Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:51   #81
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglin_AZ View Post
....... Be careful out there boys (and girls).

Below are pictures. Your opinion and experience is appreciated.

Reloading

Reloading .......
That's, like, the worst pistol, 'kaBoom!' I've ever seen!

Sure it was a double charge; and you must have been using a very fast powder, too!

I don't anymore; but, 'back in the day' (My son uses this expression all of the time; and I knew that, someday, I'd get a chance to use it!) I put together many 100's of 1,000's of new and reloaded cartridges.

Much of what I read about reloading on the Internet, quite frankly, I couldn't do. I was introduced to the Number 1 hobby of my life by three shooting buddies - All older men who were very well trained, themselves. We used safety procedures and SAFETY HABITS that I don't even read in the manuals, anymore.

In the beginning we - instinctively - stayed away from progressive reloading. Everything was single-stage. We laid our prepped cartridges out in 25 or 50 count loading blocks, and processed exactly one cartridge case at a time, as well as one complete loading procedure at a time, too. All the cartridges went through the same procedure at the same time BEFORE the next stage in the loading process was begun.

After the powder went in the cases were all, 'flashlight inspected' in order to determine the powder depth level of each case. THEN, each case was capped with a bullet and the whole block was put next to the loading press for bullet insertion and crimping.

When I switched to a progressive press, my old safety habits went with me. NO DISTRACTIONS! When you're running a loading press you have to have your mind centered on the procedures you're running ALL OF THE CASES through. I found out something alarming about progressive presses: When you have a stoppage or, 'minor glitch' at any one of the five stations Y0U HAVE TO STOP AND CHECK ALL OF THE OTHER FOUR STATIONS.

In 40 + years of loading and reloading I never had one single overcharge. I had a few (3 or 4) squibs for whatever reasons, but no overcharges! I attribute my reloading safety record to the same reason(s) I've only screwed up exactly once in my life with a gun: I'm focused. I pay careful attention to what I'm doing. I instinctively regard any sort of interruption as a, 'danger signal'; and I'VE GOT VERY GOOD PERSONAL SAFETY HABITS.

Let's talk for a moment about firearm safety habits: There are (actually) two different types of safety habits.

(1) Well thoughtout safety rules that you memorize and remember.

(2) Personal behaviors that you will not - FOR ANY REASON - violate.

Personally, I attribute my own good luck at reloading, and my longevity with firearms to the latter rather than the former consideration.

Frankly, I wouldn't allow my own son to begin his reloading career with a progressive setup. He'd have to show me that he's ready and, 'knows his stuff' before I'd allow him to run more than one station at a time. Am I right? Am I wrong? I don't know; I've just never had a serious loading/reloading problem - Not in 100's of 1,000's of workbench-manufactured rounds.

Whatever you decide to do I'm going to offer a suggestion: Try to select reloading powders that ALMOST FILL THE CASE at the charge weight you've selected. You'll definitely advantage yourself if you do.

NOTE: I haven't read this entire thread. If you're using a progressive press then you need to get yourself one of those fancy, 'powder alarms' that'll flag any overcharges for you.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 01-25-2013 at 08:23..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55   #82
unclebob

If the person looked inside each and every round being load for powder or the lack of powder. There would be no reason to weigh loaded rounds. It might work for rifle ammo, but IMHO it is going to be a waste of time for pistol ammo.
GSSF Life Member
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51   #83
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
WOW!
I can't believe how it split the barrel lug like that
Glad your ok!
Most of the stainless barrels I've seen that experienced a double charge / or obstructed barrel split - although this one is most impressive....

.....the OEM barrels seem to bulge rather than split.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18   #84
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
Most of the stainless barrels I've seen that experienced a double charge / or obstructed barrel split - although this one is most impressive....

.....the OEM barrels seem to bulge rather than split.
The hammer forging process usually yields a stronger barrel. Not to mention most tool steels with the proper heat treat are stronger than the stainless used in most barrels.

I am not sure if companies like KKM, Storm lake and etc machine their barrels from bar stock, a casting or a forging though.

I am not surprised the barrel split the way it did. I would think the barrel failed due to a squib there would be a bulge closer to muzzle from the squib load bullet being stuck in the barrel. I still think this was a double charge.

Last edited by dkf; 01-24-2013 at 12:19..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52   #85
Colorado4Wheel

Progressives are no worse then single stages. It all boils down to one simple rule.

After charging the case with powder, look in the case and put a bullet on top of the case right after you look in the case. Problem solved. It's now impossible to double charge the case with a bullet on top. Works on the 550 as well. Put the bullet on the case after looking in the case and before you index the press. Simple and safe.
Old 01-24-2013, 14:13   #86
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The hammer forging process usually yields a stronger barrel. Not to mention most tool steels with the proper heat treat are stronger than the stainless used in most barrels.

I am not sure if companies like KKM, Storm lake and etc machine their barrels from bar stock, a casting or a forging though.

I am not surprised the barrel split the way it did. I would think the barrel failed due to a squib there would be a bulge closer to muzzle from the squib load bullet being stuck in the barrel. I still think this was a double charge.
I would think it depends on where the obstruction is. If it's at the end, you get the banna peel or bulge, depending on pressures. IF the bullet were stuck just inside the bbl, dbl of fast pwoder like BE, I could see the chamber letting go, but since no one really knows what exactly happened, it's all a guess.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 14:27   #87
sourdough44

Glad you are O.K., sorry about the gun. While fast powders have their place I have to agree with the 'bulky, medium burners' comments for most handgun reloading. With me that's usually H. Universal & Unique at times.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 14:45   #88
slowgoat

Glad you're ok!

Get well soon.
slowgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 14:54   #89
FLIPPER 348
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
If the person looked inside each and every round being load for powder or the lack of powder. There would be no reason to weigh loaded rounds.

I don't weigh mine as this handy little LED light fits nicely in the turret-

Last edited by FLIPPER 348; 01-25-2013 at 21:12..
FLIPPER 348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:01   #90
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I would think it depends on where the obstruction is. If it's at the end, you get the banna peel or bulge, depending on pressures. IF the bullet were stuck just inside the bbl, dbl of fast pwoder like BE, I could see the chamber letting go, but since no one really knows what exactly happened, it's all a guess.
Yeah it is speculative. From what I see it seems like most squibs at least make the midway point of the barrel. But I am sure that can depend on bullet to barrel fit, bullet construction, barrel length, how much umph the primer has, may be a little powder charge in the case and etc.

Last edited by dkf; 01-24-2013 at 15:01..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:37   #91
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglin_AZ View Post
I've been reloading for about 18 months and starting to feel more comfortable with the whole process but I think its safe to say I did something wrong.

I'm thinking that I might have accidentally double charged the culprit but I'm not exactly sure.
I think you are correct.

Glad you are safe.

Sorry to see you killed your Glock, but I am always impressed at how they go.

I would suggest pulling the rest of your reloads to see if you can learn anything from the process. If it isn't a double load, I would expect the wrong powder, but then this wasn't your first round of this ammo...so the odds of that are rather slim.

I will make my standard plug for people starting out with a single stage press.
Old 01-24-2013, 18:27   #92
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Yeah it is speculative. From what I see it seems like most squibs at least make the midway point of the barrel. But I am sure that can depend on bullet to barrel fit, bullet construction, barrel length, how much umph the primer has, may be a little powder charge in the case and etc.
I had a guy at a recent IDPA match fire, sounded funny, I did NOT see a bullet strike the berm & his slide cycled (light springs, 147gr gamer loads). I stopped him, he took the slide off & the bullet was just far enough into the bbl to allow the next round to chamber. PRobably never get it to happen like that again, but then, it only takes one. He was lucky, that last shot was prior to hime moving to another position. I would never have been fast enough to stop the next shot if he had been another target immediately after that.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-24-2013 at 18:27..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:00   #93
WiskyT
Malcontent

I talked to my 1911 buddy today. He has seen every type of mishap many times over. He said a squib will bulge a 1911 barrel but not damage anything else. Granted, it's a different gun, but it's the same caliber. A double charge will do damage.

He said a double of fast powder, like Bullseye, will rely do some damage, but not like we see in this thread. He said the case blows out, packs the remaining rounds down into the mag and they are jammed there. The grips are toast. The remaining rounds are actually wrinkled.

Based on his description of a double charge, I'm wondering if this was a triple charge.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:26   #94
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I talked to my 1911 buddy today. He has seen every type of mishap many times over. He said a squib will bulge a 1911 barrel but not damage anything else. Granted, it's a different gun, but it's the same caliber. A double charge will do damage.

He said a double of fast powder, like Bullseye, will rely do some damage, but not like we see in this thread. He said the case blows out, packs the remaining rounds down into the mag and they are jammed there. The grips are toast. The remaining rounds are actually wrinkled.

Based on his description of a double charge, I'm wondering if this was a triple charge.
Search GT, You will find this has already been done. Squib backed up by a regular load toasted a 1911 and hurt the shooter's hand.
Old 01-24-2013, 21:37   #95
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post
Search GT, You will find this has already been done. Squib backed up by a regular load toasted a 1911 and hurt the shooter's hand.
No thanks. I'll take the word of the guy that has been repairing 1911's that have been subjected to squibs for 35 years. He fits them a new barrel and sends them on their way. Squibs have been ringing and bulging barrels for a century now. Double loads blow guns up.

Old 01-24-2013, 21:49   #96
Colorado4Wheel

Just to be clear.....
Squibs don't hurt a thing. Shooting a round into squib is the bad part.
Old 01-24-2013, 23:52   #97
catalyst686

WOW!! That's a bad one!
catalyst686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21   #98
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
I had a guy at a recent IDPA match fire, sounded funny, I did NOT see a bullet strike the berm & his slide cycled (light springs, 147gr gamer loads). I stopped him, he took the slide off & the bullet was just far enough into the bbl to allow the next round to chamber. PRobably never get it to happen like that again, but then, it only takes one. He was lucky, that last shot was prior to hime moving to another position. I would never have been fast enough to stop the next shot if he had been another target immediately after that.
That was some quick thinking, he sure was lucky to have you around!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:29   #99
b_oglethorpe

Go find a weepy pine tree. Get some sap and use it on your wound. It will extract any foreign objects from that finger. I don't want you to loose it, the glock is enough.

Honestly I have became complacent after reloading for eight months. Thank you for the reality check. Take care.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
b_oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25   #100
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Just to be clear.....
Squibs don't hurt a thing. Shooting a round into squib is the bad part.
I saw a guy get a blood blister knocking one out once. But you're right, it wasn't the squib itself.