SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-28-2013, 21:10   #26
harlenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy seal View Post
What you someone need to do to fix that one Harlem? If other member backs out I might drive down and grab it if price is right. Which I am unsure of!
Nothing wrong with it, it's just the original one, and is outdated compared to modern tech.
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:02   #27
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Whatever you do don't take my multitouch trackpad, or backlit keyboard for that matter.

Adapter for the TV? I can't say I've ever plugged any of mine into a TV. With a $99 Apple TV I can just click and mirror it on the TV.

I'm in sales so I find it interesting how people value different things in the same product.

How would it fare against the 13MB Air?
The Air is in a different category. Thus far I have not seen a competitor that can match it in performance, but it definitely costs quite a bit.

I have an adapter to plug mine to the TV via HDMI. I have probably done it 10 times total, as I have a dedicated HTPC. For me, it's mainly the principle of the thing. There is no good reason for Apple to not include a standard HDMI port, unless they are trying to make money off accessories. The other point being that for my needs, Apple TV mirroring would not suffice. My blu ray rips are encoded in h264 .MKV container with uncompressed 5.1 channel HD audio that I bitstream to my AVR. The only setup that can give me the bandwidth I need is HDMI. Just an additional hoop that Apple forces me to jump through, instead of sticking with the industry standard.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 22:53   #28
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Don't know the exact model or exact specs, but it's a 14" one with a core i7 CPU. Comparing with my Core 2 Duo MBP (design-wise, not performance-wise), it is both lighter and bigger, with a considerably better screen resolution and brighter display. I can't speak for battery life. I suspect the price is cheaper (it was given to her by her school) than a comparable current MBP. Overall for me, I value weight saving and cost above things like a backlit keyboard and multitouch trackpad. I also really don't like the MBP chicklet keyboard, and much prefer the one on my old Dell as well as the Lenovo. To be honest, I don't see the value of the MBP trackpad vs the standard one. As far as features go, I hate the fact that I have to buy a special adapter to output to a TV, when every laptop has the standard HDMI output, and I find that having only 2 USB ports so close together, I often can't plug in 2 flash drives at the same time. It's a prime example of form over function that is prevalent in this laptop and most other Apple gadgets.
Current MBPs have HDMI, USB ports on opposing sides, 15" screens, and i7 processors. They're also thinner and lighter than previous models. In other words they've addressed every complaint you have about your Core 2 Duo MBP except for price.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design-retina/
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07   #29
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
My original ipad runs awful. So bad, that I retired it and it's sitting in a drawer somewhere in my house.

It seems that the older hardware can't run the newer software efficiently anymore.
I'm still rocking my first-gen iPad, and I have the same issue. It was the iOS 5 update that did it in, and it only got worse with each update. No doubt, the original iPad didn't get the iOS 6 update from Apple, since it would have fried it.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:11   #30
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
The Air is in a different category. Thus far I have not seen a competitor that can match it in performance, but it definitely costs quite a bit.

I have an adapter to plug mine to the TV via HDMI. I have probably done it 10 times total, as I have a dedicated HTPC. For me, it's mainly the principle of the thing. There is no good reason for Apple to not include a standard HDMI port, unless they are trying to make money off accessories. The other point being that for my needs, Apple TV mirroring would not suffice. My blu ray rips are encoded in h264 .MKV container with uncompressed 5.1 channel HD audio that I bitstream to my AVR. The only setup that can give me the bandwidth I need is HDMI. Just an additional hoop that Apple forces me to jump through, instead of sticking with the industry standard.
I've reached the point that I'll agree that Apple has lost the edge in the mobile market by letting iOS stagnate but I still think you're mistaken on the notebook lineup.

I see where a spec guy like yourself would get frustrated. Apple is often late to integrate some specs, like USB3 but pushes the envelope with others like Tbolt (which the Lenovo doesn't offer) and retina displays. Also, the typical macbook display is generally much, much better than the typical off the shelf pc laptop. And, as best I can tell the lenovo line doesn't offer the milled unibody aluminum body that macbooks have for the last several years. Then you bring in the trackpad, which I maintain is a BIG differentiator and little touches like the magsafe plug that has saved my ass more times than once. All in all Apple is still making the finest notebook line available though at a premium and when you spec it out it may not appear so. The MBP 15" Retina is arguably the finest laptop ever made by anyone. It doesn't bother me to pick up a $30 accessory adapter when needed. Does anyone make anything to compare to the 27" Thunderbolt display?

Finally, as you noted, no one has matched the Macbook Air line which is the Apple fighter line -- which still blows my mind.

Apple has some current issues, no doubt. It remains to be seen whether they can drive the product pipeline with the level of excellence that Jobs demanded. The street is looking for a new trick from Apple. Other than perhaps the rumored TV, I'm not sure what they could have up their sleeve.

Is your sisters machine a current issue? You've been talking about your MBP for at least a couple years.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:19   #31
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4LP View Post
Current MBPs have HDMI, USB ports on opposing sides, 15" screens, and i7 processors. They're also thinner and lighter than previous models. In other words they've addressed every complaint you have about your Core 2 Duo MBP except for price.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design-retina/
Here's the thing, they've addressed my concerns in the $1700 laptop, but not the regular MBP. I have no interest in retina display laptops.
Old 01-29-2013, 18:38   #32
sputnik767

Quote:
I've reached the point that I'll agree that Apple has lost the edge in the mobile market by letting iOS stagnate but I still think you're mistaken on the notebook lineup.

I see where a spec guy like yourself would get frustrated. Apple is often late to integrate some specs, like USB3 but pushes the envelope with others like Tbolt (which the Lenovo doesn't offer) and retina displays. Also, the typical macbook display is generally much, much better than the typical off the shelf pc laptop. And, as best I can tell the lenovo line doesn't offer the milled unibody aluminum body that macbooks have for the last several years. Then you bring in the trackpad, which I maintain is a BIG differentiator and little touches like the magsafe plug that has saved my ass more times than once. All in all Apple is still making the finest notebook line available though at a premium and when you spec it out it may not appear so. The MBP 15" Retina is arguably the finest laptop ever made by anyone. It doesn't bother me to pick up a $30 accessory adapter when needed. Does anyone make anything to compare to the 27" Thunderbolt display?

Finally, as you noted, no one has matched the Macbook Air line which is the Apple fighter line -- which still blows my mind.

Apple has some current issues, no doubt. It remains to be seen whether they can drive the product pipeline with the level of excellence that Jobs demanded. The street is looking for a new trick from Apple. Other than perhaps the rumored TV, I'm not sure what they could have up their sleeve.

Is your sisters machine a current issue? You've been talking about your MBP for at least a couple years.
My MBP is the mid-2010 model, so it's going on 3 years now. It's held up very well with some upgrades. But I still have my first laptop, a Dell that is now 8 years old, with the creaky plastic shell, and my dad is still using it. Runs Windows 7 perfectly fine. And even back then, I got it with a 1080p resolution screen. I certainly expect the mac to do just as well. The thing is though, with all of the plusses of the MBP, I hardly ever use it. If I'm at home, I'm much more comfortable with my desktop PC, which is also much more powerful. Essentially, all I use my $1200 laptop is to take an exam once a month or so, and random things here and there. Which is why things like the milled aluminum shell, trackpad, backlit keyboard, etc, do not appeal to me anymore. I don't use it enough for these things to matter. For example, I never have more than 1 window open at a time, I do all of my photo editing on my PC, I never type in the dark, and my computer largely sits on top of my bookshelf. That sentence basically negated any need for me to have a multitouch trackpad, pinch-to-zoom, backlit keyboard, and aluminum shell. However, the fact that it is designed better than the competition is well established and not up for debate, and I would certainly not say that it is overpriced.

My other complaint, is bit different. If you look at the current MBP line, there is one main differentiator, which is the display resolution. On the one hand, you have a rather poor resolution, and on the other hand it is insane to the point of being unnecessary. I would be much happier with a middle ground model with perhaps a 1080p resolution in the 15" and a bit less in the 13" and a middle-ground cost. With the retina MBP, Apple created a niche line that will appeal to very few people, increased the cost by the price of a decent competing laptop (over the regular cost which is already double the cost of a decent competing product), yet in it they fixed the shortcomings of the cheaper models that most people buy. It's these sorts of things that drive me to competing products.
Old 01-29-2013, 19:57   #33
boomhower

I think the time has finally come for the plastic low end phone. They haven't do it in the past but other change has made it possible. The change to lightning. By getting rid of the $0 iphone 4s they will have gotten rid of 30 pin from the line-up. It will also be a cheaper phone to prodece. Even with the iPhone 4S as old as it is not going to be cheap to produce this fall. If they come up with a device created to be a cheaper new market device it's overall cost when start with that design. Starting with the nicest design you can develop and then try to make it cheap as new years models come up just isn't the way to do it.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 19:57   #34
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

I'm with ya on all that. Different needs.
Old 01-29-2013, 20:22   #35
sputnik767

Quote:
I'm with ya on all that. Different needs.
And who knows, by the time I decide to upgrade my laptop, which may be years down the road, Apple may once again offer the best package for me, as they did when I bought my MBP. Everything I said before pertains to what would happen if I decided to buy a computer right now.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-29-2013 at 20:23..
Old 01-29-2013, 20:32   #36
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
And who knows, by the time I decide to upgrade my laptop, which may be years down the road, Apple may once again offer the best package for me, as they did when I bought my MBP. Everything I said before pertains to what would happen if I decided to buy a computer right now.
Using that multitouch trackpad has become so essential to the UI I can't stand to be without it. 2 finger scroll and tap FTW. When put on a pc with buttons and/or the little red clitoris in the keyboard I go insane
Old 01-30-2013, 08:54   #37
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
Possibly. What are you offering?
Depends on model, storage capacity, condition etc.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10   #38
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Using that multitouch trackpad has become so essential to the UI I can't stand to be without it. 2 finger scroll and tap FTW. When put on a pc with buttons and/or the little red clitoris in the keyboard I go insane

So many jokes. So many infractions.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33   #39
michael_b
BRC #1492

Quote:
That looks like it's changing, at least for iphones and ipads. As far me, I have no interest in their current products. Every ipad has been a minor incremental change, and same goes for the iphone. The ipad mini was just a smaller ipad with a crap display and inflated cost. What I will likely get when it comes out in a month is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. Yes, it's an 8" version of the Galaxy Note 2 phone and the same size as the ipad mini, but it has a better screen, comes with the S-pen, has an NFC chip (probably), and will likely cost considerably less than the ipad mini, which is ironically inferior in just about every aspect. As much as I hate to say it, my 13" Macbook Pro is inferior to my sister's Lenovo laptop as well. Hers is an inch bigger, and considerably lighter, with more features.

If Apple's recent stock price is any indication, consumers overall are starting to have their doubts about the future of Apple products as well.
No they aren't. Consumers are not accounting for the stock dip. That is from analyst always over estimating Apples returns. It got a little too bloated and now is normalizing.

As for the once a year cycle, it's still pretty valid- there's an exception here and there but overall it's a good rule of thumb on Apple products- if an Apple product has been out longer than 6 months without an update, you always wait for the update.

It's like people who complained about iPhone 5 coming out three months after they bought a 4S- come on, look at Apples history, every 12-18 months there's a new one. If your 9 months in you wait.

"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"-Mushinto

Last edited by michael_b; 01-30-2013 at 11:35..
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:22   #40
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
No they aren't. Consumers are not accounting for the stock dip. That is from analyst always over estimating Apples returns. It got a little too bloated and now is normalizing.

As for the once a year cycle, it's still pretty valid- there's an exception here and there but overall it's a good rule of thumb on Apple products- if an Apple product has been out longer than 6 months without an update, you always wait for the update.

It's like people who complained about iPhone 5 coming out three months after they bought a 4S- come on, look at Apples history, every 12-18 months there's a new one. If your 9 months in you wait.

Consumers are not accounting for the stock dip, but the competing products are being bought more and more, and Apple devices are beginning to be seen as not as good as the competition by an increasing number of consumers, analysts, and even professional reviewers. And that has been seen in Apple's profits. Just anecdotal evidence, my GF just got herself the Galaxy S3 after using mine, coming from the iPhone 4. I took her to the AT&T store, told her to play with the S3 and iPhone 5, and pick what she likes best. She didn't even spend 30 seconds on the iPhone 5, claimed it was the same exact same thing as hers, and bought the S3. In her own words, she is now an Android convert. Her family all use iPhones (4S), and they all agreed that her S3 is better. Most of my friends have an iPhone in some form, and most of them agree that the S3 is better. I'm not trying to pimp the Galaxy S3, but just trying to demonstrate that this sort of thing was unheard of just a year ago. Consumers have finally came around and realized that they are paying a premium price every year for a device whose design has changed very little from it's inception. All it took was for a competitor to produce a high quality device and market it successfully, and people started turning to it. Prior to the S3, that has not happened.

As far as the 1-year cycles go, that is in fact starting to change. If I'm not mistaken, the iPad 4 came out a few months after the iPad 3, and there are many rumors concerning a new iPhone 5S not too far from now. It is very much possible that Apple is moving to a 6 month cycle.
Old 01-30-2013, 20:41   #41
.264 magnum
CLM Number 121
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Consumers are not accounting for the stock dip, but the competing products are being bought more and more, and Apple devices are beginning to be seen as not as good as the competition by an increasing number of consumers, analysts, and even professional reviewers. And that has been seen in Apple's profits. Just anecdotal evidence, my GF just got herself the Galaxy S3 after using mine, coming from the iPhone 4. I took her to the AT&T store, told her to play with the S3 and iPhone 5, and pick what she likes best. She didn't even spend 30 seconds on the iPhone 5, claimed it was the same exact same thing as hers, and bought the S3. In her own words, she is now an Android convert. Her family all use iPhones (4S), and they all agreed that her S3 is better. Most of my friends have an iPhone in some form, and most of them agree that the S3 is better. I'm not trying to pimp the Galaxy S3, but just trying to demonstrate that this sort of thing was unheard of just a year ago. Consumers have finally came around and realized that they are paying a premium price every year for a device whose design has changed very little from it's inception. All it took was for a competitor to produce a high quality device and market it successfully, and people started turning to it. Prior to the S3, that has not happened.

As far as the 1-year cycles go, that is in fact starting to change. If I'm not mistaken, the iPad 4 came out a few months after the iPad 3, and there are many rumors concerning a new iPhone 5S not too far from now. It is very much possible that Apple is moving to a 6 month cycle.

A seemingly minor correction that is likely to prove important looking forward. Apple 4Q/12 profit was up a bit over 4Q/11 and 4Q/12 was a full week shorter.

Apple had a heroic earnings report by an rational measure.
Old 01-30-2013, 21:28   #42
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Also don't underestimate the huge capital gains many AAPL investors were holding and elected to realize them before 2013.
Old 01-30-2013, 22:06   #43
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by .264 magnum View Post
A seemingly minor correction that is likely to prove important looking forward. Apple 4Q/12 profit was up a bit over 4Q/11 and 4Q/12 was a full week shorter.

Apple had a heroic earnings report by an rational measure.
I don't disagree with you there. However, if look at Microsoft, which is a powerhouse as well, it's stock is in the $20 range. And can you think of a workplace that does not run some form of Microsoft software? Not too many exist. Investors are not concerned that Apple earning were bad, they are concerned with forward guidance. For a company that regularly beats estimates, this was a disappointment. The issue with Apple is one of perception, in that their products were always perceived as the best, the coolest, the one to get, etc. The fear now is that it may no longer be the case. If Apple loses it's "cool" factor, or worse yet, becomes "boring," it's stock price will continue to fall. Apple has been able to sell their devices at high prices and profit margins because of that perception, which is why it is so important. Keep in mind that it was never an issue of Apple being good and Android being bad. It was an issue that Apple made good devices and Android manufacturers did not bother to refine their product like Apple did. The Galaxy S3 seems to have changed that, and consumers very obviously took notice. Apple will no longer be able to continue their general game plan if they want to compete. By that, I mean that insignificant upgrades and adding "S" at the end of their model, which used to sell millions of phones a day, will probably not suffice anymore. Neither will a 4" screen, as many analysts are thinking that Apple is losing the "screen size wars." In the days of 1080p displays in mobile phones smaller than 5", the "retina display" is no longer impressive.

I personally believe that Apple stock has seen it's high, and that it'll never see it again. I would not be buying their stock at the moment, and I have shuffled my investments to minimize my Apple holdings.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-30-2013 at 22:12..