SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 15:37   #1
Seawolf

Glock & Special Forces

General Glocking

FORT BRAGG, N.C. Special Forces operators give a close-quarter drill demonstration to participants of the 2012 U.S. Army Special Operations Command Capabilities Exercise, April 26. (USASFC(A) Photos by Staff Sgt. Marcus Butler)

Good enough for our SF and the British, but not our Infantry and Marines. just sayin.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap
Seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:13   #2
voyager4520
-----

They still have that misconception that the average soldier needs a manual safety.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:20   #3
spartanranger

That's not it at all. The military would love to have Glocks but in order to supply the US military, the design has to be open sourced. The army for example buys m-4s from several different suppliers, because they dont want the risk of one source drying up and their being left high and dry on their supply.

Glock has refused to do this, and why shouldn't they? They have more than enough business world wide and they are still backordered. Hell, everyone uses them but us.

Special Forces bypasses normal military channels for procurement; they get whatever they want with a huge budget to boot. So that is why you will see them with HK-416s, glocks, 1911s, or whatever else they feel like.
spartanranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:21   #4
DFin

What model/caliber is it?
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:24   #5
M 7

Probably 9x19
Old 02-04-2013, 19:27   #6
SouthpawG26

Never noticed the "shoot'em in the nutz" kill box before....Very high speed and low drag...
Old 02-04-2013, 19:35   #7
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFin View Post
What model/caliber is it?
Word is they have been shooting the G17, G22, and even the G35 for several years. Why do you think Glock made the 22 round .40 magazines a couple years back?
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:36   #8
Opie 1 Kenopie
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
Never noticed the "shoot'em in the nutz" kill box before....Very high speed and low drag...
I'm pretty sure they call that the Pelvic Girdle.
A solid hit there usually stops an ambulatory person from moving further. It doesn't stop him from shooting you, stabbing you or flipping you off.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:37   #9
gunowner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
gunowner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:37   #10
redbeardintx

LOL the "shoot en in the Nutz" box. Thats a new one for sure. Actually that is a common target in a failure to stop drills. The target might be wearing concealed body armor or be on some type of mind numbing drugs. The pelvic girdle target is shot if it does not respond to normal center of mass hits. The idea is damage to this area will stop the aggressor form moving.
redbeardintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:41   #11
Tiny Killer Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post
A solid hit there usually stops an ambulatory person from moving further. It doesn't stop him from shooting you, stabbing you or flipping you off.
Technically, it won't stop him from shooting you or flipping you off, but it is hard to close the distance with an edged weapon or club with rounds in your hip. It's a useful secondary target against an advancing opponent if center mass shots don't seem to be affecting him (plates, drugs, et. al.) It's also easier to get a cenral nervous system shot on someone laying on the deck than someone running at you.

Last edited by Tiny Killer Robot; 02-04-2013 at 19:42..
Tiny Killer Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:41   #12
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager4520 View Post
They still have that misconception that the average soldier needs a manual safety.
Ahh, the average soldier DOES NEED a manual safety. They needed them in past wars; and they're going to need them in future wars, too. (It's just that, the way things are going, they're not going to have them!)

Hey! See that target? Anybody know where I can get about 50 of them? (I see Ayoob's, 'pelvic girdle shots' are back in vogue.)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:42   #13
tango44

Tagged!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:44   #14
GaryC

Is that a Safariland ALS holster?
GaryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:16   #15
spartanranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie 1 Kenopie View Post

Shots are placed there if you need to avoid body armor and cannot do a quick head shot. The idea is to 1. slow them down, 2. there are massive blood vessels there and a subject can bleed out very fast from a shot there (think femoral artery leg hits, that vessel goes through the pelvis), and 3. with a slow down or quick bleed out, you can follow that up with a head shot.

Remember, even center mass shots are not guarnteed anything. The idea is to cause central nervous system damage, organ damage, or enough blood loss to shut down major systems like the brain. That can still be caused with pelvic shots.

So all joking aside, that is why it is taught in military and law enforcement circles.
spartanranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:21   #16
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

That box makes me cringe
Old 02-04-2013, 20:31   #17
ancient_serpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Ahh, the average soldier DOES NEED a manual safety. They needed them in past wars; and they're going to need them in future wars, too. (It's just that, the way things are going, they're not going to have them!)

Hey! See that target? Anybody know where I can get about 50 of them? (I see Ayoob's, 'pelvic girdle shots' are back in vogue.)
If the illiterate Iraqi's get by ok without them, I think our guys would do fine.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:33   #18
Glockwork Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
Probably 9x19

Or a G23...Delta has been using them...
Old 02-04-2013, 20:33   #19
Fen

Yep it's a g19. The holster isn't the greatest but its issued bc it allows for the surefire light
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:37   #20
ancient_serpent

One of my buddies with 75th said they were using G22's or G23's. It's been a while since we talked and I can't remember.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote