Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 15:02   #1
rubsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
aguila 9mm

i was wondering if anyone used the aguila 117gr 9mm hp and if i could get some feedback.
rubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:22   #2
deathpriest
Senior Member
 
deathpriest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 765
Sorry, no experience with 117 gr but, 115 gr had served me well. 100s of rounds
__________________
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**
deathpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:52   #3
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubsy View Post
i was wondering if anyone used the aguila 117gr 9mm hp and if i could get some feedback.
Which round are you talking about?

Aquila made the IQ JHP in .45ACP (117 gr.) and in 9mm (65 gr.) so it is kinda hard to know which round you are talking about.

The Aquila IQ was a line of zinc-alloy JHPs that suffered from major fragmentation and shallow penetration.

Here's an example- http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...2/article2.htm

It has been discontinued.
__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by M 7; 01-27-2013 at 15:54..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:53   #4
rubsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
what type of pistol do you use? i shoot a glock 19.i just want to know if its reliable for glocks.
rubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:55   #5
rubsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
i don't know but ammo to go.com has it on their site for sale.
rubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:56   #6
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubsy View Post
what type of pistol do you use? i shoot a glock 19.i just want to know if its reliable for glocks.


What works in my gun may not work in yours.


Only one way to find out. Gotta shoot it in your gun.

__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:59   #7
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubsy View Post
i don't know but ammo to go.com has it on their site for sale.
Given it's performance, I'd avoid it for SD/CCW use.

That leaves target practice and plinking. Kind of expensive for that. There are better options out there.
__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by M 7; 01-27-2013 at 15:59..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:05   #8
Kentguy
Senior Member
 
Kentguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kent, OH
Posts: 1,003
rubsy,

Have you seen this?

__________________
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
óRudyard Kipling
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 17:55   #9
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
...Have you seen this?...

Water tests are beyond worthless for determining anything other than how you'd fare in a fight with Aquaman.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:09   #10
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!
 
robhic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,972
Their 115gr RN bullets are pretty good and seem a little bit snappier than others. I paid $197 for 500 and liked them,

(Those were some pretty sophisticated tests, too, huh?)
__________________
-- Robert --
NRA Life Member

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:46   #11
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Water tests are beyond worthless for determining anything other than how you'd fare in a fight with Aquaman.
...conflicts with the facts and the research conducted by numerous experts in the field of terminal ballistics.
__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by M 7; 01-27-2013 at 18:51..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 19:59   #12
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubsy View Post
i was wondering if anyone used the aguila 117gr 9mm hp and if i could get some feedback.
Aguila of Mexico is a good brand and they make reliable ammo, but I'd never use their HP ammo for SD, just plinking/practice.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 21:49   #13
Tiro Fijo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
This...



...conflicts with the facts and the research conducted by numerous experts in the field of terminal ballistics.

...who have never been in a gunfight.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 22:51   #14
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
This...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo
Water tests are beyond worthless for determining anything other than how you'd fare in a fight with Aquaman.


...conflicts with the facts and the research conducted by numerous experts in the field of terminal ballistics.
Maybe these "experts" should make an appearance on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader" TV show, because even a First Grader can coherently comprehend the difference between a living human being and a 55 gal. barrel filled with water let alone quivering blocks of ballistic gel.

Tiro is 100% correct. Such back yard ballistics test prove absolutely nothing when it comes down to what bullets do or don't do in living human beings.
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:34   #15
rustytxrx
Senior Member
 
rustytxrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,068
I am locked oin mortal combat with cottontail, jackrabbits, and other small table fare much more often that with anything that need kill with a defensive round. A good shooting 115 gr that workds the slide will and addresses the sight pretty well is a real joy especailly when it was cheap. i feed 4 or 5 9 mm with plinking and small game loads. i use a 115 HP most of the time if I can find one in the appropriate price range.

I have one 9 mm that is on of my favorite small game guns. It is a Swiss Police P220 in 9mm. has the lanyard loop and the bottom release clip. It sights have been set by the sig shop as well as the treggier workd over. Capable of very good groups

Caliber Corner
__________________
Rusty
Texas, I luv u

Last edited by rustytxrx; 01-27-2013 at 23:40..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 23:44   #16
rustytxrx
Senior Member
 
rustytxrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,068
When I can come up with a couple cases of a 115 HP plinking load agin I'll buy anooother two ro three cases.

I got about a case and 1/2 of the 115 grMagtech 9C left


I really enjoy plinking with the 9mm

Rusty
__________________
Rusty
Texas, I luv u

Last edited by rustytxrx; 01-27-2013 at 23:46..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 00:04   #17
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
I am locked oin mortal combat with cottontail, jackrabbits, and other small table fare much more often that with anything that need kill with a defensive round.
Why on earth don't you get a nice .22lr for that variety of mortal combat?
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47   #18
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
...who have never been in a gunfight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
Maybe these "experts" should make an appearance on "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader" TV show, because even a First Grader can coherently comprehend the difference between a living human being and a 55 gal. barrel filled with water let alone quivering blocks of ballistic gel.

Tiro is 100% correct. Such back yard ballistics test prove absolutely nothing when it comes down to what bullets do or don't do in living human beings.

So, if the number of gunfights you have been in are what it takes to be able to make such informed declarations, how many gun fights have you two been in that makes your opinions superior to those of researchers like Dr Fackler, Dr Roberts, Dr DiMaio, Dr Williams, Duncan MacPherson, Charles Schwartz, Beat P. Kneubuehl, and Eugene Wolberg?

Contrary to your empty claims, gelatin and water are valid test mediums.
__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50   #19
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In The State Of Fruitloops (CA)
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
So, if the number of gunfights you have been in are what it takes to be able to make such informed declarations, how many gun fights have you two been in that makes your opinions superior to those of researchers like Dr Fackler, Dr Roberts, Dr DiMaio, Dr Williams, Duncan MacPherson, Charles Schwartz, Beat P. Kneubuehl, and Eugene Wolberg?

Contrary to your empty claims, gelatin and water are valid test mediums.
Let me ask you a few simplistic Yes/No questions (don't worry I'll provide you the correct answers to the questions) and hopefully you will understand why such ballistics tests are worthless. Here we go:

1) Is a plastic gallon jug of water (or water soaked newspaper stuffed in a plastic gallon jug) a living, breathing human being made of various types of tissue, blood and bones?
Yes / No.

2) Is a 55 gallon drum of water a living, breathing human being made of various types of tissue, blood and bones?
Yes / No.

3) Is a block of ballistic gel a living, breathing human being made of various types of tissue, blood and bones?
Yes / No.

If you haven't guessed correctly yet, let me provide you the answers.
1) No. 2) No. 3) No.

In otherwords, there is absolutely nothing that can simulate or replicate the flesh, blood and bones of a living breathing human being. This is an absolute fact. Period.

And BTW, how many of those "experts" you named have ever been involved in a gunfight with a homicidal jug of water or a murderous block of Kind & Knox ballistic gel??
__________________
"I spent the last two years of high school in a daze....attended classes sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically."
Barack Obama
One Bad Ass Mistake America

Last edited by Merkavaboy; 01-28-2013 at 07:59..
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:22   #20
M 7
Senior Member
 
M 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
Let me ask you a few simplistic Yes/No questions (don't worry I'll provide you the correct answers to the questions) and hopefully you will understand why such ballistics tests are worthless. Here we go:

1) Is a plastic gallon jug of water (or water soaked newspaper stuffed in a plastic gallon jug) a living, breathing human being made of various types of tissue, blood and bones?
Yes / No.

2) Is a 55 gallon drum of water a living, breathing human being made of various types of tissue, blood and bones?
Yes / No.

3) Is a block of ballistic gel a living, breathing human being made of various types of tissue, blood and bones?
Yes / No.

If you haven't guessed correctly yet, let me provide you the answers.
1) No. 2) No. 3) No.

In otherwords, there is absolutely nothing that can simulate or replicate the flesh, blood and bones of a living breathing human being. This is an absolute fact. Period.
Well, you didn't lie. Those were some very simplistic questions.

Those simplistic questions also suggest a misunderstanding of how ballistic test mediums work- test mediums that have been found to produce penetration and expansion that very closely matches that found in bullets recovered from bodies at autopsy.

However, there is hope!

Here are four independent citations that will help you correct that deficiency:

1) Here is a study that demonstrates this truth with great simplicity that I am sure that you will enjoy: http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Fac...hester_9mm.pdf

2) In "Bullet Penetration", Duncan MacPherson states in Chapter 7 on page 123 (in which he explains why water and gelatin are both valid test mediums):

"The near identical expansion of bullets in water, tissue, or realistic soft solid tissue simulants is known to be true from experiment."

3) In "Quantitative Ammunition Selection", Charles Schwartz concludes in Chapter 2 on page 14, which he dedicates to explaining the equivalence of water and gelatin, that:

"Upon consideration of the comparative analysis presented herein, it should be evident to the armed professional that water possesses dynamic qualities (a similar density and a virtually identical internal speed of sound) that are nearly identical to those of calibrated 10 percent ordnance gelatin, making it suitable for use as a ballistic test medium."

4) Finally, Dr. M. L. Fackler, M.D. states in his paper, “Applied Wound Ballistics: What’s New and What’s True”, that:

"Water can be used as a tissue simulant and causes just slightly more bullet deformation than gelatin or soap..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkavaboy View Post
And BTW, how many of those "experts" you named have ever been involved in a gunfight with a homicidal jug of water or a murderous block of Kind & Knox ballistic gel??


If this is the standard that defines expertise in the study of terminal ballistics, then perhaps you could provide us with a verifiable record of how many gun fights you have been in and your research that led you to your conclusion?

Oh well. At least you have a good sense of humor.
__________________
For those who CCW:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by M 7; 01-28-2013 at 23:23..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,072
282 Members
790 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31