes out on DVD in 3m anyway. Carpool, gas is expensive. Again, stop smoking & drinking booze, lots of money to save there. The single biggest problem IMO, is people just don't pay attention. You would haev to be an idiolistic child to not have figured PBO was going to raise hell in his 2nd term. Whether he get's anything done or not, it still has an affect on all gun owners or would be gun owners. My only short coming was not buying another AR lower. Then again, I had to priooritize & buy ammo, primers & powder. See, it does work.
Zactly. I have always gone in with 2 or 3 friends and made a large order. I also can't believe some people didn't see this coming.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:58   #83
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
But I think the State Of California knows... And they're the ones to worry about.

EDIT: I'm not sure about this. I really don't know if the lowers are registered. I do know that my primary LGS won't handle lowers.

Another LGS I visited had 3 lowers for sale so they must be ok to sell in California. But I'm not clear about registration...

Richard

Nope I make my own lowers, my own serial # if I even want one and my own design. No one knows anything.

As Reloaders we should adapt the load to the gun, not the gun to the load.
EL_NinO619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:09   #84
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:

Richard
80% lowers are not registered and are not considered guns by the ATF. ( I don't if you have to register in California when they are finished. But you can only make them for yourself. You do not have to serial them or register them (Federal most states). Most of them are complete minus the color and the hole were the trigger group goes. You have to buy a jig. Unless you are going to do several it is cheaper just to buy a lower. Not to mention if you screw up with the drill press of milling machine you lower is toast.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:22   #85
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
80% lowers are not registered and are not considered guns by the ATF. ( I don't if you have to register in California when they are finished. But you can only make them for yourself. You do not have to serial them or register them (Federal most states). Most of them are complete minus the color and the hole were the trigger group goes. You have to buy a jig. Unless you are going to do several it is cheaper just to buy a lower. Not to mention if you screw up with the drill press of milling machine you lower is toast.
Ah! I wasn't even thinking about 80% lowers. Never even crossed my mind.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 02-04-2013 at 20:24..
Old 02-04-2013, 21:04   #86
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
I pick up 3 80% lowers on Monday. That's what you need to get Fred, that way uncle sam doesn't know.
I hope you are planning on using a milling machine. The ones finished with a drill press always seem to look like crap.
Old 02-04-2013, 21:09   #87
sharpshooter

The .22lr shortage is compounded by the recent flood of AR-style .22lr rifles, and their appetite for ammo.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:13   #88
PCJim

Quote:
I hope you are planning on using a milling machine. The ones finished with a drill press always seem to look like crap.
BUT, if you can only build it unregistered for one's self and can never transfer it, ugly doesn't matter as long as function is 100%.

I hadn't considered an 80% lower either, and saw many advertised back in Oct/Nov. It never dawned on me.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 23:06   #89
shotgunred
reloading nut

You can sell it. After you have owned it for a while. The test is you are making it for yourself not for resale.
Google it sometime. I was very interested at one time. But I don't have a mill even though I have a commercial quality press. By the time you are done it is cheaper to just buy one that is finished.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12   #90
fredj338

Quote:

Richard
The lower is the receiver & that has the serial # & that gets reg. Yes you can buy just a lower, complete or stripped. I also never thought of an 80%, but have access to a complete machine shop. Hmmm.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-05-2013 at 02:15..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41   #91
dkf

Just machined two 80% lowers. It does not really pay to to get an 80%, machine it and then send it off for type III hardcoat anodizing vs just buying a finished lower. But with an 80% you don't have .GOV sticking their nose in, no FFL transfer fees and you can customize the lower as you see fit. You are looking at around $50 per lower for the milspec hardcoat anodizing plus shipping both ways. But you can just duracoat it, anodizing just greatly increases the life of the lower.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58   #92
G31

Quote:
Yes it is because they suck at budgeting. Something that is a lot more important than shooting.

Just so as you know I was committing to you not him. Your the one snapping at people. I am going to give you the best advice your going to get on a reloading forum...
If you can't afford more than one box of primers quit shooting for now and get into a Dave Ramsey class. You will live the rest of your life better if you figure out how to handle your money and learn to live in a budget. If you cant afford it look at some local churches. Mine waves the class fee if you can't afford it.
Other than the first sentence, this post is not quite making sense. What are you committing to me? As I said, I have no issue with my budget, so why give me advice?

If you want to believe that lack of budgeting is the only reason people can't just go get what they want, then live in that world. Again, some people just don't have the disposable income, especially those with families and bills. With cost of ammo going up, some folks just can't keep up, especially with costs of other things needed in life doing the same. I know a lot of people who have switched to shooting mostly .22 LR just because of this. I also know people who have hobbies other than guns, and guns are not the top priority in the world, but they still like to be able to shoot and reload a little. A neighbor just got into reloading in the last 6 months, and has almost no components. I guess he should have purchased that reloading press just after the scare of '08, before he even owned a gun.

Proudly shooting guns in: .40 S&W, 9mm x 19, .38 Spl, 357 SIG, .45 Auto, 10mm, .22 LR, .22 WMR, .223 Rem, .300 Win Mag, and 12 Ga.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by G31; 02-05-2013 at 10:01..
G31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49   #93
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by G31 View Post
I know a lot of people who have switched to shooting mostly .22 LR just because of this. I also know people who have hobbies other than guns, and guns are not the top priority in the world, but they still like to be able to shoot and reload a little. A neighbor just got into reloading in the last 6 months, and has almost no components. I guess he should have purchased that reloading press just after the scare of '08, before he even owned a gun.
Well, I can shoot 45acp for a little more than 22lr, casting my own bullets. You are right, there is more going on in the world than shooting, BUT, if it is a priorty for you, then you budget for it & pass on other things. Snow boarding in Dec or buy 5K primers? I can always go snowboarding, as you've learned, can't always buy primers. See, pretty simple to prioritize hobbies & the funds for them.
Still, buying small ball is costing you more per round, pure & simple. So it's pretty bad economics to pay more for something when you can easily pay less. If your neighbor bought a reloading setup 6m ago, he should have also bougth a year supply of components. Noobs get a pass though, exp shooters, shame on you for not paying attention. Ammo & reloading stuff was readily available thru Xmas. People will always make excuses for their poor decisions. It's why this country is going the direction it is going.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 02-05-2013 at 10:55..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58   #94
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

I have access to a cnc mill.

Old 02-05-2013, 16:09   #95
Kentguy

Just stopped into a larger(er) sporting goods store in North Canton, OH. and picked up another bottle of WST and 500 230g FMJ Hornady bullets and 1k of CCI LPP.

They had just gotten in a small supply of Hornady bullets of most all calibers and "some" Sierra bullet calibers. They had almost NO powder (but they did have WST!), I bought the last 1k of LPP they had on the shelf. Man for such a large store they had some mighty slim pickins!

Moral of the story is I didn't walk away with much but I didn't walk away empty handed either.

Remember the theme song from the movie "Tin Cup"?
CHORUS:
A little bit is better than nada
Sometime you want the whole enchilada
A little bit is better than nada
A little bit or nothing at all

How true... how true.

Last edited by Kentguy; 02-05-2013 at 16:11..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:09   #96
ron59
Bustin Caps

Fred..... why budget and plan when it's so much more fun to ***** and moan?

G31....sorry to hear about your financial problems. What that *means*, is that in this time of shortages, you just don't shoot? You said that for yourself, (or these "others" you keep mentioning) shooting is not a priority. Well, with that being a case, NOT getting to shoot doesn't really hurt that much, does it?

Quote:
“WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!”
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:36   #97
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Fred..... why budget and plan when it's so much more fun to ***** and moan?

G31....sorry to hear about your financial problems. What that *means*, is that in this time of shortages, you just don't shoot? You said that for yourself, (or these "others" you keep mentioning) shooting is not a priority. Well, with that being a case, NOT getting to shoot doesn't really hurt that much, does it?
Do you have a soul? I say do what you can. I was just ignorent and thought I had enough. I still have a few K, but if this keeps up I will have to tap into my SHTF ammo, I have a few K of each caliber. If it keeps going longer, I will have to ask fred to teach me something and drive to his house and stuff a few bricks in my pocket after the lesson. By the way fred I need to check out your 650

Old 02-05-2013, 16:38   #98
Spiffums
I.C.P.

There was tons of primers at the last gun show......sadly I didn't sell anything I was trying to peddle at inflated prices to buy a 10k case and 8 lb jug of Clays.
Old 02-05-2013, 17:16   #99
EL_NinO619
EX-Swage Monkey

Hey Fred look at this, you all should just be glad your not in CA.

http://www.kcra.com/news/politics/Bi...v/-/index.html

Old 02-05-2013, 17:38   #100
F106 Fan

Quote:
Hey Fred look at this, you all should just be glad your not in CA.

http://www.kcra.com/news/politics/Bi...v/-/index.html
I just saw that at RecordNet.com (Stockton Record). This is a back door way to get long guns registered in the state.

I wonder if the state plans to set up a department like DMV to correlate whether those known to own handguns have, in fact, bought insurance.

EDIT: Then again, those with homeowner's insurance are probably not a big part of the problem. I guarantee that those with high dollar 401k's aren't going to be part of the problem.

It will be interesting to see what the limits will be and how much it will cost. Right now, I suspect that any judgements are paid for through homeowner's insurance.

More harassment!

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 02-05-2013 at 17:39..