GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2013, 14:26   #1
flw

What types of Grocery Store food has a very long shelf life?

In addition to bottled water, salt,dried rice and beans, what other foods are available at a typical grocery store that has a long shelf life?

Also how long do typical canned foods last from date of canning ? Not best served by but still safe by ?
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 14:54   #2
quake

Longest-lasting is probably what you list, frankly. Rice, beans, etc. Pasta and canned goods are also very good for shelf-life considerations. Worst candidates are things with oils (nuts, bottles of cooking oil, etc) as the oil tends to turn rancid. No way to prevent that that I know of; and it can only be moderately mitigated even in ideal storage conditions.

Canned stuff can be literally years past its marked date. Tuna, canned hams, canned things in general. I was on my own last night (wife is babysitting a family member who just had their gall bladder out at 94), so for dinner I grabbed a can of chili (wolf or hormel; not sure) that 'expired' last year. I've eaten canned hams 3-4 years past their 'use by' dates. This isn't unique to me, many others here have done likewise. Some things will eventually get mushy (fruits, vegetable soups, etc), but in good conditions that takes quite a while past the 'use by' date, and even then it's still safe & healthy for quite a while afterward.

Storage conditions are the biggest factor in shelf life. We keep our 'pantry' between 45-65 degrees and also keep the humidity in there down at 35%; at low as the dehumidifier will go. And in those conditions we're able to keep even things like boxed breakfast cereal fresh-tasting for over a year; do it all the time.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 14:59   #3
par4buffett

Send a message via MSN to par4buffett
Twinkies, don't forget Twinkies... shelf life is in star dates...

Isn't canned stuff generally good as long as it's still vacuum sealed? I had a can of cream corn "explode" in the pantry once... : )
par4buffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 15:11   #4
Donn57
Just me

If you're squeamish about eating canned foods after the "expiration" date, the best foods at the grocery store (besides what you mentioned) are going to be canned meats. You can usually find these with an expiration date of three years or so. Not much else in the grocery store is going to be any better.

Of course, if you're willing to ignore the expiration date, almost anything in a can should be edible for years beyond the expiration date. The nutritional value and consistency may not be what it was when fresher, but it will sure beat starving.
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 15:25   #5
dukeblue91

From a grocery store buying point the canned goods are the way to go.
But thanks to the internet buying freeze-dried and dehydrated foods is very simple and relatively affordable.
But there are other things you should think about too, like spices, honey and sauces and the list goes on.
Most anything powdered will last quite a long time.
The trick is to buy what you consume now so that you can rotate your stock on a regular basis and don't have to worry about out of date stuff till the SHTF.
Do not look past the little things we take for branded now like coffee, teas, paper towels, toilet paper and if you drink a few bottles of the stuff that you like.
This will make it so much better then just eating beans and rice.
dukeblue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 16:23   #6
SFCSMITH(RET)

Canned goods..

I ate green beans and corn from cans last night that were bought in '97. tasted just like they did then.

We did mac n cheese w/ vienna sausages today for lunch, M&C was "best by" Apr of 10, VC's in '09. Cooked/tasted fine. Salsa was fresh, but i would think it would keep as long as the packaging holds up.. tomato products being very hard on cans and jar lids..

Canned goods last a L O N G time if the can is intact.

BTW, I have been quite surprised since finding "prepper communities" on-line, at how many people are squeamish about canned goods in general, and canned meats in particular. A couple years ago I had canned venison that my grand father had shot and meema canned. They both died in '97. I honestly don't remember what was the last year he hunted, but probably '94. I didn't die. My father still has a few jars of theirs.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 22:47   #7
Carry16

Every so often, when people are discussing food longevity, I just have to relate this story. When my father died I found a jar of bread and butter pickles in his fridge that his mother, my grandmother, canned 50 (that's FIFTY) years prior. We opened and ate the whole jar, and the pickle slices were actually still crispy. My grandmother really knew how to can.
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30   #8
Deputydave

