Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2012, 13:08   #1
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Newb

Okay, so, I've been bitten by the bug, and looking into trying to learn to fly. What should I look for in a school or in an instructor? What kind of questions should I ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53   #2
CJStudent
Fenced In

Wow, this is a lively bunch, lol.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 01-01-2013, 20:16   #3
vote Republican
White and nerdy

Maybe it's an FAQ? Try looking at all posts in this forum, there's some other beginner threads.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04   #4
sns3guppy

Don't pay the school up front. Paying a little in advance is fine, but don't trust a school that wants everything up front. They have a nasty habit of going out of business.

You have two basic methods: Part 61 schools, and Part 141 schools. "Part" refers to the section of the Code of Federal Regulations (sometimes referred to as the "FAR's") that provide the rules for the training you'll undergo.

Part 61 schools are generally less structured, more tailorable to your needs. Part 141 schools generally use a strict syllabus, with regular checks on your progress.

You'll be tempted to think that your flight instructor is highly experienced. Usually the flight instructor is the least-experienced pilot in the industry, and it's a "time building" entry-level job. Keep that in mind when shopping around for an instructor. Try to find one with more experience. Remember too that flight hours don't mean much; a 20,000 hour pilot with 10 hours of instruction given is a 10 hour instructor. A 300 hour pilot with 50 hours of instruction given has five times the experience, which is still just a drop in the bucket. It's best to find an instructor who has more flight experience and more instruction experience. You're learning judgement as you go, and those without experience often only know what they've been told...and it's not always correct.

High-wing vs. low-wing in a training airplane...doesn't make any difference.

Look for value, but don't scrimp. Many rental places and schools do minimal maintenance. Schools that also run charter services or that have maintenance repair stations attached often have better maintenance. While the outward appearance of the aircraft isn't really a good indication of the actual mechanical condition of the aircraft, it's a good place to start.

Don't get too caught up in schools advertising all the bells and whistles in the aircraft...GPS and display screens. They're not necessary, and you may be better off learning the basics without too many gimmicks on board.

When a school tells you that you can complete the private pilot certificate in 40 hours, they're telling you about the FAA requirements. Students typically take longer...about 70 hours on the average...which means the cost will be about 35%-50% more than what's advertised. You'll also have other expenses, such as a headset, which can add anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand dollars to the cost.

The more frequently you can fly, the better you'll progress. Shoot for two or three times a week, if you can. The more you space the lessons out, the more time you'll need to get through the training, and the more it will cost.

Ground school is a good idea, but not necessary. You can order training videos or CD's. Most are pretty good, except the King series. Sporty's or other pilot supply places have them. Aviation organizations (AOPA, EAA, etc) and aviation web boards are good places to start.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31   #5
sourdough44

Go to the AOPA site & sign up for 'Flight Training Magazine', it should be free for a student pilot(even wannabe).

Look into some of the aviation forums, piperforum.com is a good place to start. You have to be a member to get to the AOPA forums, another good one.

If I lived closer I'd take you up in my Piper Warrior. It's in the shop for the 'annual' now. I plan to go check in on it today.

If you're really serious, try to make it up to 'Airventure' in Oshkosh, WI this Summer. It's near the tail end of July or so. There is also 'Sun n Fun' in Lakeland, FL in April or so.

For flight training I'd try to keep the flights fairly condensed, once a week or more, weather permitting. That's so you don't have to keep relearning the same thing with longer breaks between.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14   #6
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
Don't pay the school up front. Paying a little in advance is fine, but don't trust a school that wants everything up front. They have a nasty habit of going out of business.

You have two basic methods: Part 61 schools, and Part 141 schools. "Part" refers to the section of the Code of Federal Regulations (sometimes referred to as the "FAR's") that provide the rules for the training you'll undergo.

Part 61 schools are generally less structured, more tailorable to your needs. Part 141 schools generally use a strict syllabus, with regular checks on your progress.

You'll be tempted to think that your flight instructor is highly experienced. Usually the flight instructor is the least-experienced pilot in the industry, and it's a "time building" entry-level job. Keep that in mind when shopping around for an instructor. Try to find one with more experience. Remember too that flight hours don't mean much; a 20,000 hour pilot with 10 hours of instruction given is a 10 hour instructor. A 300 hour pilot with 50 hours of instruction given has five times the experience, which is still just a drop in the bucket. It's best to find an instructor who has more flight experience and more instruction experience. You're learning judgement as you go, and those without experience often only know what they've been told...and it's not always correct.

High-wing vs. low-wing in a training airplane...doesn't make any difference.

Look for value, but don't scrimp. Many rental places and schools do minimal maintenance. Schools that also run charter services or that have maintenance repair stations attached often have better maintenance. While the outward appearance of the aircraft isn't really a good indication of the actual mechanical condition of the aircraft, it's a good place to start.

Don't get too caught up in schools advertising all the bells and whistles in the aircraft...GPS and display screens. They're not necessary, and you may be better off learning the basics without too many gimmicks on board.

When a school tells you that you can complete the private pilot certificate in 40 hours, they're telling you about the FAA requirements. Students typically take longer...about 70 hours on the average...which means the cost will be about 35%-50% more than what's advertised. You'll also have other expenses, such as a headset, which can add anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand dollars to the cost.

The more frequently you can fly, the better you'll progress. Shoot for two or three times a week, if you can. The more you space the lessons out, the more time you'll need to get through the training, and the more it will cost.

Ground school is a good idea, but not necessary. You can order training videos or CD's. Most are pretty good, except the King series. Sporty's or other pilot supply places have them. Aviation organizations (AOPA, EAA, etc) and aviation web boards are good places to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
Go to the AOPA site & sign up for 'Flight Training Magazine', it should be free for a student pilot(even wannabe).

