Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:30   #51
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
"My ilk"?

You must have me confused with someone else. My peeps and I can carry wherever, whenever ....for the most part. The trip to DC was pretty cool.
Oh yeah, your ilk are really brave about "carrying", but ain't doing squat about fighting for your rights. You probably donate to the NRA and then sit back thinking that you did your part, huh? I'll bet you even voted for that gun banning Romney dude too.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:59   #52
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Oh yeah, your ilk are really brave about "carrying", but ain't doing squat about fighting for your rights. You probably donate to the NRA and then sit back thinking that you did your part, huh? I'll bet you even voted for that gun banning Romney dude too.
Even I am lost here...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:00   #53
Carrys
Inquisitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I am sure that did wonders to help convert many of the people who were there into gun rights advocates.
On the other hand....I suspect those who were antis before, were antis afterward as well.

Now a days, that pendulum swings both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post

At what point does it go from rights to common sense?
Ah, there's the point is it not?

I learned long ago that just because something should be, doesn't mean it will be.....or that it is.

IMO, our maker.....while He did a great job in supplying us with what we call our natural rights, He left it to us to use that common sense He supplied us with as well. Unfortunitly, that's something we've fell far behind in over the years.

Having a right means one also has a responsibility and duty to use/express it with-in the guidelines of which they were given. Something tells me that as further our society gets from taking any responsibility for anything....so goes that common sense.

It seems what is called "normal" these days is whatever causes one to take/do as little responsibility as possible.

As always, it's our own darned lack of........well, lack of brains to be honest, that does us in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post
Having the right to do something, and having the common sense and self control to NOT do something are two attributes one should have.

The guy was an idiot.

ML
Oh yes sir, that one little word.

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:13   #54
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Not a smart move in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2013, 13:16   #55
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Wasn't mil-spec?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:24   #56
Reswob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS104 View Post
You and me both. Somone carries a slung AR or AK into a Fresh Grocer or KMart Philly PD is NOT going to react well.
Imagine some dude with an AK on SEPTA?
Personally, I would feel much safer on SEPTA with an AK. Just sayin'...
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:03   #57
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Anyone know where his rifle falls on "The Chart"...

And the info Russ posted throws this in a different light..
Old 01-29-2013, 14:14   #58
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

What many do not realize is that our country did not embrace open carry until recently, in most of the Wild West long guns were left in the scabbard , at the stable or Checked at hotels, or even Sheriff's offices.

The true history of firearms carry may not fit into what people want to believe.
I have been carrying for 30 years now, concealed, and I see a whole lot of negative attention coming our way that I have not seen in the 70's ,80's and 90's.
Old 01-29-2013, 14:39   #59
JohnBT
NRA Patron

The guy is lucky none of my hillbilly relatives from Albemarle County were there. They'd probably have drawn on his dumb butt.

Otoh, he could have been shot by a UVA professor. I understand there are some faculty members with guns even if the town has turned into a liberal hotbed over the last 50 years.
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:42   #60
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Darwin still has work to do.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:47   #61
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
The guy is lucky none of my hillbilly relatives from Albemarle County were there. They'd probably have drawn on his dumb butt.

Otoh, he could have been shot by a UVA professor. I understand there are some faculty members with guns even if the town has turned into a liberal hotbed over the last 50 years.
If the guy has it on a sling and is not handling the rifle, why on Earth would you draw on him? YOU become the aggressor.

I can understand paying closer attention to him, leaving the area or staying on the other side of the store but I cannot see any instance where you could possibly think yourself in harm's way enough to draw unless the guy was handling the rifle.

Weird.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 14:49   #62
The Fed

Lior - I researched Israel gun laws as part of my backup plan in case significant gun control ever gets passed here. I'm retired and fortunate to have health insurance that's good anywhere in the world.

I dismissed your country for two reasons - I would need to live in Israel for FIVE years before I was eligible to apply for a permit to carry a gun, and they issue permits only if you live in Gaza or (I forgot) the other area where the government says it's dangerous. That's means the other areas are all gun-free zones. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited by The Fed; 01-29-2013 at 14:50..
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:17   #63
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
"the man originally entered the store unarmed, then went back to his car and retrieved his rifle. He then walked back into the store... "
To some, that would be considered reconnoitering. And a signal to go from condition yellow to condition red.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:21   #64
jakebrake
cracker

funny. i disagree with this action, and i'm a fud and an anti.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:02   #65
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
That wasn't what I was responding to. Other poster said the guy was lucky no one drew on him. For people carrying, it tends to be a non issue until an aggressive move is made.

Was not talking about the chicken littles who called 911 in that part of it.
Sorry, my bad.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 17:03   #66
6forsure

like almost all instnces of open carry

it was dumb move by a pathetic individual that just damages the gun rights movement
Old 01-29-2013, 17:09   #67
johnson8861
Daddo Chomper

sorry guys, I won't carry my ar in public places anymore.
Old 01-29-2013, 17:20   #68
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
To some, that would be considered reconnoitering. And a signal to go from condition yellow to condition red.
That would be my reaction in that place, in that situation, at that time.

Old 01-29-2013, 17:25   #69
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
If the guy has it on a sling and is not handling the rifle, why on Earth would you draw on him? YOU become the aggressor.

I can understand paying closer attention to him, leaving the area or staying on the other side of the store but I cannot see any instance where you could possibly think yourself in harm's way enough to draw unless the guy was handling the rifle.

Weird.
Another point not disclosed or discussed, HG.

No one commented on whether it was across his back, or like kwikrnu, across his chest, or whether he handled it in the store.

Old 01-29-2013, 17:29   #70
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

You can look at this from a multitude of angles:

1. He thought about robbing the store, went to get his rfile, then decided better of it and left.

2. He thought about shooting everyone in store, but decided against it and left.

3. He wanted to scare as many people as possible and thought it was funny.

4. He thought he was making a political statement, actually had an epifany that this was probably a bad idea and left.

5. He was a liberal anti-gun person, who thought he wuld create as much shock and disdain as possible to support the cause.

6. He wanted to start off being a D.C. sniper, bur realized he forgot his ski mask and left.

Pick one.
Old 01-29-2013, 17:34   #71
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"If the guy has it on a sling and is not handling the rifle, why on Earth would you draw on him?"

I didn't say I would. I said my hillbilly cousins.

In any case, remember the case of the high school student and the NRA t-shirt? That was Albemarle County and Charlottesville sits about in the center of it. A person would have to be completely out of touch to think anything good would come of carrying an AR openly in Charlottesville. They've gone Hollywood is the best way I can explain it. It's not the little town portrayed in The Waltons. I remember the end of that era in the '50s.

Fwiw, my father's people were apple farmers with small land grants dating to the War of 1812. Way back in the mountains.

John

Last edited by JohnBT; 01-29-2013 at 17:46..
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 17:43   #72
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"If the guy has it on a sling and is not handling the rifle, why on Earth would you draw on him?"

I didn't say I would. I said my hillbilly cousins.
Apparently, you have never heard of the OODA loop.

I live in a condition yellow world. It amazes me how many other people do not.
Old 01-29-2013, 17:45   #73
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Personally, I would feel much safer on SEPTA with an AK. Just sayin'...
You talking Broad Street Subway, the El, or the buses? And you should know better - one AK ain't enough for any of the routes or vehicles. I once rode the subway during the early afternoon on a weekday. I still don't know how I made it home alive.

Last edited by The Fed; 01-29-2013 at 17:47..
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 17:46   #74
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
You can look at this from a multitude of angles:

1. He thought about robbing the store, went to get his rfile, then decided better of it and left.

2. He thought about shooting everyone in store, but decided against it and left.

3. He wanted to scare as many people as possible and thought it was funny.

4. He thought he was making a political statement, actually had an epifany that this was probably a bad idea and left.

5. He was a liberal anti-gun person, who thought he wuld create as much shock and disdain as possible to support the cause.

6. He wanted to start off being a D.C. sniper, bur realized he forgot his ski mask and left.

Pick one.
All possible...

Here is another witness account...
Quote:
Bob Girard said he was angered when he met a 22-year-old man with a loaded AR-15 semi-automatic rifle strapped to his shoulder Sunday evening at the Kroger store on Hydraulic Road and Emmet Street.
“He said he was exercising his Second Amendment right,” Girard, the owner of Charlottesville-based Hurricane City Tees, said Monday. “He got me angry because I could see a kind of smile on his face.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/lo...a4bcf6878.html
Smile?

Old 01-29-2013, 17:50   #75
domin8ss

Wow! 10 hours and nobody mentioned Virginia Tech. I lived in Chesapeake, VA for 3½ years before moving to Chicagoland this last July. Hampton Roads is geographically as far from Virginia Tech as you can get, yet the shooting that happened there several years ago is at the front of people's minds out there. I had a guy walk into my auto parts store shortly before I left. He was OC. All the employees that saw him walk in immediately bolted for the back. I helped him out, hoping I wouldn't be placed in a position where I would have to draw (our store had been robbed at gunpoint a year prior while I was at home). After the guy left everybody came out of hiding. I had to inquire wtf was that. The store robbery and Virginia Tech were immediately brought up. Thankfully I was the one wearing the store alarm pager/remote that day.
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote