GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2013, 18:54   #26
Hedo1

Government by and for the people. If enough of them organize, form a representative government and abide by the laws of the state, seems they'd be able to form a police force as well. I mean we let schools have a PD, what's wrong with a neighborhood doing so.
Old 01-25-2013, 18:55   #27
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedo1 View Post
Government by and for the people. If enough of them organize, form a representative government and abide by the laws of the state, seems they'd be able to form a police force as well. I mean we let schools have a PD, what's wrong with a neighborhood doing so.
It just got real.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Benjamin Franklin
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 20:38   #28
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Copper View Post
I take great pleasure in telling "HOA board members" to piss off at a scene.

You really just pulled up in the middle of these police cars and fire trucks, with all these people in uniform running around, to proclaim that you're on the HOA board and demand to know what's going on? Yeah, this is your only warning to GTFO or be arrested.

Can you tell I've dealt with these mutts before?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
They are huge PITA... the HOA presidents, cannot get it through their skulls, that if it isn't state law I can't enforce it as a Deputy Sheriff. Next on the list is township trustees, wanting parking enforcement with no signage, and code violations.
Old 01-25-2013, 23:29   #29
Ohio Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
They are huge PITA... the HOA presidents, cannot get it through their skulls, that if it isn't state law I can't enforce it as a Deputy Sheriff. Next on the list is township trustees, wanting parking enforcement with no signage, and code violations.
When I first started four years ago I got a noise complaint one night at the local HOA, roughly 2200 hours. I knock on the door of the condo and it's two young kids and their dad playing XBOX.

I couldn't hear it from the street (if it's not more than 150 feet it's not an ordinance violation) but you could hear it inside the house and I'm sure you could hear it ever so faintly next door. Just so happens the queen bee lives next door.

She couldn't fathom why I didn't tell them to shut it off. Just because it's annoying you doesn't mean it's illegal. The dad volunteered to turn it down and he advised he was probably going to move his TV around so as not to disturb the adjoining wall. We all BS'd for 10 minutes or so and then I let the two boys play with the lights in the patrol car. Turns up the guy is a C.O at the next county jail over. Really nice guy and I regularly stop and shoot the bull with all of them when they are out.

We could both see her staring through the blinds at us and we were both

She's the same one who rolls up on scenes in the area and DEMANDS to know what's going on.

Karma's a byatch though because I guess in the next jurisdiction she caught a failure to comply arrest because she decided to drive around a patrol car blocking the roadway of a fatal crash.

I could never EVER live in one of those places.

Last edited by Ohio Copper; 01-25-2013 at 23:30..
Ohio Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52   #30
ditchdoc24

Stone Mountain Park has their own Public Safety department. Their Officers are sworn and have powers of arrest on Park property. http://www.stonemountainpark.com/ Actually, their Assistant Chief used to be my Lt when I was a hosedragger/paramedic years ago.

The county I work in has only one subdivision with a HOA and they have a security guard. All he does is ride around and call us when he sees something.
ditchdoc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29   #31
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Other than security with limited arrest authority I haven't heard of that here. I don't care for HOA organizations.

Sent from my communicator.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52   #32
texmex

Here in Texas, if you do not pay your HOA dues, they can file a lawsuit and foreclose on your house. People don't pay their HOA dues, then get notice of the lawsuit and ignore that, then a deputy shows up and hands them a Notice of Sale for their property. If they don't settle with the HOA by paying the fees, penalties, attorney fees and court costs, their home will be sold at public auction on the courthouse steps. Some of the HOA meetings are so heated, they hire off duty officers to keep the peace at the meetings.
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55   #33
krathis

HOAs have their place and if managed properly serve their purpose. I live in a HOA community and have served on the board and president in the past. It's a thankless job, and one I will probably never do again, but it's a necessary evil. I'm the youngest person in the community (most are retirees) and like the many posts above, they tend to focus on petty stuff they should not be focusing on. I'm a LEO in the town next door and have the local PD forward me copies of anything wacky that goes on in the community.

I live here and have a vested interest in locking this place down against general d-baggery. Biggest problems are from the small amount of renters we have, and "salesmen" and other people trespassing even though both entrances are clearly marked. Does the board still have their pet peeves about parking on the street and what kind of front door I can install? Sure..but they're also keeping my neighbors from painting their houses purple and parking on the front lawns like this is some housing project. It's all about balance.

Last edited by krathis; 01-27-2013 at 07:57..
krathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19   #34
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Other than security with limited arrest authority I haven't heard of that here. I don't care for HOA organizations.

Sent from my communicator.
Old 01-27-2013, 20:29   #35
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
I wish our association could have a police department.

We do have a public works department, though, and, as president, I get to be director. It consists of six orange cones I can borrow from a neighbor, and a bag of asphalt patch and a tamper that I get to buy. I am in charge of patching alley potholes.

It is good to be president...

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:22   #36
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

The perfect storm... a CALEA accredited HOA!
Old 01-27-2013, 23:14   #37
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Cop Talk
Old 01-29-2013, 21:50   #38
norm357

There are several private police departments in GA.