Look into some of the aviation forums, piperforum.com is a good place to start. You have to be a member to get to the AOPA forums, another good one.

If I lived closer I'd take you up in my Piper Warrior. It's in the shop for the 'annual' now. I plan to go check in on it today.

If you're really serious, try to make it up to 'Airventure' in Oshkosh, WI this Summer. It's near the tail end of July or so. There is also 'Sun n Fun' in Lakeland, FL in April or so.

For flight training I'd try to keep the flights fairly condensed, once a week or more, weather permitting. That's so you don't have to keep relearning the same thing with longer breaks between.
Thanks, guys. My family got me a groupon for three hours of ground school and a 30-min discovery flight at a local flight school (Cardinal Wings Aviation) that seems reputable; I know for a fact they've been in business at least 15 years or more, as my sister did a ride with them when she was really young with her girl scout troop (amazing reference, I know, lol, but at least I know they've stayed in business). It seems the owner also runs a charter business as well.

Well, I have the ground school initial section on Saturday, and they said I can schedule the flight anytime thereafter. I hear you on the frequency of training; I'm just trying to do as much as I can afford, though. At least I have some extra holiday pay and overtime on my next check!

ETA: Link to the school. http://cardinalwingsaviation.com/

I seem to recall that they are Part 141, but I could be .wrong

Quote:

Last edited by CJStudent; 01-02-2013 at 10:16..
Old 01-05-2013, 18:22   #7
CJStudent
Fenced In

Well, did the three hours of ground school today, and scheduled the flight for next Thursday! We'll see how it goes then. As an aside, when he showed us how to do a preflight on a Cessna 172, well, he also inadvertently showed us WHY preflights are done, lol. The lower hinge on the port side door was missing the pin, causing the door to almost fall off when he opened it. Yeah, that grounded it until they could get the part. The bad part is someone was scheduled to use the plane at noon, and we found this at 11:30.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22   #8
sourdough44

How's the flying going? Did you get er up? I was going to go yesterday, to meet a guy about a possible firearms related deal, we postponed over some last minuted issues.

I have the plane heated & ready to go. With temps down just above zero I had the Tannis plugged in along with a smaller 'space-heater' inside the plane, low setting.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:50   #9
Pilotdude3407

The write up by guppy is spot on. Good luck with flying. Keep us up to date!
Pilotdude3407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 22:49   #10
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
How's the flying going? Did you get er up? I was going to go yesterday, to meet a guy about a possible firearms related deal, we postponed over some last minuted issues.

I have the plane heated & ready to go. With temps down just above zero I had the Tannis plugged in along with a smaller 'space-heater' inside the plane, low setting.
Well, I discovered it's not for me, lol. I had a pretty bad panic attack as we got in and started to start it up. It didn't help that when I was trying to rest my arm on the door I accidentally opened it, either, lol. It's weird, though; they absolutely fascinate me, and at the same time scare the ever living **** out of me. Weird dichotomy, I know.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 00:05   #11
sns3guppy

Don't let it deter you.

I'm scared of heights, too. Still managed to have a fairly successful career, though.

Give it a few more tries.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17   #12
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Don't let it deter you.

I'm scared of heights, too. Still managed to have a fairly successful career, though.

Give it a few more tries.
I'm not talking a little scared, lol; I'm talking full-blown almost crap my pants panic attack!

It did get me to stop and think about what I was doing, though. All this would be for me really would be a hobby; why would I want to go into debt over a hobby?

Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 22:35   #13
sns3guppy

Only you can answer that.

A lot of folks have gone into debt over that "hobby" and then turned it into a career.

I never got used to heights. Still don't like ladders. My first 100 parachute jumps, it never changed. Neither did the next...and I still get the same feeling near the edge of a building or cliff.

An aircraft, though...the floor is only three feet beneath you.

If you don't want to fly, however, don't. Nobody is forcing you.

Why go into debt? Because you want to do it. Flying isn't a necessity, but it does ring true for a lot of people who feel they've got to do it. Most never regret it. One or two flights isn't enough to tell.
Old 01-28-2013, 17:18   #14
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Only you can answer that.

A lot of folks have gone into debt over that "hobby" and then turned it into a career.

I never got used to heights. Still don't like ladders. My first 100 parachute jumps, it never changed. Neither did the next...and I still get the same feeling near the edge of a building or cliff.

An aircraft, though...the floor is only three feet beneath you.

If you don't want to fly, however, don't. Nobody is forcing you.

Why go into debt? Because you want to do it. Flying isn't a necessity, but it does ring true for a lot of people who feel they've got to do it. Most never regret it. One or two flights isn't enough to tell.
Thanks. I'm pretty well mid-career in corrections at the federal level, so I'm near 100% certain this would not end up as a career for me.

I do want to say that I have greatly appreciated the advice given here.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03   #15
sourdough44

O.K., sorry about the anxiety. Here are a few options, the main being don't judge flying by the 1st flight or 2. It takes a few to start developing your 'seas legs'. You could always try again, on a day with ideal weather, no bumps.

If you sniff around the airport you may be able to find someone you can go up with at times, for free. One can also be an aviation buff without being a pilot, another way to be involved with the joys of flight. Go to a local fly-in next Summer some time, should be several not to far from you.
Old 01-31-2013, 21:24   #16
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
O.K., sorry about the anxiety. Here are a few options, the main being don't judge flying by the 1st flight or 2. It takes a few to start developing your 'seas legs'. You could always try again, on a day with ideal weather, no bumps.

If you sniff around the airport you may be able to find someone you can go up with at times, for free. One can also be an aviation buff without being a pilot, another way to be involved with the joys of flight. Go to a local fly-in next Summer some time, should be several not to far from you.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Quote: