SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2013, 20:28   #151
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shoot Guns View Post
I am 23 years old and I live at home and I am going to let bunch of overweight 50 year olds who probably worked in climate controlled offices their whole life tell me that I am a loser and not "tough" like their generation?

I work about 50 hours a week blue collar doing hard work both mentally and physically. I make 50k a year which isn't too bad for my age.

I agree with a lot of things that are being said here believe me. But that list is so vague. I also live in Northeast NJ not bumble**** South Carolina (althought I wish I did sometimes) and I can't go buy a house for 80 thousand dollars.

A 600 square foot studio apartment costs $950 a month.

Most kids I know my age either live at home or live with a few people. Although most of them do seem to have a sense of entitlement which pisses me off but that's another story.

But really to dump everyone that lives at home being called a loser? That pisses me off and not to be an Internet tough guy or come off as an ******* but I wouldn't be surprised if my life is a lot more full and exciting then some Internet commando who just called me a loser.

I stoped reading after "I am 23 years old and I live at home ". Sorry.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 01-26-2013 at 20:30..
ysr_racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 21:55   #152
I Shoot Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Oh well excuse me, tough guy.

You actually stopped reading after the "overweight 50 year old" part. Hit a touchy spot?

Don't worry, you can feel better about yourself by telling 20 year olds that they will never cruise through life with the same vigor and independence you did!

Last edited by I Shoot Guns; 01-26-2013 at 21:58..
I Shoot Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:04   #153
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
My beef with many of these threads is the dismissal of what the Greatest Generation did-
I got on a web site and found the small county I live in in northeastern Indiana. The largest city in this county has about 35,000 people. It has not shrunk since the days of WW2.
More then 100 individuals from my county alone made the supereme sacrifice in WW2.
Lets give those folks the credit they deserve. Just as select individuals from the following generations deserve.
I agree. I myself am a veteran, and members of my family have fought in every major military conflict dating back to the Revolution (but just for the South in the Civil War ). I have a lot of people in my family that I have the utmost respect for, and then there are those that are best not spoken of ... There are those of every generation that are exemplary, those that legends are made of ... those that history chooses to forget .. and then the ones so terrible that we can never forget. In the end, respect and disgust are not based solely upon military performance, we would be an awfully narrow-viewed society if that was the case. There are many measures to base someone's worth from. None of them allow you to stereotype the entire generation.
Old 01-26-2013, 22:10   #154
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I lived at home for a good while after collage. While I did so, I paid my fathers house off and supported him until he was able to collect social security.

I lived there long enough to save up enough money to purchase my own home. I have a collage degree and currently earn $50k per year.

And yes, I still help support my father.

I guess everyone that has lived at home and talks to their parent(s) daily are a looser.

I'm not going to tell the OP where to stick it since he's so smart, he should be able to figure that out on his own.

Forgive me, because it is Saturday night, and I just got home from the bar ... and I'm trying to think of the most excellent way to be a dick about this:

Collage - The Okie Corral

College - The Okie Corral

I personally think it is pretty awesome you get $50k a year making collages The Okie Corral

... PS if you can't laugh at this I really think you should grow thicker skin, or get off the internet. Cheers
Old 01-26-2013, 22:12   #155
sputnik767

Quote:
Perhaps I am out of touch with reality, so please enlighten me as to what exactly is wrong with living at home at 23 years old? And just to set the record straight, I moved out when I was 22 and am currently 27. Honestly, is it really better to squeak by in some roach-infested apartment in a gang-controlled neighborhood while you are earning your degree or looking for a job? Does that somehow make you a better man? Or are you just an idiot who declined the help of his parents because of some ego trip? It's one thing if your parents are unable or unwilling to help, but otherwise your mentality is stupid. Sorry, but not all of us had the good fortune of entering the job market in a booming economy. Furthermore, I had the good fortune of finding a job right after college (see my post a couple pages back), which enabled me to move out. Many were not so lucky, especially now.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-26-2013 at 22:15..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 22:16   #156
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
I lived at home for a good while after collage. While I did so, I paid my fathers house off and supported him until he was able to collect social security.

