Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 20:03   #121
rockapede

Good holster + quality training + perfect practice = chambered gun. Thousands upon thousands of people carry this way and problems seem to be very rare. I've got nothing against anyone who prefers to carry chamber empty, to each their own. However, I've drawn my duty gun enough around people to know that being restricted to one hand because of any number of circumstances is a very real possibility.

-Edward Conlon

Last edited by rockapede; 01-27-2013 at 20:03..
Old 01-28-2013, 17:35   #122
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
If you have to ask this question, then your not ready for it!
Wow not even the first post in this thread that is like this but should be the last. The fact that this person IS asking the question is great and no one here should give them anything but support in this process. Unreal....
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
Old 01-28-2013, 18:19   #123
rustynail
FORR MO

The more you carry and shoot your glock the more confidence you will have, so carry with out one in the chamber for a while then rethink it in a couple of months. I have a NY1 trigger spring in my carry gun and it adds a couple of lbs to the trigger pull.I like it and realy don't care what other people think, do what works for you. JMO
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25   #124
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
Good holster + quality training + perfect practice = chambered gun.
This is the proper recipe for preparing to carry C1.

Unfortunately, MOST people who carry C1 don't follow this prescription beyond the "good holster". Therein lies the danger of advise given here on a wholesale basis that C1 is the only intelligent way to carry because of tactical advantages.

C1 is fine for those who adequately prepare and stay 'tuned up' with continuous practice. I'm not one of those practitioners, and I readily admit it. That's why I'll carry my Glocks C3 until I find a suitable replacement with a manual safety.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53   #125
unit1069

I lead a staid, routine life and as a result I normally carry without a chambered round unless I travel to an unknown locale or known dangerous area.

I concede that this method leaves a gap in my ability to respond to a potential life-or-death situation, but then I consider it no different than having to fumble with a manual safety. (None of my self-defense handguns have a manual safety)

I have read far more anecdotes by Glock Talk members about their ND/AD experiences than I have about their involvements in actual shootouts so I've decided to err on the side of caution in my normal routine.

Nobody can assess his/her individual circumstances except the individual, although it's always good to read suggestions as there are likely issues that one hasn't considered.

Last edited by unit1069; 01-29-2013 at 13:07..
Old 01-29-2013, 13:06   #126
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I lead a staid, routine life and as a result I normally carry without a chambered round unless I travel to an unknown locale or known dangerous area.

I concede that this method leaves a gap in my ability to respond to a potential life-or-death situation, but then I consider it no different than having to fumble with a manual safety. (None of my self-defense handguns have a manual safety)

I have read far more anecdotes by Glock Talk members about their ND/AD experiences than I have about their involvements in actual shootouts so I've decided to err on the side of caution in my normal routine.

Nobody can assess his/her individual circumstances except the individual, although it's always good to read suggestions as there are likely issues that one hasn't considered.
This honest, thoughtful, practical position represents the way we should all consider our particular circumstances in making CC technique decisions.

Many will disagree with this approach, but it seems smart and responsible in my way of thinking.
Old 01-29-2013, 22:45   #127
NMOFT

I usually donít comment on threads like this because I think what you carry and how you carry it is a personal choice and I have no desire to meddle. But this discussion has me intrigued, and since this discussion is occurring in the public domain I feel compelled to ask those of you that carry a weapon with an unloaded chamber some questions. Please donít take me wrong, I donít meant to be a smart alec or insulting Iím just genuinely curious.
Do you treat your other personal protective equipment the same way? Do you only buckle your seatbelt when you drive on the interstate? Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen? If you do is it charged?
PPE is part of my everyday life; I am required to wear fire resistant clothing everywhere I go every working day to protect against a flash fire. Iíve never been in a flash fire and if I thought I was going to be I wouldnít go to work. I wear an H2S monitor the same way. I donít think Iíll be exposed to a lethal concentration of H2S, but I wear the monitor anyway. No one can predict when something awful is going to happen on the job so we are always ready. It becomes a life time habit.
No one who goes armed really thinks they are going to engage in a SD shooting on any given day, yet on any given day someone will. How can you predict when you will need a ready weapon and when you will not?
Old 01-29-2013, 23:45   #128
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOFT View Post
I usually donít comment on threads like this because I think what you carry and how you carry it is a personal choice and I have no desire to meddle. But this discussion has me intrigued, and since this discussion is occurring in the public domain I feel compelled to ask those of you that carry a weapon with an unloaded chamber some questions. Please donít take me wrong, I donít meant to be a smart alec or insulting Iím just genuinely curious.
Do you treat your other personal protective equipment the same way? Do you only buckle your seatbelt when you drive on the interstate? Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen? If you do is it charged?
PPE is part of my everyday life; I am required to wear fire resistant clothing everywhere I go every working day to protect against a flash fire. Iíve never been in a flash fire and if I thought I was going to be I wouldnít go to work. I wear an H2S monitor the same way. I donít think Iíll be exposed to a lethal concentration of H2S, but I wear the monitor anyway. No one can predict when something awful is going to happen on the job so we are always ready. It becomes a life time habit.
No one who goes armed really thinks they are going to engage in a SD shooting on any given day, yet on any given day someone will. How can you predict when you will need a ready weapon and when you will not?
Several points I'd like to make in response to your very tactful (or was it sarcastic?) queery:

1. Given my age and lifestyle, the probability of being attacked is nearly 0.
2. Given my skill level, lack of recent training and infrequency of practice, I feel C3 with a Glock is safest for the people around me and for myself.
3. My CC techniques are less important than safety considerations.
4. My affinity for firearms makes CC a practice that is enjoyable in addition to providing a sense of security in some situations.

I hope this helps you understand why some of us carry C3 based upon our particular circumstances.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 01-30-2013 at 10:53..
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49   #129
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOFT View Post
1. I treat all important equipment well, and in the case of firearms I thoroughly inspect, clean, and lube them after each range session. Even if I've only shot 10 rounds. Ammo is kept in a cool, dry space off the floor, some of it sealed in an ammo can.

2. I'm always buckled up when driving.

3. I have a charged fire extinguisher in the pantry of my kitchen.

Quote:
Yes, you work in an environment where you're surrounded by danger. Much different from those of us who aren't in a similar environment so my thinking is different than yours in many respects. My preparation is also much different than LEO personnel, for that matter.

Quote:
By the same token nobody who handles firearms ever thinks he/she will suffer a negligent or accidental discharge, but this site alone has seen more than a few testimonials from Glock Talk members who have. By my calculation there are far more (non-LEO) members who have had a ND/AD than have engaged a criminal in a self-defense shooting. I don't dispute that it's better to be as ready to respond as reasonably possible, but I also believe it's better to be safe than sorry. Balancing the chances of a) being in a semi-prepared, potentially life-or-death encounter (very low probability) or b) suffering a ND/AD (if C1, higher probability) I choose to opt for C3 in my normal routine (which significantly lowers the chance of a ND/AD).
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07   #130
skeezix

G23: one in the chamber, 13 in the 'magazine'.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29   #131
hardint

G26 = 13 +1 or of little use.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:15   #132
SevenSixtyTwo

I started with a '94 Beretta Cougar with manual thumb safety for CC. Then three Glocks. Now back to a thumb safety on a P938 for CC. Now I've got the hankering for a Colt New Agent. Always one in the chamber. However you carry, practice until it becomes second nature.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12   #133
SFla27

Vandros,

As others have said, we respect your opinion and overall comfort level. It is vitally-important to feel comfortable with carrying a mechanical device that requires significant levels of practice, training and confidence.

IMHO, fine motor skills don't come into play if you keep your trigger finger straight when unholstering. That way, the trigger finger begins to enter the trigger guard during the presentation phase. And at that point, the weapon is not pointed at your body.

That being said, may I pose one scenario to add to the others that have been constructively and logically presented in this thread:

You're walking back to your car at the gas station, movie theater, some parking lot. Or you're just walking along somehwere. Some guy comes up to you (doesn't matter if you saw him coming or not) and asks you if you have some change you could spare. Or he just starts making some small talk or asks you if you have a cigarette.

Now, at this time, you aren't sure if this guy is a potential assailant or someone down on his luck and needs some spare change.

He's just two or so feet away from you. Close conversation distance.

And before you know it, he begins to attack you or begins the process of some aggravated crime. He's right on top of you in an instant.

You mention that fine motor skills could be a problem when unholstering, causing ND's.

By the same token, you have to acknowledge the possibility that similar motor skills are what helps you to quickly and fully rack a slide to properly enable one round to be inserted into the chamber.

Any chance your adrenaline-filled body could short-pull the slide?

And then you're dead because you began fumbling with a gun with a malfunction.

So, assuming you "stick to your guns" , would you rather shoot yourself in the leg because you unholstered your weapon in a very wrong way, or.... As they say, choose your poison.

Cheers.

Last edited by SFla27; 01-30-2013 at 07:22..
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59   #134
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I think you should carry the same way all the time (however you decide to carry) just for the sake of consistency.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
Old 01-30-2013, 10:02   #135
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

There are plenty of folks who are better off carrying with an empty chamber. If a person isn't sure whether they should or not, they don't need to carry with a round chambered.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06   #136
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

I always keeps one in the chamber, in case you ponderin'.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10   #137
bear62

One in the chamber is a lot better than two in the chamber.....

Last edited by bear62; 01-30-2013 at 10:23..
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41   #138
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
There are plenty of folks who are better off carrying with an empty chamber. If a person isn't sure whether they should or not, they don't need to carry with a round chambered.
Thank you, sir.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31   #139
PhotoFeller

There are two consistent themes in this thread, and I wonder if they are as inextricably linked in real life as they are here, in a theoretical context. Most respondents say they carry C1. Many say training and diligent practice are necessary for safe C1 carry.

How many people who have answered C1 actually receive ongoing training and diligently practice gun handling techniques (drawing, presenting, reholstering, drills to develop trigger finger discipline, use of free hand to hold off an attacker, etc.)? How much time is consistently devoted to self defense preparation using your gun?

I ask these questions because it seems that concealed carry becomes a lifestyle for those who engage in it with a sincere commitment to excellence. That isn't bad, but it does represent a substantial dedication to skill development for an unlikely event. Or, it may be necessary preparation due to criminal activity in someone's neighborhood and/or work environment. Or, it could be a manifestation of one's tendency to be prepared for even low-risk situations. It could even be a commitment to an enjoyable discipline, like martial arts, that could have practical benefits. For those who are deeply committed to CC as a major aspect of daily life, I guess I'm also asking why you are motivated to adopt that lifestyle.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 01-30-2013 at 12:00..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58   #140
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Ultimately people have to make their own decisions based on their own set of circumstances which may be far different than mine.. All that being said-

with the exception of very old revolvers, I cannot image a circumstance where I would carry a hadgun without a round in the chamber.

Violence can happen quickly, without warning and in ways most cant even imagine.. I will not handicap myself by having to chamber a round. People talk about training.. I can train myself to quickly put on a seatbelt at the earliest sign of a traffic accident, but that plan doesnt seem prudent.

Last edited by FireForged; 01-30-2013 at 12:06..

Closed Thread