Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 15:10   #21
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
Dude, first you are mistaken if not lying. Ross doesn't charge for any workouts unless you hire him as a trainer, but i doubt he'd work for you unless you're a fighter.

Why don't I stay out of threads? Because I don't want too. Why should I? Why would you read my posts if you don't think they should be in a thread?

You seem offended, sorry, although I am not sure why? Did the picture of Greg burst your bubble? Perhaps you bought a rope skipping cert? Have I said something that was untrue? Your statement about Ross is the only untrue statement I can find in this thread.
Perhaps you have not said anything untrue. You are not the only person on the planet who does not like Glassman, some of whom I respect for their abilities as trainers/coaches. You have never done anything but bash Crossfit as an organization. For the record and full disclosure, I have no opinion of Glassman. For that matter, I do not even train at a Crossfit gym. We follow the methodology but we don't call it Crossfit. We can't. I am also a Crossfit level 1 trainer. Which means I know just a bit more than the average guy.

You have never addressed the workouts, methodology or the results.

Furthermore, I am not aware of a Crossfit jumprope certification. If there was one, it was before my time.

Here are the CF certifications listed on the mainsite. I don't see rope skipping in there.

Not that it matters anyway but you keep bringing it up.

Finally, I am not offended. You are like the guy in the stands at a baseball game shouting "boooo, you suck" over and over again annoying the hell out of the people sitting around you that are just trying to enjoy the game.

Finally, I wonder what personal experience you have had with Crossfit or Glassman specifically that makes you so sour.

MF

Last edited by Goldendog Redux; 01-21-2013 at 15:11..
Goldendog Redux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:19   #22
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog Redux View Post
Here are the CF certifications listed on the mainsite. I don't see rope skipping in there.

MF
Frae the site:

Coach Blauer's S.P.E.A.R. System is the only personal-defense system in the world based on your body's physiological response to danger - what your body wants to do prior to any training.

Seriously? The ONLY personal defense system?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 21:45   #23
California Jack

Three seconds with Google yielded..... http://www.regonline.com/builder/sit...eventid=172918

My only negative experience with Crossfit is really with Crossfitters.

And really, you can really compare someone yelling at a baseball game to this? Short of sticking your fingers in our ears you can't avoid that guy. It would seem pretty simple for you to avoid my posts. Your analogy is weak at best.
Old 01-21-2013, 21:53   #24
California Jack

Quote:

I think it is funny that I crossed the finish line of a mud run with a Xfit instructor.
I think I commented on their program when I said this. ^

One more comment. Two years ago, there was a very outspoken Xfitter posting the virtues of Xfit on a forum I used to frequent. One day after dead lifting I decided to C2 a 2k. I posted my time on the C2 ranking website. Guess what, I was one spot ahead of Captain Crossfit. At the time, I was jogging on a treadmill one day per week and doing short ross based training twice weekly following weight training.

These two incidences can only conclude that Jackfit is better than Crossfit. That was a joke, but I really cannot conclude that Crossfit is any better than nything else.

Last edited by California Jack; 01-21-2013 at 22:17..
California Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44   #25
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Three seconds with Google yielded..... http://www.regonline.com/builder/sit...eventid=172918
Does the cost of certification include my very own "U.S. Olympic Team official licensed jump rope" (which he invented)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23   #26
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I am CrossFitter for almost 6 months. It is awesome! CrossFit 4x a week. Growing muscles very fast.

Whatever you eat and the regular sleep schedule will make a different. 90% what you eat will have the impact on your performance and your sleeping schedule.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35   #27
MacNobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR View Post
I am a firm believer that xfit itself is a good program. It has a good blend of strength and endurance.

But it is not literally for anyone. It can help people get in overall better "shape", or help them to excel at the WoD.

Not for a marathon runner. Nor for a powerlifter.

LOL this is true. It's a great way for anyone to get in better overall functional fitness.
MacNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40   #28
MacNobody

Quote:
Everyone except for glASSman himself and anyone without money.

Ross is for everyone except glASSman.

Ross fans are a lot friendlier than most of glASSmans nut swingers too.

glASSman is a great promoter and salesman however. A freaking rope skipping certification.
Quote:
Greg glASSman....

Strength & Conditioning

Ross Enamait......

Strength & Conditioning

Whose program seems more effective?

Dude, I get it. Glassman is fat and you don't like him.

Hell, Glassman is fat and that is all I know of the guy except what I have watched on YouTube. He doesn't coach me, encourage me, and he certainly doesn't bother me. The head trainers at the gym I work out at look just like Captain Pullup there. If they stop paying the yearly fee to call themselves Crossfit and become The Sweaty Bettys or something equally ridiculous, the results would be the same. As for the cost, they post the WODs on their site for anybody who wants to do them at home, just like the main site WODs. I choose to pay them and use their equipment and take the motivation from my peers at the gym, because without them giving me that, I may not try as hard when the desire to stop sets in.

If you don't want to Crossfit, nobody is making you. Stop humping my leg because you have a hard on for GlASSman.

Last edited by MacNobody; 01-23-2013 at 15:36.. Reason: clarity
Old 01-23-2013, 18:50   #29
California Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNobody View Post

If you don't want to Crossfit, nobody is making you. Stop humping my leg because you have a hard on for GlASSman.
Ma'am, you are mistaken. I wouldn't hump your leg or your vag.

