Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 19:08   #1
steveksux
Massive Member

What not to do with your duty weapon when you go to the bathroom...

http://www.freep.com/article/2013012...yssey=obinsite

School security officer leaves weapon in restroom accidentally...

Not going to hear the end of this one anytime soon.

Nobody hurt, now there's a lockbox available in the staff restroom for the future...

Randy
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:29   #2
Patchman
Florist

Which is why I've always advocated that instead of school security officers, schools should have students' parents take up security functions.

First and foremost, parents have the greatest stake, and interest, in ensuring their own children's safety. Also, as I learned on the internet, CCWers are natural tactical ninjas that would never need to use the bathroom in the first place!

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-27-2013 at 20:32..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:41   #3
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

And here I thought it was going to be a story about dropping the Glock in the toilet . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:56   #4
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

I hope the bathroom is a single-person use type. Having a lockbox in the lobby area of a multi-person bathroom isn't a great idea, either.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:05   #5
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Amateur. If you're in uniform and taking the whole belt off, leave the gun in the holster and the belt where it can't be grabbed easily (like between your legs, or on the hook on the door if there is one. If you're wearing a concealment holster, set the gun (in the holster, preferably) in your pants between your legs.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:28   #6
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
Amateur. If you're in uniform and taking the whole belt off, leave the gun in the holster and the belt where it can't be grabbed easily (like between your legs, or on the hook on the door if there is one. If you're wearing a concealment holster, set the gun (in the holster, preferably) in your pants between your legs.
Or just leave the bat belt connected to your pants belt with the keepers. It's not that hard with practice.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:48   #7
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Or just leave the bat belt connected to your pants belt with the keepers. It's not that hard with practice.
I have not mastered that. I do the DBR method. Or this:

Cop Talk
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:27   #8
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

Cop Talk
It might be more of a pain with the Sam Browne rigs, but I never had a problem with a Safariland 94 buckleless belt or any of the nylon belts I've had.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 00:18   #9
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Have you thought this method thru? While I applaud your creativeness, a day of bad gas and your pistola is gonna smell like the business end of a rotten goat.........
Old 01-28-2013, 00:56   #10
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i crap at home before or after shift. if for some reason i had to crap on duty it would be at the station and i would call out that i was having a stomach disorder for a few minutes........

i have a public bathroom phobia i guess.....i can piss anywhere, especially on night shift....but taking a crap has to be in a clean, private bathroom with low risk to being in that pisition if you know what i mean....

God help the female cops who have to drop trou just to pee.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 01-28-2013 at 00:57..
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07   #11
Poppa Bear
CLM Number 45
Protective G'pa

Quote:
Just make sure the gun stays in the holster. We had one here a few years ago where he hung the gun on the hook. Pushed up on it as he removed it and put one into the ceiling.

Like on the old Barney Miller show. The only one to wear a shoulder holster was Fish (Abe Vigoda) who seemed to live in the bathroom he was in there so often.
"The Second Amendment is not about duck hunting, and I know I'm not going to make very many friends saying this, but it's about our right, all of our right to be able to protect ourselves from all of you guys up there." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, appearing before Representative Charles Schumer's committee hearings on the assault weapons ban
Poppa Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:00   #12
Schaffer

im lucky that i'm usually within 5 minutes of my station... or a neighboring dept, or my house, or my old ladies place, or the local gas station....

i usually take my belt off and lay it down on the meter monsters desk as she's the only one who can keep **** clean in this hell hole.
Schaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08   #13
steveksux
Massive Member

Thought the toimng was particularly ironic, what with the debate over arming people at schools, he was newly installed at the school.

You know this sort of thing happens from time to time, but this was the worst possible time to do it.

Or maybe the best, get it out of the way while the administration may be afraid of blame for the whole idea going south so soon...

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
steveksux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20   #14
The Fed

+1 on the shoulder holster. I put on a t-shirt (for comfort), my shoulder holster, and a button down shirt. I leave the middle button or buttons unbottoned to allow easy access. That's why I hoped open carry would have passed so I could leave my shirt completely unbottoned. Yor won't see the gun or holster unless the wind blows it open.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:18   #15
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
i crap at home before or after shift. if for some reason i had to crap on duty it would be at the station and i would call out that i was having a stomach disorder for a few minutes........

i have a public bathroom phobia i guess.....i can piss anywhere, especially on night shift....but taking a crap has to be in a clean, private bathroom with low risk to being in that pisition if you know what i mean....

God help the female cops who have to drop trou just to pee.
I am lucky to live in the jurisdiction. I only code deuce at my own house. Kinda nice to be able to come home and make a ham sammich at midnight also, keeps me from eating fast food.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:20   #16
BigSpenda864

Quote:

Cop Talk
Thank goodness for baby changing stations!
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31   #17
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:

Cop Talk
THAT is exactly what I have been using diaper changing tables in Men's Rooms for during the past 15 years!

(I knew I couldn't be the only one!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50   #18
GRIMLET
Deceased

I hang my rig on the handicap rail. Its off the floor and handy if I need it.

We had a small trailer as a substation that had a tiny bathroom. I am not.
I would leave the rig on a desk but ALWAYS brought the sidearm and radio in with me.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:03   #19
ColdSteelNail

When I was in college I worked part time in the County Clerks office selling license plates and decals. I found a .38 Chief's Special on the window sill in the bathroom. I turned it in to the sheriff's office which was on the lower floor of the courthouse. It turned out to be the sheriff's gun.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45   #20
indigent
Bamboozled

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I am lucky to live in the jurisdiction. I only code deuce at my own house. Kinda nice to be able to come home and make a ham sammich at midnight also, keeps me from eating fast food.
I too am spoiled with this.....

and to have an empty house to not have to worry about waking anyone up when i come bustin in the door with a hot code brown....