Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 20:18   #76
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I am not dishonoring anyone. I did not serve. I am from the baby boomer generation. I wish to thank everyone who has sacrificed for their country.
but the TGG -as a whole-was called upon to sacrifice in a way and at numbers that stagger modern terminology. I agree medial technology is light years ahead of where it was in WW2. But TGG fought a global two front staggering war, that consumed nearly all of America's resources. Those who were left behind here in the U.S. were called upon not to drive cars, to ration food, women were called upon to do mens work in factories-it lead to better lives and more opportunity for all women-and families were shattered by the overwhelming death totals for US service people not seen since the American Civil War.
Thats your argument for calling it the GREATEST GENERATION?

Those at home had rationing and the line forced upon them, understandably.
We are currently running a war with so many fronts an algebra teacher would need to explain it to me. And maybe a geography teacher too. Mmmm probably not.

Look, I am not looking down on that generation. They had hard times, no doubt. I am saying they dont deserve a moniker of the greatest generation.

The baby boomers dont nor do the x-y-z-1-2-3 or whatever.

I am not trying to upset you. It seems obvious this time affected you deeply in one way or another.
If you would like to continue the debate, please give an example, not to include WWII, how that, or ANY, generation can be crowned the greatest.

Remember, I have not even brought out negative aspects of that time.
Right now, its about proving your assertion of the greatest generation.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by GRIMLET; 01-24-2013 at 20:20..
GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:25   #77
The Maggy

Let's see, we have a bunch of older people in here complaining and blaming the younger generations and someone has already dropped "the greatest generation."

Keep in mind that my generation is entering into an economic world that has been left in ruins by the previous generations.

Keep in mind that a generation does not raise itself. The current generation is the sum total of the past two or three generations that have had a hand in our up bringing. We are collectively what you designed.

That being said, my generation currently has access to and routinely explores more information on a daily basis than most generations before us even had access to. My cell phone has more processing power than NASA used to put a man on the moon. Don't count us out simply because we are taking advantage of what is being offered to us.

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:30   #78
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
Let's see, we have a bunch of older people in here complaining and blaming the younger generations and someone has already dropped "the greatest generation."

Keep in mind that my generation is entering into an economic world that has been left in ruins by the previous generations.

Keep in mind that a generation does not raise itself. The current generation is the sum total of the past two or three generations that have had a hand in our up bringing. We are collectively what you designed.

That being said, my generation currently has access to and routinely explores more information on a daily basis than most generations before us even had access to. My cell phone has more processing power than NASA used to put a man on the moon. Don't count us out simply because we are taking advantage of what is being offered to us.
I agree with you.

Technology.

HHahahahahaha

I couldnt resist!

Old 01-24-2013, 20:44   #79
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post

I will agree with you that job opportunities are not what they should be for young people. I have a son who is between x and whatever came next (Y?). He is a college graduate, works hard and is trying to get ahead.
No one is counting you out.
But ask yourself this. What do you think the reaction of your friends, fellow students, co workers would be if tomorrow you received a letter from the Federal Govt, requiring you to serve in the US military for the next two years? Not by choice, not because you are patriotic, or for any other reason, but because you are the right age to be a trigger puller.
Oh and chances are you will be sent to fight a foreign enemy in the jungles of the Pacific islands, or over the farm fields of France and sadly many of you will never return. Would you or your friends do it?

Last edited by norton; 01-24-2013 at 20:45..
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:53   #80
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
I will agree with you that job opportunities are not what they should be for young people. I have a son who is between x and whatever came next (Y?). He is a college graduate, works hard and is trying to get ahead.
No one is counting you out.
But ask yourself this. What do you think the reaction of your friends, fellow students, co workers would be if tomorrow you received a letter from the Federal Govt, requiring you to serve in the US military for the next two years? Not by choice, not because you are patriotic, or for any other reason, but because you are the right age to be a trigger puller.
Oh and chances are you will be sent to fight a foreign enemy in the jungles of the Pacific islands, or over the farm fields of France and sadly many of you will never return. Would you or your friends do it?
Forgive me for jumping in on this one.
The baby boomers had that happen to them in Vietnam. Why are they, you, not the greatest generation?

Please, once again, explain why its called the greatest generation.
You are 0-3 so far.
Maybe lets agree to disagree.
Seriously, lets.
I am really trying to be nice.

Old 01-24-2013, 21:02   #81
norton

The economic depression. Unemployment from 1932 to 1935 topped 20+% every year, reaching almost 25% in 1933. This is the heart of when the GG were growing up. The safety net of today didn't exist.
Our unemployment figures in the last few years reached 8% or so, depending on how they are counted. And you can go down to the unemployment office and pick up a check when you get laid off.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:02   #82
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Are we raising a culture of losers?
Yes, and as a result the Empire is swirling around the toilet bowl.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:08   #83
norton

The GG's pulled America out of the economic doldrums, fought a war and put America on a path to prosperity and world leadership.
Thats what made them the greatest. All the rest of us are just riding on their coat tails.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:17   #84
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Take a look at combat deaths in WW2. In the 10 years we have fought in Iraq and Afg, the total number of deaths is about 6500.
In WW2, the death toll for American service men was roughly405,000. That is about 62 times as many deaths. Do you think there is any way Americans today would have put up with that number? and of course many of the service people in WW2 were conscripted.
It was not forced on them. They were called, and they went. This would not happen today.
That's because the wars we now fight have no enemy. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:19   #85
norton

[QUOTE=The Maggy;19907679]Let's see, we have a bunch of older people in here complaining and blaming the younger generations and someone has already dropped "the greatest generation."

You can and do have opportunity in this country. You will be successful. Help us to defeat people like Obama in the future who are giving away treasure to those who won't work.
Tell your friends.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:19   #86
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
The economic depression. Unemployment from 1932 to 1935 topped 20+% every year, reaching almost 25% in 1933. This is the heart of when the GG were growing up. The safety net of today didn't exist.
Our unemployment figures in the last few years reached 8% or so, depending on how they are counted. And you can go down to the unemployment office and pick up a check when you get laid off.
Sir, they were subjected to a great depression.

Once again, the topic of this debate is about what they SACRIFICED.

I highlighted that not in anger but to point out the point of discussion.

A forced hardship is not a sacrifice.

Please, make a definitive point or lets agree to disagree......

Old 01-24-2013, 21:20   #87
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
That's because the wars we now fight have no enemy. HH
yes they do. They just don't wear uniforms.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:24   #88
GRIMLET
Deceased

Quote:
yes they do. They just don't wear uniforms.
And on this we agree.
Norton, good evening.

Be well
Be safe

Old 01-24-2013, 21:27   #89
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
Sir, they were subjected to a great depression.

Once again, the topic of this debate is about what they SACRIFICED.

I highlighted that not in anger but to point out the point of discussion.

A forced hardship is not a sacrifice.

Please, make a definitive point or lets agree to disagree......

They "sacrificed" when they stood up to the "forced hardship"
They didn't lay down, didn't cry that its not fair. They picked themselves up, dusted off and got to work.
None of us since then has been asked "as a generation" to put things right again. Maybe a future generation will, and then they can wear the mantel of "the next greatest generation".
Old 01-24-2013, 21:28   #90
norton

And this baby boomer has to hit the rack, because he has to go to work tomorrow.
Night all.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:56   #91
vikingsoftpaw

Effing Helicopter parents.

I had acquaintances of mine in the 80's of a similar ilk, but male. When they turned 18 +1 one day. Their father's snatched them up by the neck and took them to the local Armed Forces Recruiter. End Of Problem.

Females were married off. though.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:00   #92
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
In WW2, the death toll for American service men was roughly405,000. That is about 62 times as many deaths. Do you think there is any way Americans today would have put up with that number? and of course many of the service people in WW2 were conscripted.
It was not forced on them. They were called, and they went. This would not happen today.
Whitey killing Whitey. Progressives and Libs have no problems with this.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:19   #93
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
Whitey killing Whitey. Progressives and Libs have no problems with this.
Japan is "whitey?" HH

Old 01-24-2013, 22:28   #94
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Effing Helicopter parents.

I had acquaintances of mine in the 80's of a similar ilk, but male. When they turned 18 +1 one day. Their father's snatched them up by the neck and took them to the local Armed Forces Recruiter. End Of Problem.

When I turned 18 (plus six months or so), Dad gave me a duffel bag and said, "Good Luck."

Game over.

(His sage advice was, "If it doesn't fit in this bag, you don't really need it." As a young, mobile kid like me, he was right.)

(He actually gave me a bill one day for room and board, food, laundry, electricity, heating, car rental...

I said, "Dad! I could get my own apartment for less than this!" He replied, "Yep!"

Dad wins again.)
Quote:
That's why you send your daughter to college. To fall in love, and marry, a good professional man.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:29   #95
JW1178

What I have noticed is a syndrome of single moms with little boys. It's "mommy's little man" and she is going to raise him to be what she thinks men should be. At the same time, they don't want their baby to grow up, they want him to be a baby forever. Some, old enough that they are in school, have never had their own rooms or own beds. They sleep with mommy every night. Do everything with mommy. Developmentally behind big time. 3-4 years old in dipers. Barely able to speak or talking baby talk. They stare at their mommy all the time, it's mommy, mommy, mommy. I'm wondering how these little boys will ever become men?
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:32   #96
ysr_racer

Let me add that if you replied to this thread from your parent's basement, loooooser !!!

Last edited by ysr_racer; 01-24-2013 at 22:33..
ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:33   #97
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
That's why you send your daughter to college. To fall in love, and marry, a good professional man.
It really is still 1940 for some. HH

Old 01-24-2013, 22:36   #98
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

GT never fails! It isn't all fairys and unicorns for younger folks now days.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:39   #99
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
It really is still 1940 for some. HH
It worked for my Mom, and my daughter.

(They both have degrees and married successful mates.)

It blows to do it right.

(Or, just send your daughter to the bar, or downtown, and see what she comes home with.)
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:57   #100

I see this with my liberal sister and her mid-twenties son. She did/does everything for him. It's like learned helplessness. Even though, he moved out, she's still involved with every part of his life - he lives a couple of blocks away. I just shake my head.

My sister was a single mom raising him.

What's funny is she later married a former marine and has effectively neutered him, too. It's a funny/sad sight to see. They have two younger boys I feel sorry for.

Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.

Last edited by 427; 01-24-2013 at 22:58..
427 is offline   Reply With Quote