GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 23:38   #1
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,125
Home inspection business

Does anyone here own a home inspection business, or do home inspections for a living?


posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 23:46   #2
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,075


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Does anyone here own a home inspection business, or do home inspections for a living?


posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I looked into it about fifteen years ago and I'm sure things have changed, but errors and ommissions insurance policies and the required bonding were prohibitive at the time for my rural market. Urban areas might be a different story, I'd imagine. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 00:15   #3
larry_minn
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 17,805
I/ve never done it. I would think you would need a background in construction, electrical, plumbing..... at least at a handyman level.

I have gone WITH lic/bonded/etc home inspectors. (lets say I was not impressed) You need to be able to spot what looks WRONG. (some stuff they missed. electrical wires just "ending" in basement) No wire nuts, even electrical tape on ends. Roof vents not sealed, clear DIPS in roof line. (rotten lumber under shingles) foundation issues (just look at the dang thing)
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 00:27   #4
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,075


Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
I/ve never done it. I would think you would need a background in construction, electrical, plumbing..... at least at a handyman level.

I have gone WITH lic/bonded/etc home inspectors. (lets say I was not impressed) You need to be able to spot what looks WRONG. (some stuff they missed. electrical wires just "ending" in basement) No wire nuts, even electrical tape on ends. Roof vents not sealed, clear DIPS in roof line. (rotten lumber under shingles) foundation issues (just look at the dang thing)
This is exactly why I looked into it. The guy we hired missed an illegal septic system. HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:34   #5
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
This is exactly why I looked into it. The guy we hired missed an illegal septic system. HH
I was toying with the idea of taking a class at the local community college on home inspecting. The class prepares you to take the test to become licensed. On the surface it appears to be a good opportunity to start my own business for less cost then a store front, with the potential to make decent money.



posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38   #6
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,125
Bump

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41   #7
4095fanatic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 950
Ashi certified inspector is the way to go if you do it. All I have to say on that.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 775
187 Members
588 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42