SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 13:16   #21
Dakotaota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladd Gardner View Post
Let me know how the LWD barrel performs. I have had nothing but great experiences with the company and I love the 6" barrel in the G20. Thanks for your kind words about my long slide.

Will do...Im hoping it shoots well. I would love to do a lil hunting with this gun.
Old 01-30-2013, 19:22   #22
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
Thanks Ladd for the information. That gun looks great. quick question what is the "grip reduction" for the G20 that Short Cut wrote about?
Here's a link so you can see some photos.

http://www.coldborecustom.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 22:10   #23
TDC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
TDC20, I also have the Meprolight adjustable sights recently installed, but the installer I think discarded the writtne info that accompanied the sigh. Looking at the sight, I can tell that the top screw moves the point of impact up when turned counterclockwise; and the right screw moved the point of impact left when you turn in clockwise. However, the marking above the left screw looks like it says "MID" or "MICE" or something.

Questions if you know:

(1) How much do the Up and Left screws move the point of impact either in MOA or in inches at 25 yards, etc... for each click?

(2) What does the left-side "Mice" screw do?

P.S. I know it likely doesn't say "Mice," but that seems funny to me, and I can't think what else it might say.
I looked at the "Mice" markings under magnification, and I think it says, in two different fonts, "M" and "H3". I think the big "M" is for Meprolight, and the "H3" is for tritium. I couldn't find my paperwork, either, but I don't think the screw on the left side needs to be turned.

You have the directions for the adjustments correct, I believe. Adjust the screw on the right side CCW for right, and CW for left.

I can't really tell you how many turns moves the impact at 25 yards, but I do have a little math that tells me for a G20 sight radius of 6.84" (measured mine with the Meprolights), to move one inch at 25 yards, you would need to move the rear sight by 0.0076". I hope that helps. It's been so long since I zeroed mine, and pretty much everything I shoot out of it uses the same zero, that I forgot what the adjustments were for 25yds.
Old 01-30-2013, 22:25   #24
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
I looked at the "Mice" markings under magnification, and I think it says, in two different fonts, "M" and "H3". I think the big "M" is for Meprolight, and the "H3" is for tritium. I couldn't find my paperwork, either, but I don't think the screw on the left side needs to be turned.

You have the directions for the adjustments correct, I believe. Adjust the screw on the right side CCW for right, and CW for left.

I can't really tell you how many turns moves the impact at 25 yards, but I do have a little math that tells me for a G20 sight radius of 6.84" (measured mine with the Meprolights), to move one inch at 25 yards, you would need to move the rear sight by 0.0076". I hope that helps. It's been so long since I zeroed mine, and pretty much everything I shoot out of it uses the same zero, that I forgot what the adjustments were for 25yds.
I know that my old BoMar adjustables on my G20L were supposed to be 2/5ths of an inch (.4") for each click at 25y... Or very close. I would use that as a ball park figure. Hell, it might have been .4" @ 50y... Hmmmm
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27   #25
MarineHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post

Thanks TDC20 and nickE10mm. I will ignore the left-side screw for now, but I still wonder what it does.
MarineHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26   #26
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
Here's a link so you can see some photos.

http://www.coldborecustom.com/
Beautiful work. I'm amazed at how affordable his services are, especially given the quality of the workmanship. I can see why there's a line out the door for his grip work...

When I started working on my Glocks back in the early 2000s, there really weren't many guys doing this, and the few that were wanted a lot of $ for simple grip improvements.

I've done a couple dozen customizations of weapons with polymer frames, and the Glock's nylon6 was one of the easiest/most forgiving to start out with.

I don't see how Lane does the work he does, while charging such modest fees. At a minimum, it takes four/five hours to remove the finger grooves, remove the backstrap hump (requires epoxy fill work, and the epoxy isn't cheap), do a full, 360 degree texturing, paint, etc. Plus, he's paying for the return shipping??

Wow.

If he'd been available, back when, I'd never have gotten started.

I will say -- for guys who'd like to do simple stuff to make their Glocks more comfortable to shoot (e.g., easing/raising the sharp outside corners on strong-side of the trigger guard) -- that a cordless Dremel and inexpensive Radio Shack soldering iron, plus some fine-grit sandpaper and automotive polish -- can be all the kit you need to improve the comfort and shootability of your polymer-grip weapons.

I have a feeling that Lane is either going to have to raise his pricing, soon, or hire some additional help. The wait times eventually become an issue for customers, I'd imagine.

To bring this back into thread focus, I'll add that grip improvements to the Glock 20 have been pretty key, for me -- especially with the long slide --- because the gun is somewhat nose-heavy, and this makes for trigger guard and grip discomfort, without some enhancements. Hope to get a review from you, when you get your G20 back from Lane.
Ladd Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45   #27
TJ Superfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
You might want to put a red dot sight on it for hunting. Personally I wouldn't get a magwell as it isn't needed for hunting and would get in the way for carry.

The 10 Ring
Shortcut, What kind of grip tape do you have there? Do you like it?
Thanks,
TJ Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03   #28
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyj61 View Post
Shortcut, What kind of grip tape do you have there? Do you like it?
Thanks,
I swiped that photo straight off the Glockworx website I think. Here's a link:
http://www.glockworx.com/grip_pr-3717.aspx

Short Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:22   #29
jdDub

Quote:
Hey, man,

If you're looking for a great hunting rig, you may want to contact Robert Bailey at Lone Wolf Distributors. He and I collaborated on a Glock 20 long slide, and I've been very, very happy with it.

Their armorer, "Dan," is a great guy, and he engraved my LWD slide with the Glock markings and added the titanium striker and some other slide parts that make this gun shoot like a dream. I also added a "Ghost Rocket" trigger connector, which comes with a heavier trigger spring and lighter safety plunger spring.

The LWD build also included a heavier (22#) recoil assembly.

I have put several thousand rounds of 180 gr. /1300 fps handloads (Blue Dot 11grs), and have had no problems at all.

I also love the 8 MOA Burris Fastfire III red dot sight. This is the sweetest shooting Glock I've ever owned, and I can't imagine a better hunting pistol.

If you're interested in contacting Lone Wolf Distributors, Bob Bailey (sales mgr) can reference the work done on my order ("Ladd Gardner/Colorado) and you'll know you're going to get a rig that shoots great.

Dan at Lone Wolf did the engraving on the slide (Glock markings), and he did a great job. I had already ordered the KKM 6" barrel, and I didn't see the need of getting it threaded for a compensator or suppressor. The extra 5/8" of an inch would've been too much barrel for my tastes, and made an already VERY long hunter completely unwieldy.

The 10 Ring
That is beautiful, I'm doing one very similar. I'm sending it to CCR for Cera-Hide and using DeltaPoint is all. Bob is gone, so if you have any other tips on springs/tuning it's appreciated.

Last edited by jdDub; 07-02-2013 at 16:24..
jdDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:01   #30
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdDub View Post
That is beautiful, I'm doing one very similar. I'm sending it to CCR for Cera-Hide and using DeltaPoint is all. Bob is gone, so if you have any other tips on springs/tuning it's appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear Bob is gone. I'm hoping Luke is still there in sales, and he's very knowledgeable. The armorer who did the work at LWD was "Dan," and he's a great guy. I think the stock G20 recoil spring is 17 pounds, and I swapped this out for the 22# spring, when I went with the longer slide. I'm not sure the heavier spring is actually necessary because of the substantially more significant mass of the slide for the 6" barrel. Both seem to work, and I've had no failures to feed or function. I HAVE had a couple of light primer strikes, and I'm going to go with a heavier Wolf spring (7#) for the striker. Other than that, this is by far my most accurate and fun to shoot Glock.

I've been loading 180 gr TCFMs (Roze Distributors' Zero Bullets) with 11 grains of Blue Dot or 9.2 grains of Longshot (1.25 OAL) both of which chrono at about 1350 fps at our local range, here in Basalt CO (6500' elevation 75F)

Gun is super soft-shooting and a gas to shoot. With the red dot sight, I can routinely shoot 3" groups at 25 yards.

Good luck with yours!
Old 07-02-2013, 17:17   #31
tilefish

Now THIS is a custom G20

http://www.carolinashootersclub.com/...=1#post1092023
tilefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:22   #32
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilefish View Post
Love Uncle Ted, and everything he's done to promote the shooting sports. Great looking G20.
Old 07-02-2013, 19:47   #33
jdDub

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear Bob is gone. I'm hoping Luke is still there in sales, and he's very knowledgeable. The armorer who did the work at LWD was "Dan," and he's a great guy. I think the stock G20 recoil spring is 17 pounds, and I swapped this out for the 22# spring, when I went with the longer slide. I'm not sure the heavier spring is actually necessary because of the substantially more significant mass of the slide for the 6" barrel. Both seem to work, and I've had no failures to feed or function. I HAVE had a couple of light primer strikes, and I'm going to go with a heavier Wolf spring (7#) for the striker. Other than that, this is by far my most accurate and fun to shoot Glock.

I've been loading 180 gr TCFMs (Roze Distributors' Zero Bullets) with 11 grains of Blue Dot or 9.2 grains of Longshot (1.25 OAL) both of which chrono at about 1350 fps at our local range, here in Basalt CO (6500' elevation 75F)

Gun is super soft-shooting and a gas to shoot. With the red dot sight, I can routinely shoot 3" groups at 25 yards.

Good luck with yours!
Good tips, thanks. Luke is still there, good guy to deal with. Small world, Basalt is my range too. Just put 200 rds down range in last Sunday breaking in my new Kimber.
jdDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 22:07   #34
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdDub View Post
Good tips, thanks. Luke is still there, good guy to deal with. Small world, Basalt is my range too. Just put 200 rds down range in last Sunday breaking in my new Kimber.
Shoot me a PM, if you want to see the Glock 20. We've probably been shooting at adjacent benches and not even realized it.