SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 19:53   #151
whoflungdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
Every one of those systems is already in place.

NICS have to be done through FFL transactions (and that is the leading idea that looks like it has a REALLY good chance to pass in Congress). This idea would be counter to that.

Changing a DL CAN be free, but if there's a fee, you add that to the costs of the person required by law to get it.

What information do you expect would have to be added for the DL agency? A note from a judge that says "Add this restriction" and the DMV rep punches one button. There is no further info that the DMV rep would need to have. NO PHI would be involved. NO DoC records would be involved.

The only sharing of criminal and mental health information that would be going on is the sort that is supposed to be going on right now (and isn't).

So, again, where do you see any cost to taxpayers that's not already there?
First of all you obviously have no knowledge of how government, IT systems, and Health records work. HIPPA makes it very difficult and cumbersome to share health data and keep it secure and protected. I've pointed out several ways how this is gonna cost more. You really think that all the DMV would have to do is punch a button and poof it's there? Where do you think that button comes from?

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 22:09   #152
jlbeasley1976
Southern BTGOG

[QUOTE=mgs;19905521]That's what I do! Our local indoor range will not let you shoot unless you have a carry permit. It keeps the Gangbangers, felons and scum out where they belong....not on a gun range.

Dear MGS, are you freakin serious? You'd rather them be out on the streets shooting innocent people and doing drive-bys than standing beside you shooting holes in paper for a little while. You're a bigoted moron.

Last edited by jlbeasley1976; 01-29-2013 at 22:12..
jlbeasley1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00   #153
mad.gunsmith
Silver Membership
Life NRA member

wife and i ware talking the same and the best was CHL (Carry permit)
here in Texas if you have CHL the FFL doesn't do a NICS check so the idea is either you have a CHL or a gun buying card similar to the FOID with it that you are a person that can buy fire arms for a fee of $20 for 2 years and useful if you are buying P to P not really a big issue if buying from FFL unless you some time get delay
You, Sir, are already a hero in my eyes.
mad.gunsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34   #154
pillboxhat5

[QUOTE=WarCry;19927510]No one says you HAVE to check. But if you get caught selling to a felon, guess who's taking the fall? And that's the way it is RIGHT NOW.

Keeping people in jail indefinitely is impractical and completely ludicrous. Some sentences are shorter than others, and people aren't a danger, so they finish their sentence and get released. They are STILL felons, and STILL can't vote or have guns. That is the way the law works in this country today, right now.

One of the aspects of this idea would also change that: Once you're no longer considered a threat - say, if you've served your sentence and your probation - then you would automatically get ALL of your rights back, including the right to vote and to own guns, barring any unusual circumstances (for instance, if your felony conviction was armed robbery, you probably don't really need a gun).

The simple answer of "keep them in jail" is never going to work. You see the comments around here? People are throwing a damn fit over the thought that it might cost $5, $10 to issue a new drivers license (which I still say apply to the person getting the license anyway). You think the MASSIVE tax-payer expense of keeping people in prison forever is going to fly?UOTE]

Well im just a crazy libertarian but I think maybe if we started locking up the violent offenders for extended periods of time instead of going after the non violent offenders we could have less people in jail and safe streets. I don't believe that a felon who has done there time and paid the price for their sin should not have a god given right the defend themselves!! You are still not seeing the point here that guns are not the problem!! freedom is not the problem!!!
pillboxhat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40   #155
pillboxhat5

"Keeping people in jail indefinitely is impractical and completely ludicrous. Some sentences are shorter than others, and people aren't a danger, so they finish their sentence and get released."

plus if they are not a danger then why when you look at gun violence in this country do you see that 75-78 out of 80 murders a day are done by repeat offenders???
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24   #156
somebodybuymeaglock

Quote:

As to the privacy, there would be no detail listed. It would actually be LESS information than a check that an NICS check would run. Basically, it's a "Yes" or "No" system, with no explanation needed for a "no".

I do understand that not all felons are dangerous, and I understand that not all crimes have victims. However, regardless of the REASON for the felony, the restrictions against firearms still stands.

And, as I've addressed, there would have to be a path in place in ALL states to petition to restore the rights - and that path should be in a "shall-issue" style. Meaning that the restoration of rights should be near-automatic unless there's something specific that would bar that restoration.
If there is a 'no' on my dl, then someone can put 2+2 together and figure that im either a felon (which even here people seem to equate that with child molester, murderer, etc) or adjudicated mentally deficient.

Heaven forbid you break some obscure law and become a felon. I think the issue here is that everyone things being a felon is something that can never happen to them when in fact, all you have to do is break some obscure,senseless law.

I'm sure that path with include exorbitant fines. Even for victimless crimes in some places have gone up 10 fold.
somebodybuymeaglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53   #157
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodybuymeaglock View Post
If there is a 'no' on my dl, then someone can put 2+2 together and figure that im either a felon (which even here people seem to equate that with child molester, murderer, etc) or adjudicated mentally deficient.

Heaven forbid you break some obscure law and become a felon. I think the issue here is that everyone things being a felon is something that can never happen to them when in fact, all you have to do is break some obscure,senseless law.

I'm sure that path with include exorbitant fines. Even for victimless crimes in some places have gone up 10 fold.
But that complaint isn't about the idea I put forward. That's a complaint about the legal and judicial system in this country. That's an entirely different subject.

Whether you agree with WHY a person is a felon or not doesn't matter. A felon cannot buy or own firearms. That's the way it is now, and this idea I put out there isn't trying to change that. That would be something you'd need to talk with your congress-critters about.

BTW, for those who don't understand what I or Skorper have said, turn on CSPAN right now. With everyone who's addressed the hearing so far, stronger background checks is the one thing they all agree on. And so far, only one person has spoken AGAINST universal background checks.

Don't like the idea I've put forward? That's fine! But ya might wanna think of something else quick, because it sure looks like universal checks are not as far away as you might think.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58   #158
whoflungdo

Quote:
But that complaint isn't about the idea I put forward. That's a complaint about the legal and judicial system in this country. That's an entirely different subject.

Whether you agree with WHY a person is a felon or not doesn't matter. A felon cannot buy or own firearms. That's the way it is now, and this idea I put out there isn't trying to change that. That would be something you'd need to talk with your congress-critters about.

BTW, for those who don't understand what I or Skorper have said, turn on CSPAN right now. With everyone who's addressed the hearing so far, stronger background checks is the one thing they all agree on. And so far, only one person has spoken AGAINST universal background checks.

Don't like the idea I've put forward? That's fine! But ya might wanna think of something else quick, because it sure looks like universal checks are not as far away as you might think.

Here's some more fly in your ointment. What makes you think your idea and universal background checks are mutually exclusive? Why wouldn't it be "reasonable" to do both? Doubling down on growing government and making it more intrusive. Because neither will work to keep guns out of the hands of felons..

GTDS Certified Member #9
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 13:24   #159
pillboxhat5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoflungdo View Post
Here's some more fly in your ointment. What makes you think your idea and universal background checks are mutually exclusive? Why wouldn't it be "reasonable" to do both? Doubling down on growing government and making it more intrusive. Because neither will work to keep guns out of the hands of felons..
you are exactly right! these things wont work there are much deeper problems and it has nothing to do with guns!!! for some reason we hear this narrative over and over again and our side starts believing these things!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 22:22   #160
Stock Perfection

self edit- too wordy

Last edited by Stock Perfection; 01-31-2013 at 17:54..
Stock Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57   #161
platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
Very few felons are getting guns from sales via individuals? Are you sure about that? Aside from stealing them that is exactly how they are getting them. I have dealt with several cases involving felons being in possession of guns under disability and in less than fifty percent of these cases did the guy actually steal the gun. He just went out and bought it.
Unintentionally making a private sell to a person who otherwise would have a failed a background check -- is a problem. I agree with the above post.

This is only possible in some states (not all -- for example it is not possible in NC for handguns at least, but possible in FL)

Yes, I know that in recent mass shootings the perpetrators did not obtain a firearm from a private sale without a background check.
And yes, I realize that liberal media is using this specific issue as a preamble for the lie about '40% of guns are sold without background checks'.

nevertheless, my view is that the specific issue needs to be closed.

Methods to close it vary from issuing a separate from carry, a purchase license, to FFL only sales (which I would not support), to a hot line accessible to individual sellers.
platform is offline   Reply With Quote