The already mention Stone Mt Dept of Public Safety.
Cnn Center police.
Railroad police.
Most private universities have police depts. The Largest private college being Emory University.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54   #39
JerryVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by krathis View Post
HOAs have their place and if managed properly serve their purpose. I live in a HOA community and have served on the board and president in the past. It's a thankless job, and one I will probably never do again, but it's a necessary evil. I'm the youngest person in the community (most are retirees) and like the many posts above, they tend to focus on petty stuff they should not be focusing on.

. It's all about balance.
^^THIS
So many people are quick to complain about HOAs on here and every other internet forum in the world but when you ask how many meetings they have been to or ask if they have tried to run for the board themselves the answer is usually 0 and no. I see the same thing in my community as well. So many people complain but few residents take action. This is the reason I have sat on my HOA as president for 5 years now. I will not let our community go down the path as so many other HOAs that become tyrannical and bloated. My job is to keep everyone's property values up through continuity of the community in assuring upkeep and visual appeal but apply logic to situations and not fine an elderly man with a dead patch of grass in the middle of dry season instead of pitching in and getting people to help him out. I always tell people who stop me on the street as I am walking around to come to the meeting if they have a problem they want addresses or a complaint on how things are being run but they would rather complain than take action.

[/rant]

Sorry had to get that off my chest after my HOA meeting 2 days ago.

JerryVO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 13:14   #40
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Funny, I just came across a link to this article on Second City Cop

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3707885.story

I've heard of this happening in the upper-end guard gated communities here where they actually had private security (in crown vics with push bumpers of course) running radar and attempting to make traffic stops. Apparently in IL it's legal for an HOA to allow police impersonators to falsely imprison people.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:16   #41
FH Alum

Quote:
Cnn Center police.
Wait...What????? CNN has their own sworn PD?

That seems to be a bit hypocritical and explains a lot. Who cares about rights when you have your own private force at your control.
Old 01-30-2013, 19:26   #42
Walter Bishop

In Virginia, these private police are known as Special Conservators of the Peace and within their special jurisdiction they have the power to make warrantless arrests and traffic enforcement. I believe the only thing they cannot do is execute warrants. They are appointed by a circuit court judge who sets their geographic jurisdiction which can be as small as the employers private property or as large as the entire circuit court. This could be an entire county.
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:15   #43
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopela View Post
^^THIS
So many people are quick to complain about HOAs on here and every other internet forum in the world but when you ask how many meetings they have been to or ask if they have tried to run for the board themselves the answer is usually 0 and no. I see the same thing in my community as well. So many people complain but few residents take action. This is the reason I have sat on my HOA as president for 5 years now. I will not let our community go down the path as so many other HOAs that become tyrannical and bloated. My job is to keep everyone's property values up through continuity of the community in assuring upkeep and visual appeal but apply logic to situations and not fine an elderly man with a dead patch of grass in the middle of dry season instead of pitching in and getting people to help him out. I always tell people who stop me on the street as I am walking around to come to the meeting if they have a problem they want addresses or a complaint on how things are being run but they would rather complain than take action.

[/rant]

Sorry had to get that off my chest after my HOA meeting 2 days ago.
Yeah, I would but then I had a full-time job which dictated that I be away from home at least 1+2-14 hours a day and of course, the tyrant witch always made meetings at very inconvenient, if not impossible, times.

I tried making one and missed it by a bit and caught what was basically a farce of a meeting where nobody was allowed to participate and everyone just gave up in disgust. There were tons of opposition but the old retired villains just had their own en bloc stranglehold on the whole place. I moved out around the two year mark. I had enough.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40   #44
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Last time I was there, they had security guards, but most of them were retired police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH Alum View Post
Wait...What????? CNN has their own sworn PD?

That seems to be a bit hypocritical and explains a lot. Who cares about rights when you have your own private force at your control.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20   #45
steveksux
Massive Member

So what do the Homeowner Association Police have on the back of their raid jackets? HOMO POLICE? : whistling:

I think we can all agree Association would be too big to fit and the abbreviation would be much too awkward to add to that.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by steveksux; 01-31-2013 at 09:26..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21   #46
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

Quote:
....that are issued 10MM sidearms

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:25   #47
knoxvegasdaddy
UBER VOL !!!

If an H.O.A. policeman knocks on my door without an appointment, and is not wearing his hat, do I REALLY have to bring my trash can in from the curb RIGHT THEN, or can it wait until tomorrow?

Counting on someone else's self restraint for your safety is not a strategy. - OLY-M4gery
knoxvegasdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59   #48
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvegasdaddy View Post
If an H.O.A. policeman knocks on my door without an appointment, and is not wearing his hat, do I REALLY have to bring my trash can in from the curb RIGHT THEN, or can it wait until tomorrow?
That's like the beginning of a bad joke, An HOA Policeman walks into a bar...
Old 02-01-2013, 05:43   #49
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
That's like the beginning of a bad joke, An HOA Policeman walks into a bar...
More power to you if you can turn that into a worse joke than mine...

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by steveksux; 02-01-2013 at 05:44..
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42   #50
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

The raid jacket alone would be worth it... HO POLICE. Wear that to your local main drag to scare all the ladies of the night.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote