Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:15   #1
bear62

Problems with Firefox 18??

In the past I've used Firefox or Chrome almost interchangeably. For months I would stick with Chrome then switch over to Firefox when I didn't feel Chrome was "behaving" very well. For the past 3 or so months I've used Firefox almost 90% of the time. I upgraded to Firefox version 18 about 2 or so weeks ago. I've noticed lots of "slow downs" and "hangs." I've googled "Firefox 18" and it seems quite a few other people are experiencing the same problem.

Sooooo my question to you is ...... if you are using Firefox 18 are you experiencing any problems.... and if so what did you do to correct the situation?....... (sorry to be so wordy)
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19   #2
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
In the past I've used Firefox or Chrome almost interchangeably. For months I would stick with Chrome then switch over to Firefox when I didn't feel Chrome was "behaving" very well. For the past 3 or so months I've used Firefox almost 90% of the time. I upgraded to Firefox version 18 about 2 or so weeks ago. I've noticed lots of "slow downs" and "hangs." I've googled "Firefox 18" and it seems quite a few other people are experiencing the same problem.

Sooooo my question to you is ...... if you are using Firefox 18 are you experiencing any problems.... and if so what did you do to correct the situation?....... (sorry to be so wordy)
My Firefox must have auto-updated itself some time ago to 18.0. Until you asked, I never knew it. I never noticed any difference, thought I was still on 16.0
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29   #3
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
My Firefox must have auto-updated itself some time ago to 18.0. Until you asked, I never knew it. I never noticed any difference, thought I was still on 16.0
fwm, I have mine set to auto update also. So with v.18 you have experienced any "slow downs" or "stalls"?

I just went to Firefox HELP section and did a "reset" which Firefox claims "might" correct my problems..... Hopefully that will work .......
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41   #4
fwm

Quote:
fwm, I have mine set to auto update also. So with v.18 you have experienced any "slow downs" or "stalls"?

I just went to Firefox HELP section and did a "reset" which Firefox claims "might" correct my problems..... Hopefully that will work .......
No noticeable differences at all. Running XP at work and Win& at home.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44   #5
fwm

What I don't have, is Chrome. After reading some about it, I didn't like their terms of service. They collect WAY to much information. Could be some interaction between the two.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20   #6
g29andy
CLM Number 197
Charter Lifetime Member

Seem to have more pauses before page loads with ff18. Trying Chrome now, not getting those problems, or the "database error" msgs I was gettting every now and then on GT.

If you like Chrome, but don't like their TOS/data collection, try Comodo Dragon, or Comodo Ice Dragon.

Last edited by g29andy; 01-28-2013 at 10:40..
g29andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38   #7
RichardB
Silver Membership

Mine works fine. Have you updated all your add ons and supporting apps etc?

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 13:09   #8
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Mine works fine. Have you updated all your add ons and supporting apps etc?
After I did the "reset" in the Firefox HELP section the problems seemed to have gone away. I will look into "updating" the add ons, etc....... I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 01-22-2013, 13:14   #9
pipedreams

Using 18.01 and not noticing any problems on XP or Win 7 machines

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 17:31   #10
bear62

Since I did the "reset" found in the Help section all problems have gone away...............
Old 01-23-2013, 19:59   #11
WiskyT
Malcontent

Lately, I haven't been able to see my bookmarks. The menu opens and I click the bookmar folder I want and it "opens" like a ghost image. I can see the outline of the box, but the list of BM's isn't visible. If I slowly drag the cursor over the box, the addresses appear on the bottom of the FF window. If I left click, the desired sight opens. It's just weird that I can't see the marks. Restarting the computer doesn't help and it's not intermittent. I'm using a 1.5 gig RAM Dell Latitude 600 with Ubuntu 10.04.

Do you guys think resetting FF will fix this problem?

Also, lately, my computer has been half freezing up, if that's a good description. The cursor moves, but anything I click on is dead. Sometimes the screen dims to a grey scale and the color returns. It doesn't matter what I click on, even the Ubuntu tools at the top of the screen like "Places" etc. I have to restart the computer and then it runs fine for several hours before doing it again. This happens when using FF, but then that's the only thing I use the computer for, so I can't say that it's FF related. It's just that This problem appeared at the same time as the above BM issue.

I ASSume I have FF 18 because I have everything set up for auto updates and have gotten recent FF updates.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 20:50   #12
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Lately, I haven't been able to see my bookmarks. The menu opens and I click the bookmar folder I want and it "opens" like a ghost image. I can see the outline of the box, but the list of BM's isn't visible. If I slowly drag the cursor over the box, the addresses appear on the bottom of the FF window. If I left click, the desired sight opens. It's just weird that I can't see the marks. Restarting the computer doesn't help and it's not intermittent. I'm using a 1.5 gig RAM Dell Latitude 600 with Ubuntu 10.04.

Do you guys think resetting FF will fix this problem?

Also, lately, my computer has been half freezing up, if that's a good description. The cursor moves, but anything I click on is dead. Sometimes the screen dims to a grey scale and the color returns. It doesn't matter what I click on, even the Ubuntu tools at the top of the screen like "Places" etc. I have to restart the computer and then it runs fine for several hours before doing it again. This happens when using FF, but then that's the only thing I use the computer for, so I can't say that it's FF related. It's just that This problem appeared at the same time as the above BM issue.

I ASSume I have FF 18 because I have everything set up for auto updates and have gotten recent FF updates.
To check your version click on Firefox Help then "About Firefox" ... This will give you your version number.
Old 01-23-2013, 21:22   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
To check your version click on Firefox Help then "About Firefox" ... This will give you your version number.
Thanks. 18.0.1

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 13:39   #14
bear62

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Thanks. 18.0.1
You're welcome..........