Good ole fashioned oat meal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31   #9
boone10
Glockeologist

Your post reminded me--I haven't seen a "swollen" can in many years. Seems like I used to see them a lot more as a kid. Makes me wonder if commercial canning methods are even better than they were 30 years ago.
boone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49   #10
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Google is your friend. I remember a page with that info. Here are a couple:

Pretty extensive:
http://www.stilltasty.com/

Less extensive but easy to use:
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...ntry-Foods.htm

I've eaten c-rations older than I was (in my younger days).
I've eaten some pretty old canned chili and canned meats.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24   #11
Syclone538

YooHoo
do lot triumph tphcm ao chip do dung cho be vay cong so chan vay cong so nu chup anh cho be o ha noi

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:41..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38   #12
waawaaweenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry16 View Post
Every so often, when people are discussing food longevity, I just have to relate this story. When my father died I found a jar of bread and butter pickles in his fridge that his mother, my grandmother, canned 50 (that's FIFTY) years prior. We opened and ate the whole jar, and the pickle slices were actually still crispy. My grandmother really knew how to can.
I can't believe his fridge has lasted that long
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:10   #13
Carry16

His fridge didn't. He lived in several places after my grandmother died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waawaaweenie View Post
I can't believe his fridge has lasted that long
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:57   #14
JBL13

I don't know if there's anything special about how Hormel cans foods, but I've been focusing a lot on buying their canned meats. One of the reasons can be found here, right on their website: http://www.hormelfoods.com/About/FAQs/FAQs (scroll down to "Products - Pantry").
JBL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 20:57   #15
Aceman

I would not blink at 5 years past the date. But hopefully by rotating, that is never an issue, unless you have accumulated more than 5 years of canned goods!

Last edited by Aceman; 01-27-2013 at 20:57..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 21:05   #16
ClydeG19

Honey ftw.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59   #17
pugman

Canned goods from subs sunk during WW2 have been found to have no harmful bacteria in them when opened.

Granted its a cold environment; but the canned goods held up to the pressure.

I've drank beer which sat in a Wisconsin unheated garage for three years. The beer definitely had a metallic taste and it tasted like crap (then again, does Miller taste good even when fresh?) but I didn't get sick at all. However, I only had one.

Canned goods will last a very long time.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21   #18
SFCSMITH(RET)

Here is the deal.

If canned properly, no matter what the food, all the bacteria is DEAD. No new bacteria will magically appear to ruin the food. It is a SEALED environment. If the container is not breached, and the food was properly canned, the contents are edible. Tasty? maybe not. As full of nutrients as when fresh? maybe not. Edible? yes.

Use your brain.

Is the can undamaged, not leaking ? Is the can swollen? Upon opening do the contents seem ok? don't stink..? well, no more than when they were canned? No fuzz? no green/pink/grey growth etc?

The answers to these questions determine if it's edible or not. Not the date on the bottom of the package.
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 15:31   #19
inzone

long shelf life

CRISCO supposedly is just about forever..... not the healthiest cooking oil, but it has an extraordinary shelf life....
Mac and cheese in the boxes has a very long life, white rice, honey, salt, sugar, soy sauce, ramen noodles, pasta, bullion cubes, pre packaged Kool-aid mix, beans/dried, canned meats, canned fruit, anything canned, hard salami, hard cheese sealed in wax,

hardtack (you can make it in your oven). pinole (do a google search).... cornstarch, most spices, oatmeal, raisins, penaut butter is not too bad for a few years, I stored some white flour with dessicants and o2 absorbers, etc and it lasted fine for twenty years....although the experts say otherwise....

dont forget PLENT of matches, svae your jars, all your plastic bottles andf fill them up with matches, bullion cubes, salt, sugar, honey, etc etc......
inzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50   #20
USMC61

SPAM

As an aside, I read once that more Spam is consumed in Hawaii than any other state.
USMC61 is offline   Reply With Quote