It is also pretty clear that you do not understand most of this thread nor anything you just wrote. Instead of a gym you may want to spend your time at a library.

Last edited by California Jack; 01-23-2013 at 18:58..
Old 01-23-2013, 18:53   #30
PettyOfficer

Quote:
Ma'am, you are mistaken. I wouldn't hump your leg or your vag.
In before the lock!

Also, sounds like a great sig line.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
PettyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 20:55   #31
MacNobody

Anyway - I like to CrossFit. It works for me in a way that alternating running and lifting did not.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49   #32
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNobody View Post
Anyway - I like to CrossFit. It works for me in a way that alternating running and lifting did not.
No surprise there. Running and lifting promote opposing physiological reactions in the human body.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39   #33
holesinpaper

Quote:
Whose program seems more effective?
To be fair, I see a LOT of fat doctors. A lot of fat surgeons.

I'd still let them do heart surgery on me, despite the fact they might die of a heart attack any day.

I'd also take their advice on things to do with heart health, despite the fact they obviously don't follow their own advice.

It can be unfair to judge a program or advice based on the person in charge. Or at least it's not the best argument against a specific program or advice. Glassman can be fat and out of shape, AND his program can be effective.

*I know next to nothing about crossfit, never done it in a gym but probably have done a similar exercise pattern on my own on occasion. I never heard of either of Glassman or Ross before reading this thread.

Most people who 'develop' a system are a bit egocentric, narcissistic, greedy and well, jerks. Look at the hot yoga dude for example.

FWIW, America has a major obesity / health problem. Anything that helps people combat that through exercise and nutrition can't be all bad imho Some folks groove to Crossfit, some like yoga, some like running, some like weight training, etc. I get happy when I see anyone connect with an activity that will help them improve their health.

Last edited by holesinpaper; 01-24-2013 at 10:46..
holesinpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 19:24   #34
California Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
No surprise there. Running and lifting promote opposing physiological reactions in the human body.
Sort of GM. It depends how you train. Johann Blake has no troubles with opposing physiological reactions.

Strength & Conditioning
Old 01-24-2013, 19:37   #35
California Jack

Ooopppss

Last edited by California Jack; 01-24-2013 at 20:05..
Old 01-24-2013, 22:27   #36
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

Quote:
Sort of GM. It depends how you train. Johann Blake has no troubles with opposing physiological reactions.

Strength & Conditioning
Johan Blake is a sprinter. ANYONE who knows anything knows sprinting is invaluable with regard to training in the Crossfit/interval/threshold training world. I do not know how Blake trains but I doubt it involves significant distance running. I bet he lifts weight-squat/dead/bench etc. Sprinting is regularly programmed in Crossfit gyms across the world.

I don't expect he trains Crossfit, nor should he. Just like an Olympic class weightlifter or world class powerlifter, he should train specific to his trade.

Running-or perhaps jogging-which is more likely what people do should not be confused with sprinting.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05   #37
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
I assumed, perhaps mistakenly, the "running" was distance. Sprinting is a different kettle of fish.

Old 01-25-2013, 21:17   #38
California Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendog Redux View Post
Johan Blake is a sprinter. ANYONE who knows anything knows sprinting is invaluable with regard to training in the Crossfit/interval/threshold training world. I do not know how Blake trains but I doubt it involves significant distance running. I bet he lifts weight-squat/dead/bench etc. Sprinting is regularly programmed in Crossfit gyms across the world.

I don't expect he trains Crossfit, nor should he. Just like an Olympic class weightlifter or world class powerlifter, he should train specific to his trade.

Running-or perhaps jogging-which is more likely what people do should not be confused with sprinting.
Yes, I know Blake is a sprinter. I know a little about sprinting. Believe it or not sprinting was around before Crossfit.

It is not Crossfit/interval/threshold training. It is athletic training. Athletes have been training with sprints a long long time. It is not an Internet phenomena. Sprinting has always been a staple in athletic training.

Sprinting is a form of running. It is just one gait of running. Up until about three months ago, if I had told you I'd been running, it almost certainly would have been at a sprint gait.

I do not need to be told that"ANYONE", that was my point. People who actually know anything didn't need Crossfit to tell them sprinting was important. People, including me, have been sprint training before Crossfit was on the www.

There is no confusion with sprinting and running because sprinting IS running. Ifi said Bolt ran a 9.59 would you say I was wrong he sprinted a 9.59? Do you say, "I ran intervals" or" I sprinted intervals"? How about track athletes? I guarantee you they say, "I run the 100". Claiming sprinting isn't running is semantic silliness.

Last edited by California Jack; 01-26-2013 at 11:52..
Old 01-25-2013, 23:11   #39
California Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
I assumed, perhaps mistakenly, the "running" was distance. Sprinting is a different kettle of fish.
I agree greenie. I assumed he was doing distance running while trying to gain strength/muscle. Anyone that expects those things to both be simultaneously and mutually effective probably need glASSman.

My point to your post was just to say that with just a trace amount of smarts, you can get running and lifting to complement each other.