Carry those trauma kits!

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/189147551.html

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 18:01   #2
ClydeG19

I've carried a QuikClot 25 ACS in my left cargo pocket for as long as I've been a cop. Thankfully, I've never had to use it on myself or another officer. I would use it on a child, firefighter, ems...maybe a hot girl who I followed for several miles.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:37   #3
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Wow! Talk about timing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 19:49   #4
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

I was trying to convince the department head of my current job to purchase something similar last week.

He looked at me as though I had six heads.
Old 02-01-2013, 19:53   #5
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
I was trying to convince the department head of my current job to purchase something similar last week.

He looked at me as though I had six heads.
They look that way at the paramedic we have that's all ate up with this kind of stuff. We have LOADS of mass-casualty equipment and training, thanks to him pushing for it, yet people think it's some kind of joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:01   #6
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

One of ours :( thankful for the haltom city officer there with trauma kit. He's out of surgery and doing well. Shot 3 times total. BG DRT.

Anyone interested in trauma kit should check out officer survival solutions. They make a kit that is vacuum sealed and fits behind trauma plate for $44, also have same kit made for pocket carry. Owner is a good dude and answered the phone on first ring.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by SCSU74; 02-01-2013 at 20:04..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:50   #7
ottomatic

I have a trauma kit with my rifle, but nothing on me. Does anybody know if maybe two of the two-Gram Celox pax might be enough for a "typical GSW?

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Matthew 5:9
ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 21:34   #8
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I had two pockets sewn on to my Bratwear, each side of my leg just above the knee. Left side contains a CAT, Combat Gauze and Sani-Wipe packs I get from the hosedraggers. The right at least four pairs of gloves.

I looked at some small kits but alas, they're were just a size too big for the pocket. This is my local go to kit guys:

http://www.officersurvival.org/

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 02-01-2013, 21:42   #9
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

My office just got 60 kits from Jake @ Officer Survival Initiatives. (Awesome service.)

They aren't doing any good in the boss's office. I liberated one last night before going to the range today.
Old 02-01-2013, 21:53   #10
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomatic View Post
I have a trauma kit with my rifle, but nothing on me. Does anybody know if maybe two of the two-Gram Celox pax might be enough for a "typical GSW?
Lots of variables. Depends on location and if there's an entrance and exit or just entrance wound. I carry 2x QC combat gauze on my person and 5x more between plate carrier and med bag. IMHO a tourn is more important than QC.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:40   #11
Ducowti

I keep a kit in my motor's pannier. Been there for years, hope it has no occasion for an appearance.

Ducowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38   #12
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
I had two pockets sewn on to my Bratwear, each side of my leg just above the knee. Left side contains a CAT, Combat Gauze and Sani-Wipe packs I get from the hosedraggers. The right at least four pairs of gloves.

I looked at some small kits but alas, they're were just a size too big for the pocket. This is my local go to kit guys:

http://www.officersurvival.org/
Thank you for the link, sir. Just ordered a Basic Patrol Aid Kit. And your peeps are from my (?) future home town of Kingston, to boot!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06   #13
Glockwork Orange

Tagged

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10   #14
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I used to keep Israeli bandages in my raid vest, my glove compartment, my desk, and everywhere else I could think of.
Old 02-02-2013, 17:12   #15
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

NewCop & Morris-

Thanks for the props, I'm glad you guys have been happy with us so far. And thanks for liberating that kit NewCop. You're right, they do no good in the bosses office.

Morris- your kit should be there by Tuesday. If you have any issues at all, let me know.

Let me know if anyone needs anything.

//Jake

OfficerSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07   #16
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

I'd sure like every LEO to be issues kits like these. I've managed a few kits from Jake, for my carry, but I don't know of anyone else who carries one.

My agency did issue us a package of Quickclot Combat Gauze and some extra gauze, which each person is ordered to keep in their glove compartment. I would like to see us go a step further and put some on every officer; at least, give them to each officer (I know some guys won't carry them).
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15   #17
walkin' trails

Its hard with many agencies to convince anyone holding the purse strings that individual trauma kits are a worthy investment. I was after mine to buy something with Quick Clot for years, and finally got something with gauze and a tournequet, but only for a few folks. I was able to get Israeli bandages a couple of years before, but only because they were dirt cheap. When there's no money for pouches to carry them, then stuff gets left in lockers, on desks, or in trunks. I have always been a proponent of just going out and buying what you need if the job doesn't issue it, but there are a number of folks out there who think otherwise.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30   #18
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

Walkin'-

I think trauma kits right now are where vests were 30 years ago. Everybody needs it, few acknowledge it, and nobody wants to pay for it. It's hard to convince an agency that $35-$50 is a worthy "investment" until they've been there. We've even tried to break it down by the numbers for the bean counting types. $35-$50 for a kit vs. an average cost of $1.3M for a LODD. Even that seems to be a hard sell. The good news is the idea is catching traction and we're seeing more and more folks pushing their bosses for the gear they need.

//Jake
Old 02-03-2013, 14:29   #19
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Jake has a new product from Phokus that is catching my eye:

http://www.officersurvival.org/colle...ns-trauma-kits

For those without a plethora of pocket to slip kits into.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 02-03-2013, 17:41   #20
pgg00

Something I need to get. I have bandages and a standard first aid kit in my car but nothing to carry on my person.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49   #21
DoogieHowser
Eh

Tagged for later, need to dig up the post I made detailing the things suggested in a kit.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55   #22
BigSpenda864

North American Rescue here in Greenville, SC has great products. They have everything from massive hemorrhage kits and casualty response kits to hypothermia prevention gear.

http://www.narescue.com/
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:14   #23
bccop

I forwarded this article to our Force Options Training Unit and they are now enthusiastically working towards getting us trauma kits. Just last month they gave us all CAT tourniquets.

Hey Officer Survival. I forwarded your company info. I like supporting local businesses.

I've been meaning to put together a small kit to put on my tac vest as well. Maybe I'll send a few more e-mails and try to get that issued instead of paying for it.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:15   #24
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

Thanks everybody for 1) Talking about trauma kits and 2) all the kind words and referrals for us! A couple quick notes-

North American Rescue- We love NAR and we carry a lot of their products, so if you're looking for a CAT or one of their other items, we match their advertised pricing and love to sell their kit. Since we carry other brands as well, we're a good mix & match spot (IMHO, of course).

Phokus Kits: These things are the heat and are flying off the shelves. Morris and I were talking the other day about how this is one of those "Why didn't I think of that" items that seems to smack you in the face. Unfortunately, I just got word from the manufacturer that the cheaper model (the LETK3G) has been D/C'ed so once the ones on our shelves are gone, that's it. I'd like to see these goes to LEO's so if you're on the fence, I would pick one up soon. Shoot me an email at jake@officersurvival.org with your GT screen name and your agency and I'll give you the agency price too. Or you can PM me here. Or call.

BC- Thanks for the referral! We love BC, it's like Washington only more mellow. At least once you get out of Vancouver. Let me know if you guys have any questions or specific needs.

Finally, a question for everyone. Would you be willing to carry less trauma gear if it fit in your soft armor's plate pocket? We're trying to find the happy medium on a new line that finds the balance between price, amount of gear, and size. I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

//Jake
Old 02-04-2013, 22:28   #25
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Guess I had better call you tomorrow then . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer