Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 13:10   #1
intenseneal

Ported barrel?

What is the benefit of having a ported barrel on a Glock? I have a Gen2 G23.
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 13:26   #2
vis35

Reduced recoil. But at the cost of increased flash and spraying unburned powder over you. Many of us do not thing it is worth it.
- Tang Dynasty
vis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:11   #3
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseneal View Post
What is the benefit of having a ported barrel on a Glock? I have a Gen2 G23.
I have an extended ported G27 Storm Lake in 357 Sig that I like a lot.
Haven't noticed any additional muzzle flash at the range.
Or been sprayed with anything.
Also have an extended ported barrel on my Sig P220 45.

IMHO - the porting seems to be much more effective with the
high pressure high velocity 357 Sig than the sub sonic .45 ACP.

Opinions very on porting a 40 S&W.
I don't have personal experience to share on that.

General Glocking

Last edited by barth; 01-23-2013 at 16:25..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:18   #4
4095fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis35 View Post
Reduced recoil. But at the cost of increased flash and spraying unburned powder over you. Many of us do not thing it is worth it.
What he said

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 16:26   #5
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Does not reduce recoil, it reduces muzzle flip, so your followup shots can be quicker. Doesn't create excessive flash, burn your eyebrows, damage your chromosomes, etc. Causes lots of hate on internet forums, but otherwise does no harm whatsoever. I like porting.
Old 01-23-2013, 18:13   #6
intenseneal

Really thinking on getting a Storm Lakes ported barrel to reduce muzzle jump and if I dont like it I can always put the stock Glock barrel back in, it takes all of 30 seconds and for $125 a barrel is pretty cheap.
Old 01-23-2013, 18:29   #7
kodiakpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarandScotch View Post
Does not reduce recoil, it reduces muzzle flip, so your followup shots can be quicker. Doesn't create excessive flash, burn your eyebrows, damage your chromosomes, etc.
^^^^^ That
kodiakpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 19:12   #8
elijah58

I really enjoy my ported Glocks, I have seen so many people with hate for these from Internet rumors and have never owned one, so they go from hear say and not experience. I have shot mine at night with no problem with flash. And powder blowing back??? I haven't even heard this rumor yet. Lmao from what I have found there is nothing negative about the C models. I just wish people would give a report on something they actually own!
Eli
Ruger Security Six .357 Mag.
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag.
elijah58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:39   #9
intenseneal

Coll A Storm Lakes ported barrel is on the list now for sure.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:41   #10
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah58 View Post
I really enjoy my ported Glocks, I have seen so many people with hate for these from Internet rumors and have never owned one, so they go from hear say and not experience. I have shot mine at night with no problem with flash. And powder blowing back??? I haven't even heard this rumor yet. Lmao from what I have found there is nothing negative about the C models. I just wish people would give a report on something they actually own!
Eli

This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36   #11
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

In reality, there is no downside, no noticeable difference in flash, no problems firing at night or from retention, when using factory ported glocks and any commonly available ammunition. That said, the average shooter does not shoot at level where they would benefit from porting. Porting makes more rapid follow-up shots possible in the hands of a skilled shooter. It will not compensate for lack of proficiency, nor will it make a mediocre shooter shoot well. The benefit is less noticeable in 9mm than, say, .40S&W. Kodiak, Elijah, and Josh would be correct.

Quote:

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-24-2013 at 07:40..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:02   #12
Finestkind

I have a ported Glock 22 and the only thing I noticed was that the front site got dirty quicker. Recoil was slightly less also. I like it.

Finestkind
Finestkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32   #13
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
I've got 40 + years of experience with muzzle-ported barrels that says you are wrong. You force me to conclude that, 'many of us' don't know your butts from your elbows when it comes to barrel porting AND how to use a ported barrel properly.

HERE ~ http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=612

Last edited by Arc Angel; 01-24-2013 at 09:45..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36   #14
PVolk

I used to swap in an extended/ported barrel into my G23 when I used it to shoot practical pistol matches. I used it for quicker follow-up shots, as I double tap all papers. It served it's purpose well and I have no complaints. And I can definitely attest that these issues do not exist: "increased flash and spraying unburned powder over you"
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12   #15
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
I used to swap in an extended/ported barrel into my G23 when I used it to shoot practical pistol matches. I used it for quicker follow-up shots, as I double tap all papers. It served it's purpose well and I have no complaints. And I can definitely attest that these issues do not exist: "increased flash and spraying unburned powder over you"
Good!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:30   #16
wacopolumbo

I had a 19C for the wife years ago. It was a real sweet shooter. I would say the only downside would be velocity lost for carry ammo. Anyone have numbers on ported/non-ported velocity differences?

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37   #17
PVolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacopolumbo View Post
I had a 19C for the wife years ago. It was a real sweet shooter. I would say the only downside would be velocity lost for carry ammo. Anyone have numbers on ported/non-ported velocity differences?
I don't have any numbers. But I'd be willing to bet there is zero measurable difference in the ability of either to stop a threat. I can say pepper poppers fall the same either way.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39   #18
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I have no way to back this up, but after I bought my 17C I remember reading some data that indicated a loss of maybe 75-100 FPS. Not that much, considering the benefit. And my memory could be foggy on that...either way I remember thinking it was somewhat negligible.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:54   #19
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

The difference is negligible. If I were hand loading for competition, it might be factor, but not for standard loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
I don't have any numbers. But I'd be willing to bet there is zero measurable difference in the ability of either to stop a threat. I can say pepper poppers fall the same either way.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04   #20
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacopolumbo View Post
Yes. The answer is that, 'It depends!'

Years ago the factory, in an off-moment of uncharacteristic candor, published the information that Glock's slide/barrel porting combination lost muzzle velocity in the range of between 3 and 4 percent. (A number which I've seen verified, before, on this board.)

ON THE OTHER HAND: The extended barrel and muzzle-porting setup that I use on all my Glocks loses nothing and, in fact, actually seems to pick up muzzle velocity.

My dual muzzled-ported barrels are custom-built to my own specifications and are extended 5/8's of an inch on my G-21's, and 6/8's of an inch on my G-19. These dual slit-ports might get you a 3 to 5 percent decrease in muzzle flip when you're firing slowly; but, when the rate-of-fire is constant, the decrease in flip can (at my best guess) increase to as much as 12 to 15 percent. (Some people have told me, '15 to 18 percent'; but I don't think so.)

Is a relatively small reduction, like this, in muzzle flip worth it? Some of the argumentative guys I shoot with - Who are not usually believers in ported barrels - have remarked after shooting one of my Glocks, (and I quote) 'That damned barrel actually works!'

It does!