Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 17:44   #1
Tom D

Glock Front Sight Nut

I recieved my Heine sight set today but the nut socket isnt here yet so I'll have to wait a little longer. It only took 2 3days for the sights.

I ordered 2 different one is the driver style and the other looks like a tube.

I thought I could turn down a socket but I didnt have one long enough but still the wall thickness must really be thin. Looking at the clearance around one side of the nut Im wondering how this is going to go. I wonder what Glock used because this is going to be touch and go with any "thin" walled socket.

Is this typical? the counter bore area around the nut is not concentric to the nut by an stretch of the definition. Hope this doesn't get to be a problem. Im thinking the wall of the socket will need to be paper thin. Maybe thats why the life expectancy of the tools is short lived as I read about it.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:12   #2
SouthpawG26

This is the typical tool:
Sights, Optics and Lasers

And this is the typical finished installation:

Hope that helps. Don't forget a little drop of low strength thread locker.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:38   #3
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
This is the typical tool:

And this is the typical finished installation:

Hope that helps. Don't forget a little drop of low strength thread locker.
It looks like what I have ordered, the one is like the picture you provided and one that is like a nut driver style

I have a model 34 and it does look like the clearance I see in your picture might be a tad greater on the narrowest side (forward), but the nut in your picture has the flat forward and on mine the nut point is forward and the appears there might be less clearance but I might be alright.

The 34 has a pass through hole on the bottom of the slide to reach the nut so its a little harder to get a clear view. Using a brighter light than I was first using maybe the clearance I see in mine might be equal to what I see in your pic.

Youd think Glock might get a little more centered with the sight hole and the clearance cut. Thanks again.

Your picture of the wrench really shows how it manages to work with the very thin wall.

And a drop of blue 271 (med) thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Tom D; 02-04-2013 at 19:48..
Old 02-04-2013, 20:01   #4
Black&TAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
...wonder what Glock used because this is going to be touch and go with any "thin" walled socket.
This is what I use, Glock hex tool, works like a charm, and have yet to wear it out after many installs.
http://webnode2.glockstore.com/media...7106_image.jpg
I also have an Ed Brown tool for front sights, but isn't long enough to reach the nut on Glocks with long slides.

Whatever you use, keep in mind it takes very little torque to screw into place. Just snug it up, and let the thread locker do it's job.

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited by Black&TAN; 02-04-2013 at 20:05..
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:58   #5
Tom D

i ordered the Ameriglo its 1 1/2" long and the reach on the Model 34 is about 1 1/8 so it doesn't offer a lot to grip. I also ordered the WIHA and it looks like it has a much longer reach they say 6 1/2 but half looks like handle.

Ive read else where that the screw is VERY tender I'll have that in the fore front for sure. thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 23:18   #6
SouthpawG26

Tom, I've used this type of tool and front sight hex nut on everything from a G26 to a G34,G35, and a G17L.

You'll be fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 17:34   #7
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
Tom, I've used this type of tool and front sight hex nut on everything from a G26 to a G34,G35, and a G17L.

You'll be fine.
Sights are on and think they are keepers. I shot two five rounds groups at 15yds off a rest and both groups were less than .75".

I set the rear using a dial indicator and centered the notch within .003" tir (that would be about .0015 off centerline determined off the sides of the slide. I see no need to adjust any more the point of impact was about 2" high and and an inch left of center.

I think the Heine sight are a winner.