Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12   #1
mfena0720

Anyone Get Their CCW in Medina?

Would like to hear from anyone who has been issued a CCW in Medina county, especially recently.

How smoothly did the process go? Was the wait time minimal, or did the Sheriff take almost the entire 45 days? Will they accept a digital photo taken at home printed on photo paper, or do they want a traditional passport photo?

I know that there has been an explosion in people applying as of late, so I'm curious to know historically how Medina has operated overall. I'm in Cuyahoga, and have no plans to apply here (Medina is my first choice, followed perhaps by Summit or Lake, unless anyone has another county to recommend).

Thanks in advance.

EMM
mfena0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 17:43   #2
John67

Medina CCW

Don't know about Medina, but left leaning Cuyahoga routinely drags its feet for as long as possible. Summit County is almost as bad. Got mine from Geauga County, had it in 4 days. I'm not sure if Geauga is adjacent to Medina, kinda doubt it. I would bet the further away from Cleveland you get, the quicker you'll get the permission slip. Good Luck!
John67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 22:10   #3
mfena0720

Quote:
Originally Posted by John67 View Post
Don't know about Medina, but left leaning Cuyahoga routinely drags its feet for as long as possible. Summit County is almost as bad. Got mine from Geauga County, had it in 4 days. I'm not sure if Geauga is adjacent to Medina, kinda doubt it. I would bet the further away from Cleveland you get, the quicker you'll get the permission slip. Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. My options for counties adjacent to Cuyahoga are:

Medina
Lake
Summit
Geauga
Lorain
Portage

I had considered Summit, but if they indeed are like Cuyahoga then it's gonna get scratched off my list. I'll replace it with Geauga. I kind of have a feeling Lake and Lorain will be a long wait. Portage I haven't heard anything about. Either way I'll call a couple tomorrow and ask about their appointment wait times and photo preferences.

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49   #4
TSiWRX

Geauga has typically been great - professional, courteous service along with fast turn-around. The only down-side is that I believe they are still an in-person-pick-up-only service.

Variable reports within the past month of people's wait-times. Someone on OFCC applied in early December and saw the usual <1 week turn-around. Another person waited 13 days, but his record was complicated by some extra legal hoops.

Time it with a trip out to Top Gun Supply, and you're good-to-go.

Last edited by TSiWRX; 01-24-2013 at 11:33..
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 17:58   #5
mfena0720

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
Geauga has typically been great - professional, courteous service along with fast turn-around. The only down-side is that I believe they are still an in-person-pick-up-only service.

Variable reports within the past month of people's wait-times. Someone on OFCC applied in early December and saw the usual <1 week turn-around. Another person waited 13 days, but his record was complicated by some extra legal hoops.

Time it with a trip out to Top Gun Supply, and you're good-to-go.
Thank you!
Well, now it sounds to me like I should definitely consider Geauga. As long as I don't have to wait for months, then I'm happy. No matter where I go there will be extra time tacked on because of my being an Ohio resident for less than 5 years. They'll have to search my background in my native Nevada.
And I will definitely check out Top Gun Supply. Never heard of it before.

I will post again to let you all know how everything goes with Geauga County.
Old 01-24-2013, 18:14   #6
TSiWRX

^ NP.

If you have far to drive or are concerned about the turn-around time, I'd give them a call, first. They're really friendly. Good folks.

I'd just hate to have you go out there, only to not have any better result than you would have had, somewhere else!

I've been looking for other replies on OFCC.org indicating current wait-times through Geauga, but I can't find anything more recent. That 15-day wait-time was for someone who had a "sealed" criminal record, but it was unclear in his post if the reason processing took longer was because of simply the volume of current applications or if it had been due to his background being a bit more complicated.

Top Gun Supply is: https://www.topgunsupply.com/

Be careful of their business hours, though, so that you time your outing correctly! They're only open a couple of days a week (https://www.topgunsupply.com/retail-store.html). I don't know if their retail shop has many long-guns still on the walls, but their showroom is always drool-worthy.
TSiWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47   #7
glock_collector

Here in mn we are lucky, most of my students have their card in a few days.. good luck to you'all.
glock_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49   #8
JPinOhio

Portage county is also friendly and quick, plus they have the advantage of mailing the license back to you. They do require appointments and unfortunately are 6 weeks out there.

Good to know Geauga is good too, and that option may be faster right now.

With the first major renewal batch coming due now, the sheriff offices will be busy.
JPinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:45   #9
bravorigging

ccw

I know this is no help to you but I am in Stark and they are slow I have been told, anyone able to go to Wayne county do it .Fast and easy .Wife and myself and five friends had ours in 5 days.
bravorigging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:11   #10
Brian40

I also live in Cuyahoga and went to Medina for the same reasons. It was almost five years ago, so I'm due for renewel and have to do it in the same county I got the original. The lady who does them for the sheriff's office is very good and is still there. My nephew went through the process about three months ago and received his in about a week versus the three she thought it would take. That was before everyone went bonkers though. Bottom line is she is very good and friendly to gun owning people.
Brian40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:21   #11
Black&TAN

Should be smooth sailing in Medina.

sent via Tapatalk
Black&TAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40   #12
Sr. Bang Bang

Did Lake county get a new sheriff? I got mine three or four years ago and that was (at the time) listed as the by far the quickest county to get your CCW. The Sheriff was thorough, polite, and I had it in 4-5 days.

-Bob Seger
Sr. Bang Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 21:36   #13
Brian40

Medina Update-I called to make an appointment to renew. Earliest I could make one was March 20. I also did not know that they moved Cuyahoga's office from downtown to the BMV Title Bureau in Parma on Snow Road. It may make it easier.
Brian40 is offline   Reply With Quote