Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Easy there big dog. Think of your health./
My "health"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
I spoke to a Scottish friend and you are right about the pronunciation.
Tha fhios agam.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 01-27-2013 at 16:19..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 21:59   #52
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

T Dia duit
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:43   #53
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Thought I would share here. I was just at my local Total Wine getting ready for the Super Bore game. I was looking for Laphroaig Quarter Cask but they didn't have any. I thought, "Well, I'll get the 10 yo Laphroaig then". Except they didn't have any of that either. What they had was the Laphroaig Triple Wood for around $60.00 and the Laphroaig 18 yo for $105.00. I deliberated briefly and went with the Triple Wood since I had never tried it before. There is no age on the bottle but it's probably around 8 yo. It is maturated in oak bourbon casks, spends an undetermined time in Quarter Casks, and then is finished in oak sherry casks. I like it, it is a Laphroaig after all, albeit with some sherry notes. That said if they have it and the Quarter Cask next time I will probably go with the Quarter Cask. The Triple Wood just doesn't have the punch of the Quarter Cask even though it is bottled at 48%. If you like Laphroaig and Balvenie and Macallan then maybe you should give this a try, or if your local spirits merchant is out of other Laphroaig's. In closing, it's not my favorite Laphroaig but it ain't too bad either:

The Okie Corral
Old 01-30-2013, 18:46   #54
Restless28

Nice review MtBaldy. All I see here is the 10, but I want to look for QC. I'm a Laphroaig junkie, lol.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:50   #55
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
Thought I would share here. I was just at my local Total Wine getting ready for the Super Bore game. I was looking for Laphroaig Quarter Cask but they didn't have any. I thought, "Well, I'll get the 10 yo Laphroaig then". Except they didn't have any of that either. What they had was the Laphroaig Triple Wood for around $60.00 and the Laphroaig 18 yo for $105.00. I deliberated briefly and went with the Triple Wood since I had never tried it before. There is no age on the bottle but it's probably around 8 yo. It is maturated in oak bourbon casks, spends an undetermined time in Quarter Casks, and then is finished in oak sherry casks. I like it, it is a Laphroaig after all, albeit with some sherry notes. That said if they have it and the Quarter Cask next time I will probably go with the Quarter Cask. The Triple Wood just doesn't have the punch of the Quarter Cask even though it is bottled at 48%. If you like Laphroaig and Balvenie and Macallan then maybe you should give this a try, or if your local spirits merchant is out of other Laphroaig's. In closing, it's not my favorite Laphroaig but it ain't too bad either:

The Okie Corral
Ouch, got my last bottle of 18 a few months ago for under $70....
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:52   #56
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Nice review MtBaldy. All I see here is the 10, but I want to look for QC. I'm a Laphroaig junkie, lol.
Thanks. The 10 was my first Laphroaig and my first reaction was, "Whoa! This is a serious scotch!" I wasn't sure about all the peat and iodine. My wife rarely drinks scotch but she tried it. Her reaction was, "It has an after taste of rotting fish!" Not very complimentary. I found myself going back to it night after night. By the time the bottle was gone I was hooked.
Old 01-30-2013, 18:59   #57
Krigloch
BACONEER

Send a message via AIM to Krigloch
hell yeah, I need to try that Triple
I still have an unopened bottle of Cask Strength
Old 01-30-2013, 19:24   #58
LandRover

I got the "try some good scotch" bug about 2-1/2 years ago. I went to a very nice upscale restaurant in the next town over and the bartender was gracious enough to let me have a wee sip of seven different scotches. Three Highlands (Glenmorangie, The Macallan and Dalwhinnie), a Lowland (Auchentoshan), two Islay (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) and some Isle of Skye (Talisker).

All were exquisite (my palette had been Jack Daniel's black label) but the Islay's really grabbed me by the head and screamed my name. Man, this is some seriously intense malt!

The Ardbeg particularly stood out; it was the Corryvrecken and it's amazing. So much so that I went to Total Wines that same weekend and spent serious dosh on eleven bottles of assorted scotch's. Mostly Islay and Campbeltown (Springbank 10 year old is phenomenal).

Here I am 2.5 years later with a liquor closet to rival all but the most discerning establishments, and I'm enjoying an amazing and delicious journey.

Someone mentioned Ralphy; look him up on YouTube and he'll give you some fantastic and inciteful information. The man knows his stuff.

Thank you for starting an outstanding thread!

A traveler doesn't know where he's going ...
a tourist doesn't know where he's been.
LandRover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 19:28   #59
Krigloch
BACONEER

Send a message via AIM to Krigloch
nice!
we need a post pics of your whisky collection thread