Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:37   #41
DoogieHowser
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
Is that why they don't have LEO Calenders like they do FFs
Fark, forgot about that I need to get calender worthy before I get out of rookie school
Old 02-04-2013, 13:48   #42
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
I haven't puked either, but we certainly have had the bucket out just in case. One WOD was a ton of burpees and then a a million squats, lunges, jumping lunges, jumping squats, and then more regular squats and lunges. Got queasy. Definitely got light-headed.

What amazes me is that during week 1, my recovery would take days. Now, I feel almost fine after a night's sleep. Even at my age (39 as of Jan 30th) the body adapts better than I thought it would.

The only thing I have trouble with is movements that require jumping. My left knee just ain't havin' it.

How often are you going?
I'm 38 years old also. I work out six days a week generally. As far as crossfit, I go 4 to 5 times a week usually. I spend the other days running or go on really long walks. Just keep at it and your knee should get strong enough to start doing all the exercises. I have a torn labrum in my shoulder that was acting up when I did traditional workouts (especially benching and shoulder presses). Once I got into Crossfit, the rest of my muscles got strong enough to compensate for the injury and I rarely have any issue with it anymore. It can only be repaired with surgery but I don't need it really now. Sometimes, it starts hurting when I do overhead squats so I just do thrusters or something similar on those days. It takes a few months of Crossfit before your body truly adjusts to it. Some days I can recover overnight while other days I have to take a day because I am smoked.
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:22   #43
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
I'm 38 years old also. I work out six days a week generally. As far as crossfit, I go 4 to 5 times a week usually. I spend the other days running or go on really long walks. Just keep at it and your knee should get strong enough to start doing all the exercises. I have a torn labrum in my shoulder that was acting up when I did traditional workouts (especially benching and shoulder presses). Once I got into Crossfit, the rest of my muscles got strong enough to compensate for the injury and I rarely have any issue with it anymore. It can only be repaired with surgery but I don't need it really now. Sometimes, it starts hurting when I do overhead squats so I just do thrusters or something similar on those days. It takes a few months of Crossfit before your body truly adjusts to it. Some days I can recover overnight while other days I have to take a day because I am smoked.
Ahhh yes shoulder injuries rock. My left shoulder has crazy tendonitis, but I've found as long as I keep it moving day-to-day it does ok.

I'm doing CrossFit 3x per week right now. Trying to give the connective tissues time to adjust.

One thing is for sure - even with my fat ass slinging around weight and doing burpees and all that crazy stuff, my back has NEVER felt better.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:43   #44
siblueg
Gray Area

Just watched that episode as well... And yes I need to work out again!
siblueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 15:04   #45
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
Ahhh yes shoulder injuries rock. My left shoulder has crazy tendonitis, but I've found as long as I keep it moving day-to-day it does ok.

I'm doing CrossFit 3x per week right now. Trying to give the connective tissues time to adjust.

One thing is for sure - even with my fat ass slinging around weight and doing burpees and all that crazy stuff, my back has NEVER felt better.
Nice. Glad to hear it. When I was a month or two in I was always worried I was overworking myself and thought all the little aches and pains were a problem. Once your body adjusts (as much as it can anyway) to the rigors of the WOD's, things stop hurting so much. My core strength is much higher than it has ever been.

Back in December I hadn't been under a bench press in months. I assumed I was much weaker since I hadn't done even a rep so I went to the old gym to find out. I was able to get within 10 pounds of my previous max without having done it once in 3 or 4 months. It's just because my core strength has improved so much.

BTW, its freaking addictive if you haven't figured it out yet.

Today's WOD is going to be tough. Headed there in about 30 minutes:

2013-2-3 Monday

10 min AMRAP
5x Power Clean
20x Double-unders
5x Dead lift
10x Jumping jacks

Followed by “Karen”
For Time: 150x Wall Balls
Old 02-04-2013, 15:15   #46
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Nice. Glad to hear it. When I was a month or two in I was always worried I was overworking myself and thought all the little aches and pains were a problem. Once your body adjusts (as much as it can anyway) to the rigors of the WOD's, things stop hurting so much. My core strength is much higher than it has ever been.

Back in December I hadn't been under a bench press in months. I assumed I was much weaker since I hadn't done even a rep so I went to the old gym to find out. I was able to get within 10 pounds of my previous max without having done it once in 3 or 4 months. It's just because my core strength has improved so much.

BTW, its freaking addictive if you haven't figured it out yet.

Today's WOD is going to be tough. Headed there in about 30 minutes:

2013-2-3 Monday

10 min AMRAP
5x Power Clean
20x Double-unders
5x Dead lift
10x Jumping jacks

Followed by “Karen”
For Time: 150x Wall Balls
I don't know if my box will publish the WOD in advance. And I don't jump rope. Not yet anyway. Tears my knee up. Another couple months maybe.

150 WB could be a puker.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

S&W Club - 22227
Old 02-04-2013, 16:01   #47
Schaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krathis View Post
I was on bike patrol for like 3 years and absolutely loved it. I considered it being paid to work out! When I got off bike patrol, the pounds came back on quickly and I'm still struggling to get it off. Working nights doesnt help either... ;(
Come do bike patrol in my coverage area, entire town is on a hill a mile long.

I actually put on about 20 pounds in the academy and i was running 15 plus miles a week and lifting 3 days too. I've been trying to get back into shape.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:07   #48
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I gained 5 pounds of weight overall in the academy but lost 6% bodyfat, go do the math on that one.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:20   #49
blueiron

It's time for collective L.E. and realize that physical fitness is important, arguably more important than having the advanced degrees that many administrators are enamored with. Mandate standards, provide workout time, equipment/subsidized gym memberships, etc. It really is that important.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:21   #50
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Fitness standards went by the wayside when it was realized that most admin wouldn't meet the standard and there would be tons of liability for WC when officers hurt themselves working out on duty.

Last edited by lawman800; 02-04-2013 at 21:21..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:58   #51
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

+1 for the flu/bronchitis/sinus infection weight loss program. I spent most of last week in bed & dropped ~12lbs.

I just picked up PX90 from a buddy, hoping to capitalize on the trend. Watched it for an hour but don't really feel any different. Maybe I need to watch it longer.

The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29   #52
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I am 44 and I am in damn good shape. I work my ass off for it too.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42   #53
scottydl

Folks new to working out (or getting back into it after a long break from exercise) should be careful with intense programs like Crossfit. Lots of potential for injuries in the form of tearing muscles/tendons.
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:40   #54
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
It's time for collective L.E. and realize that physical fitness is important, arguably more important than having the advanced degrees that many administrators are enamored with. Mandate standards, provide workout time, equipment/subsidized gym memberships, etc. It really is that important.
It's such a can of worms for agencies. The few that have standards and/or provide incentives for fitness and have been doing so for some time are pretty solid. It's agencies that want to start something up that are afraid of paying workman's comp for workout related injuries that have to figure it out.

I know of one agency that requires that sworn personnel complete the entry testing (sit ups, push ups, sit and reach, 1.5 mile run) at periodic intervals (I can't remember if it's every six months, quarterly, etc). They pay the troops for participating (obviously) and award extra personal leave time for passing. Everybody wins, and there is a little extra incentive in staying in shape. They have very few folks that look like they're out of shape, too.

My agency has no program, but we have very few notably overweight or out of shape folks overall. That is helped out by being a relatively young department due to retirements and added positions in the last few years. Our special response team (18 members / rougly 22% of sworn staff) also must meet physical standards, which would count towards that, too.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02   #55
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Folks new to working out (or getting back into it after a long break from exercise) should be careful with intense programs like Crossfit. Lots of potential for injuries in the form of tearing muscles/tendons.
Agreed to a point. I will say that if you have a decent Crossfit instructor, that's not a problem. They should be teaching you the movements and only letting you do the things you are able to. Although vaginitis is not a valid excuse to not do a workout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04   #56
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
Quote:
Agreed to a point. I will say that if you have a decent Crossfit instructor, that's not a problem. They should be teaching you the movements and only letting you do the things you are able to. Although vaginitis is not a valid excuse to not do a workout.

THIS.

I've spent half a work out practicing a skill with no weight or with PVC for a movement that will take place in the future. I haven't even done a full clean yet (hang cleans only) and probably won't until my mechanics are solid. It's hard to "tear" muscles and connective tissues when your mechanics are solid. Sore does not equal damage.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05   #57
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
It's such a can of worms for agencies. The few that have standards and/or provide incentives for fitness and have been doing so for some time are pretty solid. It's agencies that want to start something up that are afraid of paying workman's comp for workout related injuries that have to figure it out.

I know of one agency that requires that sworn personnel complete the entry testing (sit ups, push ups, sit and reach, 1.5 mile run) at periodic intervals (I can't remember if it's every six months, quarterly, etc). They pay the troops for participating (obviously) and award extra personal leave time for passing. Everybody wins, and there is a little extra incentive in staying in shape. They have very few folks that look like they're out of shape, too.

My agency has no program, but we have very few notably overweight or out of shape folks overall. That is helped out by being a relatively young department due to retirements and added positions in the last few years. Our special response team (18 members / rougly 22% of sworn staff) also must meet physical standards, which would count towards that, too.
A couple years ago I actually floated the idea of a defined physical standard and the union *****ed like a school girl.

S&W Club - 22227
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10   #58
BigSpenda864

There are several agencies around me with physical standards but not many. Most of those agencies use a basic obstacle style course that incorporates stairs, low hurdles, short run, climb through window, etc. Its very easy. Some dudes fail though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32   #59
golls17
Lifetime Newbie

Quote:
There are several agencies around me with physical standards but not many. Most of those agencies use a basic obstacle style course that incorporates stairs, low hurdles, short run, climb through window, etc. Its very easy. Some dudes fail though.

Just wondering, what happens if/when they fail?

Sent from my Sprint Milky Way Galaxy S...
My comments are my own opinions and are not intended to be interpreted as the position of my department.

golls17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 16:39   #60
BigSpenda864

Quote:
Originally Posted by golls17 View Post
Just wondering, what happens if/when they fail?

Sent from my Sprint Milky Way Galaxy S...
If you fail you have to retake it within 6 months. If you fail again you have to take it in the next 3 months and if you fail that one your gone. I think it's happened about 10 times in the last 10 years or so.

Last edited by BigSpenda864; 02-06-2013 at 08:58..