Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:01   #21
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Back of the head at a downward angle seems to be most efficient. Don't try the lung shots with a duty pistol, I've seen guys unload full magazines trying to get one to stop moving.

Some of those things are very resiliant.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32   #22
ChiefWPD

Remember, at close range your shots will impact about an inch under the top of your front sight. Seen some messy animal dispatches due to this!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:41   #23
VA27

I use a 22 pistol or rifle with subsonic HP, one shot back of the head. Aim just above the axis, where the spine and skull join. At night I blind it with the spotlight or my streamlight so it can't see me coming up from behind. I have also done it with a Beretta 950 25ACP. Worked just as good as a 22.

Just be aware of what's downrange and plan accordingly.

Yeah, it'll flop some.

The NRA is my union.
VA27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:27   #24
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWPD View Post
Remember, at close range your shots will impact about an inch under the top of your front sight. Seen some messy animal dispatches due to this!
Ths is important to remember. Even at contact distances it's going low. If you approach the animal from behind so it can't see you it won't panic as much.
Old 02-04-2013, 13:37   #25
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
If you approach the animal from behind so it can't see you it won't panic as much.
Approaching wives in this fashion is equally effective.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:42   #26
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
Specifically deer.

I don't know if its just my area and they are ghetto deer but these dang things will just shrug off an F250 collision and jump around on 2 legs in a ditch.

It took 4 shots to the back of the deer head and this thing was still kicking.

Last week my partner had to pull out the ol 870 after 3 rounds to the back of the head.

.40 s&w. winchester ranger and some are usinf federal hst, we probably put down 2-3 deer a week, more so lately. Any ideas on the quickest way to put them down?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1 .357 magnum round to the side of the neck and I never had one even twitch again(also tells you how long ago I was a cop lol...we still were issued revolvers(S&W model28) and even the academy taught with revolvers) but living then and working in RURAL Western New York state put down many and that was always the shot 1 shot and never even had 1 flinch after the shot ,instant kill.

Id say we put down a minimum of 10-15 a year when i was on duty(mostly nights 4-12pm)

Last edited by CBennett; 02-04-2013 at 13:44..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:10   #27
ateamer
NRA4EVR

I've had to dispatch two deer so far. One was a double tap behind the ear from a Glock 22 and the second was double to the chest from an AR-15. Both were nearly instantly effective.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:19   #28
ditchdoc24

A single shot to the head with a Speer Gold Dot in .40 S&W has always worked for me. At my first agency, had a Captain come out to a wreck involving a deer. The quote as he left the office was "I better go out there before they start shooting up the neighborhood." When he got to the scene, he pulls out the shotgun to dispatch the deer. After two rounds of OO buck at close range and only notching an ear, he finally gets a slug and manages to finish the job at an even closer range. The best part was that he was the Firearms Instructor and used to brag about how well he could shoot.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:31   #29
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Nuke them from orbit, its the only way to be sure.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 02-04-2013, 15:07   #30
BigSpenda864

We aren't allowed to dispatch animals (unless they're attacking of course). We have to call the game wardens who might not show for hours. They're too scared we'll shoot something were not supposed to. There is a special exception in the policy where a supervisor can allow it but that never happens.
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 16:12   #31
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Not LEO. I have put down more then a couple car accident deer, and half dozen cattle. (some injured) and many other animals.
I talked to bucher. He said said "imagine a line from Right eye to left ear, left eye to right ear. Where the lines cross shoot just below that"
I have even taken deer with that (.22 pistol) and the jaw is on ground before echo of shot dies. I tried the (behind the ear) and the 1100 lb steer turned it head and looked at me like "WTF was that????" 2nd shot in (sweet spot) and its face hit ground. I will NEVER try another shot area.
I have never tried .22lr on cattle.(But bucher uses a .22 lr MAG rifle for everything including buffalo. 9mm, .45 acp only for pistol rds
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:19   #32
silentpoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
If you approach the animal from behind so it can't see you it won't panic as much.
Also wear a kilt so it can't hear the zipper.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 17:32   #33
Sheepdog689
NRA Life Member

Visualize an X between their ears (top legs of the X) and their eyes (bottom legs of the X). One shot in the center of X will take care of it. I used to carry a .22 lr pistol on patrol just for putting down deer that were injured in accidents. Worked every time.
Old 02-04-2013, 17:59   #34
Kahr_Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigent View Post
Amateurs......

1 or 2 solid ASP strikes to the flat spot on the head will do it every time.....

Ammo wasters......
I have slit a deer's throat before.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 18:01   #35
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

I got called out to a car vs deer once & the family had turned the car around and gone back to find the deer after they hit it.

When I arrived the deer was in their headlights with dad, mom & kids in the car watching the thing try to crawl around on it's front two legs (it's back was broken & rear half was dragging). I told dad to have his family look away while I put it down. One shot to the back of it's head and it flopped on the ground like a sack of flour.

A few minutes later I'm talking dad through the accident report & one of the kids lets out a scream. I turned around to see this thing scrambling up onto the road with all it's might with it's two front legs, trying to GTFO before I shot it again. So, I ran over and put three in it's chest nearly point blank, right behind the front "armpit". That time it didn't get back up.

At this point I looked back at the car to see the whole family wide-eyed staring at me. Kids started bawling, mom was crying, general disarray. Not my most shining moment.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.

Last edited by GumbyDammit; 02-04-2013 at 18:05..
GumbyDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:23   #36
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyDammit View Post
I got called out to a car vs deer once & the family had turned the car around and gone back to find the deer after they hit it.

When I arrived the deer was in their headlights with dad, mom & kids in the car watching the thing try to crawl around on it's front two legs (it's back was broken & rear half was dragging). I told dad to have his family look away while I put it down. One shot to the back of it's head and it flopped on the ground like a sack of flour.

A few minutes later I'm talking dad through the accident report & one of the kids lets out a scream. I turned around to see this thing scrambling up onto the road with all it's might with it's two front legs, trying to GTFO before I shot it again. So, I ran over and put three in it's chest nearly point blank, right behind the front "armpit". That time it didn't get back up.

At this point I looked back at the car to see the whole family wide-eyed staring at me. Kids started bawling, mom was crying, general disarray. Not my most shining moment.
Zombies. Eeesh.

-Edward Conlon
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:31   #37
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyDammit View Post

I know you LOL now every time you think about that.

One child's memory is of me putting a round into a sick raccoon while his dad watched. Didn't know he was staring out the bay window.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:32   #38
CW Mock

Use the shotgun.

Works better, faster to clean up.

I generally use a rifled slug, but 00 Buck works just fine too. Headshot or torso shot stops them literally dead in their tracks.

Plus its just a shotgun, so it won't piss Joe Biden off like an assault rifle or deadly fully semi automatic pistol would.
CW Mock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:45   #39
walkin' trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg00 View Post
Right behind the ear. Never had a problem.
I've only had to put down one that was too injured to walk. I hit it with a .22 from a S&W Model 63 right behind the ear. It kicked once and that was the end.
Firearms Instructor
walkin' trails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:00   #40
pgg00

A while back I got called to a collision. The officer asked on the radio if I could kill it because he "never shot anything before".

Sgt stops traffic one way while wussy officer stops other side (behind fire truck so he couldn't watch). I asked the Sgt several times if he wanted to let the vehicle he had stopped go by 1st. He said to go ahead and shoot it. I did so.

He had stopped a school bus. I asked him later why and he said "they gotta learn the real world at some point"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote