GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 23:31   #141
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
If life is just a natural progression from simple chemical reactions in nature, why haven't we found it on the moon or mars? It would not be the same, but it would have adapted to it's own environment. We have found life in areas of the world with water temps approaching 750 degrees Fahrenheit. If a planet has to be just the right distance from just the right star, and contain just the right elements, and rotate at just the right rate..... The elements must be in the right place, at a very small scale, in the right amounts, form into the right structures, organelles, and knit together just right..... What results must be able to maintain homeostasis, be in a hospitable environment, must be able to grow, and to replicate itself with an ability to adapt to it's surroundings to increase it's chance of survival.

You wouldn't consider that a remarkable event?
So we have gone from wildly random to just plain ole remarkable? Imagine that. For what ever reason you focused in on life on Earth. I was referencing all of existence with or without life. We don't even get to that point with out certain values in physics being what they are.

What exactly are you even arguing?
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:36   #142
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
If life is just a natural progression from simple chemical reactions in nature, why haven't we found it on the moon or mars? It would not be the same, but it would have adapted to it's own environment.
Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of any of the prerequisites of life on the moon. No atmosphere, no liquid water. The jury is still out on whether there was life on Mars back when it apparently did have more of an atmosphere and liquid water.

Hard to fathom someone dense enough not to understand why life didn't evolve on the moon.

Quote:
We have found life in areas of the world with water temps approaching 750 degrees Fahrenheit. If a planet has to be just the right distance from just the right star, and contain just the right elements, and rotate at just the right rate..... The elements must be in the right place, at a very small scale, in the right amounts, form into the right structures, organelles, and knit together just right..... What results must be able to maintain homeostasis, be in a hospitable environment, must be able to grow, and to replicate itself with an ability to adapt to it's surroundings to increase it's chance of survival.

You wouldn't consider that a remarkable event?
Not remarkable at all, considering there's trillions upon trillions of stars out there, and tons of planets being discovered as planet detecting methods become more sensitive and sophisticated. Given the sheer number of possible locations its simply a matter of time, and given billions of years the universe has been in existence, there's been plenty of time.

Pretty basic stuff here. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:54   #143
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
...Hard to fathom someone dense enough not to understand why life didn't evolve on the moon...
Doc isn't that dense. He just can't help but jump on stupid points he thinks makes him seem smarter than we are. It's his MO.

Last edited by juggy4711; 01-28-2013 at 00:12.. Reason: spelling
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12   #144
steveksux
Massive Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Doc isn't that dense. He just can't help but jump on stupid points he thinks makes him seem smarter than we are. It's his MO.
If he didn't have troll posts, he wouldn't have anything to say.

sad little man-boy

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:55   #145
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 42,688


Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of any of the prerequisites of life on the moon. No atmosphere, no liquid water. The jury is still out on whether there was life on Mars back when it apparently did have more of an atmosphere and liquid water.

Hard to fathom someone dense enough not to understand why life didn't evolve on the moon.


Not remarkable at all, considering there's trillions upon trillions of stars out there, and tons of planets being discovered as planet detecting methods become more sensitive and sophisticated. Given the sheer number of possible locations its simply a matter of time, and given billions of years the universe has been in existence, there's been plenty of time.

Pretty basic stuff here. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Randy
Some used to think bacteria could not live in the acid environment of the stomach. Others were sure that animals and other life could not live at temperatures over twice the boiling temp of water at sea level. Of course life elsewhere would be very different. Don't assume so much. It's a question.

You do point out that what we really know about the physical properties and presence of life in the universe is very limited. We certainly can speculate though, right?

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-28-2013 at 05:57..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:01.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 578
109 Members
469 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31