I lived there long enough to save up enough money to purchase my own home. I have a collage degree and currently earn $50k per year.

And yes, I still help support my father.

I guess everyone that has lived at home and talks to their parent(s) daily are a looser.

I'm not going to tell the OP where to stick it since he's so smart, he should be able to figure that out on his own.

Neo, I normally don't do this but....

Its college. Once is a typo. Twice is....

BTW remember, I am pro this generation.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 23:04   #157
LEOson

Quote:
You know, not all of us in our early 20s that still live at home are losers. Some of us live at home because we pay our own way through school and can't afford to live on our own.
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21   #158
Firecop203

Sounds a lot like my girlfriend and her daughter. The daughter is married and living in CA with her Marine husband with two kids.

Always a two hour phone call every other day. Constantly on facebook or texting. I made both of them mad at me not long ago. I told them that they would have seizures if either one of them farted and the other didn't know about it.
“Neither cold, nor darkness will deter good people from hastening to the dreadful place to quench the flame. They do it not for the sake of reward or fame; but they have a reward in themselves, and they love one another.”
Benjamin Franklin
Firecop203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33   #159
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOson View Post
You know, not all of us in our early 20s that still live at home are losers. Some of us live at home because we pay our own way through school and can't afford to live on our own.
OK, granted some of you live at home for financial reasons. But man, it sure seems like I touched a nerve with most of you.

Let me ask all of you that live at home for financial reasons a question, who does your laundry? Who cooks your meals?

If the answer is "mommy", society's answer is " looooser".

I learned more about being an adult the first year I lived on my own, than I did four years in college. Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it.

And is it better to live in some crappy one room apartment, than to live at home with mommy & daddy? It is if you want to be an adult.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35   #160
GWG19

Sorry but I'd did not read all 7 pages of the responses.

I don't see a problem with a 23 year old living at home who has full time job or is going to school. I don't think most people here do. It is the ones who hang out all day that is the problem.

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z
Status and still very dependent as they are kids.
1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y
Currently some are fighting in Iraq and Afganistan, others are struggling to find their way and break free from mom and dad. A lot of this generation has not been able to experience the prosperity that their parents have nor do they want to work for it. They are even more den dang than mom and dad because of being raised in a dependant culture.
1965-1979 - Generation X
My generation, a real problem here. Questionable attitudes continue to perpetuate. A lot of this generation has not been able to experience the prosperity that their parents have nor do they want to work for it. The later part of generation X is the product of don't spank your child crap. A lot of the 20 year old kids are out of college and living with mom and dad because they don't want to work for less than what dad makes.
1946-1964 - Baby Boom
My wife's generation. Again a lot of this generation are seeing their 30 and 40 year old kids living in mom and dads basement. A lot of their kids are not taking jobs because they can't live in the same comfort as mom and dad. This generation also brought us Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll. As well as a very questionable change in attitude towards letting everyone do what they want.

The problems have perpetuated from generation to generation. Each time the morales, drive and work ethic receding a little bit more. There will always be exceptions in the generations the ones that do us proud.
My step son was a dependant emotional wreck. How ever he got up and went to work evey day. He kept his crappy job as server in a restaurant, with always the promise of a management position hanging over him. He finished two years of college and lost all drive to be successful when he saw you had to work really hard. It was easier to scrape by than try to advance himself. He did live out on his own and was married, but it took our support from them to get by.
- If you’re not moving, you’re dead.

Last edited by GWG19; 01-27-2013 at 08:40..
GWG19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08   #161
Green Mountain Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDivideByZero View Post
Forgive me, because it is Saturday night, and I just got home from the bar ... and I'm trying to think of the most excellent way to be a dick about this:

Collage - The Okie Corral

College - The Okie Corral

I personally think it is pretty awesome you get $50k a year making collages The Okie Corral

... PS if you can't laugh at this I really think you should grow thicker skin, or get off the internet. Cheers
You owe me a phone rofl.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 15:20   #162
ysr_racer

Quote:
OK, granted some of you live at home for financial reasons. But man, it sure seems like I touched a nerve with most of you.

Let me ask all of you that live at home for financial reasons a question, who does your laundry? Who cooks your meals?

I learned more about being an adult the first year I lived on my own, than I did four years in college. Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it.

And is it better to live in some crappy one room apartment, than to live at home with mommy & daddy? It is if you want to be an adult.
Wow, it sure got quiet around here when I asked who does your laundry? Who cooks your meals?

Old 01-27-2013, 15:26   #163
LEOson

Quote:

You hit a nerve because you're being an ******* about it. Last time i checked, being an adult involves being financially responsible. I'd be willing to bet many kids my age would be willing to live rent-free, or low rent, at home and save money up than spend their hard earned money living in some crap hole. And to answer your question, my parents provide the roof; I provide everything for myself underneath it. If it was financially possible for me to move out, of course it would. But just because my parents let me live with them doesn't mean i'm a loser.

Last edited by LEOson; 01-27-2013 at 15:26..
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 16:04   #164
steve581581

I see the same problem with my gf. We grew up together and are now in our 30's. she has absolutely no problem solving skills, her people skills are atrocious, and don't even bother asking for some common sense. It's irritating to the point that I now just tell her to figure it out and walk away. Her mom has coddled her so much that I have to explain that life isn't a fairy tale at least twice a week. People these days are pathetic.

It's sad that most of my friends find it strange that I fix things that break, own a sewing machine and know how to use it, have power tools, and buy do it yourself kits or build something from scratch rather than a finished product. But that's where my parents raised me differently. Growing up my parents had enough money to buy me anything I wanted but I had to work for it and if something of mine broke I had to fix it or at least attempt before they would offer suggestions or help. I moved out the summer after I graduated high school and only went back once for a few weeks while in between apartments years ago.

Last edited by steve581581; 01-27-2013 at 16:43..
steve581581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 17:57   #165
ohsnapzombies

Quote:

Tough guy

Last edited by ohsnapzombies; 01-28-2013 at 19:57..
ohsnapzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:38   #166
pugman

Yes.

I could paint all types of pictures of people with ten times more facebook friends than actual friends. I know people who kids are going to school for a Social Networking degree. I understand its impact on today's younger generation but this degree will have as much usefulness as a Liberal Arts degree in my day.

The fact we know no longer have 1st, 2nd or 3rd place but "Participation Awards."

On the upside, when the T-Virus finally gets out these people will be the first to go.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31   #167
CharlieDelta127

I'm a 20 year old college kid, and I'll tell you the answer to your question.

Your damn right we are. My generation is worthless. I am one of the lucky ones who had a pair of parents who raised me right with a work ethic and pride to stand on. To see the amount of my peers who are clueless to how the real world operates, and unable to do anything without mommy and daddy is disgusting. Granted, assistance from ma and pa is acceptable (in my book) but reliance, is not.

I pray for a turn around my friends, because if it doesn't happen, you can kiss a great country goodbye.

EDIT: They're are some out there who are decent and not a bloodsucker. Few and far between though.

Last edited by CharlieDelta127; 01-28-2013 at 08:32..
CharlieDelta127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:20   #168
Filhar

I work with a woman who has 2 daughters in their 20s that have their own homes. 6 children between them and expect their mother to babysit all the time and run their errands. She gets calls at work all day long asking favors. No husbands in the picture. She loves it. If she could quit work and take care of children and grandchildren 24/7 she'd do it. I really hope it isn't catching. There' s no hope of any of them being self-sufficient.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43   #169
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Don't feed the troll!

Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22   #170
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

I figure this is pretty spot on... so I will post it again, just in case it got lost in all the other noise.

Yes, losers and ignorant cowards.

Suppose I should extrapolate this out a bit. I know that my kids are not raised spoiled, dependent or as cowards. But I see the results of parents giving too much to their children just to appease the children. And those results get leadership such as Feinstein and Obama and others of their cloth elected.

The results are children that fail to launch, incur massive amounts of debt and take mounds of drugs to keep them stable. Since the removal of corporal punishment from not only our school systems but homes as well, and the new fangled "Talk to them!" methodology of child rearing we have a nation full of spoiled brats dependent either on their parental units or the government.

The sense of entitlement is fostered at home by parents that give to their children for little to nothing in return. So the child is programmed to believe they are owed so much for so little. This extrapolates out to a much larger problem as they grow older. But by then it's too late to correct the behavior in a timely and efficient manner.

I am not saying we should be beating our children, quite the contrary. Children need solid and firm discipline, a sense of order as well as a sense of belonging and being important in the family unit. As I have told Mali, I believe that MOST children can be raised without ever having to use physical coercion to obtain the expected behaviors. But there are some children that the ONLY way to get their attention is to hit the reset switch in their bottom.

There are many reasons why our children are being raised screwed up:

1. Family units are broken apart by divorce.

2. Family units refuse to mend past issues with elders thereby alienating a generation of built in child care.

3. Families are spread out which eliminates the ability of elders to help their children raise their children.

4. Both parents are working full time jobs which eliminates parental supervision and is used as an excuse to extract oneself from the responsibility of parenting.

5. Discipline is viewed as a negative thing. It isn't. How discipline is instilled is the problem, but discipline itself is a powerful tool in any persons kit.

6. Government intrusion into the private lives of families. I understand that abuse does happen, I lived in an abusive home... I know first hand what abuse is... and what it isn't. The problem is now little Johnny or Jane can run to a school official and rat their parent out. The child's word is taken over the adults word with very little initial investigation.

This creates an environment where parents are terrified of CPS coming into their homes. Children are pretty smart and if they sense ANY way to get an upper hand they will take it. CPS is their upper hand that has ruined many good families... all because the child didn't get what they wanted.

There are more reasons and sources to the overall problem. But the simple fact is to take our nation back we must also take back the responsibility we have ALL allowed to be given to the government. It's time to reform the public education system, it's time we start impeaching representatives that FAIL to uphold their oath of office. It's time we start building heroes such as John Glenn, Audy Murphy, Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong.

But... yeah the current crop of young folks are losers... and we are all partially to blame for it either directly or indirectly.
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41   #171
sputnik767

Quote:
Wow, it sure got quiet around here when I asked who does your laundry? Who cooks your meals?

You know something, of all of the experiences in my life that helped make me an "adult," doing my own laundry and cooking my own meals didn't really factor in. I knew how to wash my clothes and make a basic meal well before I moved out, and following an online recipe is something a 10 year old can do. However, I learned a lot while living at home, working 1-2 jobs, and going to college full time that prepared me for living on my own. Primarily financial knowledge. It's amazing how much you can learn when you don't have to worry about such things as cooking and laundry. And look at my situation now: I spend 14+ hours per day at a hospital (without pay), while paying my school $40k per year, have an hour+ long commute, come home having to cook and maybe get 3-4 hours of sleep. I would love to have someone doing my cooking and laundry, but that's not an option. So if I lived at home, which I would do in a heartbeat if the option was there, I suppose I would be a loser in your eyes, and not a functional adult. Sorry to break it to you, but you didn't strike a nerve with anybody. The whole issue is that your argument is idiotic, and the funny part is that you just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper.

Last edited by sputnik767; 01-28-2013 at 12:48..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 13:44   #172
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock20 10mm View Post
I figure this is pretty spot on... so I will post it again, just in case it got lost in all the other noise.

Yes, losers and ignorant cowards.

Suppose I should extrapolate this out a bit. I know that my kids are not raised spoiled, dependent or as cowards. But I see the results of parents giving too much to their children just to appease the children. And those results get leadership such as Feinstein and Obama and others of their cloth elected.

The results are children that fail to launch, incur massive amounts of debt and take mounds of drugs to keep them stable. Since the removal of corporal punishment from not only our school systems but homes as well, and the new fangled "Talk to them!" methodology of child rearing we have a nation full of spoiled brats dependent either on their parental units or the government.

The sense of entitlement is fostered at home by parents that give to their children for little to nothing in return. So the child is programmed to believe they are owed so much for so little. This extrapolates out to a much larger problem as they grow older. But by then it's too late to correct the behavior in a timely and efficient manner.

I am not saying we should be beating our children, quite the contrary. Children need solid and firm discipline, a sense of order as well as a sense of belonging and being important in the family unit. As I have told Mali, I believe that MOST children can be raised without ever having to use physical coercion to obtain the expected behaviors. But there are some children that the ONLY way to get their attention is to hit the reset switch in their bottom.

There are many reasons why our children are being raised screwed up:

1. Family units are broken apart by divorce.

2. Family units refuse to mend past issues with elders thereby alienating a generation of built in child care.

3. Families are spread out which eliminates the ability of elders to help their children raise their children.

4. Both parents are working full time jobs which eliminates parental supervision and is used as an excuse to extract oneself from the responsibility of parenting.

5. Discipline is viewed as a negative thing. It isn't. How discipline is instilled is the problem, but discipline itself is a powerful tool in any persons kit.

6. Government intrusion into the private lives of families. I understand that abuse does happen, I lived in an abusive home... I know first hand what abuse is... and what it isn't. The problem is now little Johnny or Jane can run to a school official and rat their parent out. The child's word is taken over the adults word with very little initial investigation.

This creates an environment where parents are terrified of CPS coming into their homes. Children are pretty smart and if they sense ANY way to get an upper hand they will take it. CPS is their upper hand that has ruined many good families... all because the child didn't get what they wanted.

There are more reasons and sources to the overall problem. But the simple fact is to take our nation back we must also take back the responsibility we have ALL allowed to be given to the government. It's time to reform the public education system, it's time we start impeaching representatives that FAIL to uphold their oath of office. It's time we start building heroes such as John Glenn, Audy Murphy, Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong.

But... yeah the current crop of young folks are losers... and we are all partially to blame for it either directly or indirectly.

Heroes, Audie Murphy was a hero. He went above and beyond. The rest were astronauts doing a job they were trained and expected to perform. They did. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I want to be reminded of a hero, I remind myself of the selfless acts of Marines and soldiers who dive on grenades to save their buddies. THAT is a hero. Oh, they are part of the same generation you characterize as "losers and ignorant cowards".

Think strongly before you stereotype anyone. Its wrong.

You work in a California college right?
Perhaps the kids you see there have tainted your view.

Old 01-28-2013, 13:48   #173
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
If I want to be reminded of a hero, I remind myself of the selfless acts of Marines and soldiers who dive on grenades to save their buddies. THAT is a hero. Oh, they are part of the same generation you characterize as "losers and ignorant cowards".
Marines and soldiers of every generation have dived on grenades to save their comrades. That wasn't limited to the so-called "greatest generation" at all.
devildog2067 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 13:54   #174
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Heroes, Audie Murphy was a hero. He went above and beyond. The rest were astronauts doing a job they were trained and expected to perform. They did. Nothing more, nothing less.

Think strongly before you stereotype anyone. Its wrong.

You work in a California college right?
Perhaps the kids you see there have tainted your view.

The heroes I am referring to are the ones we see on TV, that does not negate in anyway the heroism of military, fire, medical and police. The intent of my prose was simple, instead of idolizing people who play games quite well, maybe we should go back to idolizing people that make a real difference in our society and our world.

The men I mentioned as heroes were the heroes I grew up with. They are who I looked up to as a kid, who inspired me to do better not just for myself but for my fellow man. My views are not tainted by the kids around me either. Which is one reason I am always "in trouble" for me being me.

And if you don't think walking on the moon, orbiting the earth and basically strapping your ass on top of a massive explosive device built by the lowest bidder isn't going above and beyond then you can't that to even get selected for such a job is quite difficult indeed. Those men were the cream of the crop when it came to doing their jobs. The best of the really greats.

Last edited by Glock20 10mm; 01-28-2013 at 14:04..
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 14:07   #175
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog2067 View Post
Marines and soldiers of every generation have dived on grenades to save their comrades. That wasn't limited to the so-called "greatest generation" at all.
I agree with you 100%.
I am glad you see I was referring to the recent war heroes.