Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2013, 19:04   #61
3.slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
10,000 rounds in how many years?
Probably 3-4 years. I shot long distance so a visual inspection isn't going to cut it when it comes to bullet placement 600-1000 yards downrange. I measure to the tenth grain every round, no exceptions.
3.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:06   #62
The Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Sorry. Buying a cheap low quality digital scale is never a solution to a KB issue.
I've had this scale for a year and the calibrated weight I use to check it before each use is always right on.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:11   #63
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.slow View Post
Probably 3-4 years. I shot long distance so a visual inspection isn't going to cut it when it comes to bullet placement 600-1000 yards downrange. I measure to the tenth grain every round, no exceptions.
Depending on your purpose & powder choices, weighing very charge isn't necessarily going to give you any accuracy advantage, even out @ 1000yds. In handgun ammo, total waste of valuable time IMO. Any decent pwoder measure will throw 1/10gr accuracy, 1/5gr max error, no handgun ammo is going to suffer accuracy, even out to 200yds. For years I threw charges for my 44mags shooting metsil. Weighing charges is way over rated, but hey, your time.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-22-2013 at 19:12..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 19:35   #64
Beanie-Bean

I use an LED lamp from IKEA to visually check the charges. I learned about the lighting thing from seeing "pictures of your reloading bench" posts, as well as from the guys here on the forum who use lights close to the press. Some guys even use the magnifying glass with the light ring.

Here it is:

Reloading

I've usually got a really good view of what's been thrown at the powder measure station once I get going. The shellplates are cleared when adding a new tube of primers, too.

Reloading

Last edited by Beanie-Bean; 01-22-2013 at 19:36..
Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 20:20   #65
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I've had this scale for a year and the calibrated weight I use to check it before each use is always right on.
Calibration weight is useless. It tells you nothing about if the scale is accurate at lower weights and if the scale is consistent.
Old 01-22-2013, 21:21   #66
DoctaGlockta

One of the reasons I use Unique in 45acp.

No one has mentioned that perhaps the KKM barrel was at fault. While unlikely I would at least send it into KKM for an evaluation.

More information is needed. Was there anything left in the barrel? What were the circumstances of the round fired right before the failure.

I agree with Whisky that this was a pretty catastrophic failure looking at that barrel. Isn't right where that baby started to split be the strongest area of the barrel?

I've seen bolts driven into a barrel of a semi-auto and not seen the damage like this (search youtube iraqveteran8888 hipoint test).

How many rounds had that barrel seen?

Something isn't right. I don't think this was just a double charge.

OP glad you are ok. I'd be sending that barrel back to KKM and give us some more info on exactly what happened as much as you can remember.

Appreciate you sharing. Most would have not I expect.

- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by DoctaGlockta; 01-22-2013 at 21:22..
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 22:06   #67
shotgunred
reloading nut

Sounds like a powder check die should be in your future.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 22:42   #68
rsrocket1

FWIW, a 10g charge of Bullseye would fill the case to 0.2" from the top and result in a 34,400 psi peak. That doesn't really seem like it would blow up a gun like that, especially since 9mm and 40 S&W can handle 35,000 (unless Glock makes their 45 ACP barrels much thinner because 45 ACP is only rated at 21,000 psi). Of course if the barrel were already heavily stressed, it could let go.

OP
You said you were shooting RN @ 990-1000fps, was that 230g RN? If so you were already at 23,000 psi and really pushing it. Were you using something like 6g Bullseye for that?
rsrocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 23:17   #69
Anglin_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
FWIW, a 10g charge of Bullseye would fill the case to 0.2" from the top and result in a 34,400 psi peak. That doesn't really seem like it would blow up a gun like that, especially since 9mm and 40 S&W can handle 35,000 (unless Glock makes their 45 ACP barrels much thinner because 45 ACP is only rated at 21,000 psi). Of course if the barrel were already heavily stressed, it could let go.

OP
You said you were shooting RN @ 990-1000fps, was that 230g RN? If so you were already at 23,000 psi and really pushing it. Were you using something like 6g Bullseye for that?

230 RN lead w/7.1 gr of powder. Felt hot and was high on the chrony. We then switched to 200 RN Berrys w/5 gr. of powder. Then cablooey!

I do remember the previous shot being expelled from the barrel so I doubt it was a squib. I'm thinking double charge. On my LNL I may have pushed the cartridge into powder drop dropped the lever half way and made some adjustment and re-extended the cartridge into the powder drop for the second time and missed the powder check die visual.

I'm weighing ALL my rounds for irregularities now.
Glock 17OD - Glock 21-SA XD45 Tactical-Beretta Neos-Delton AR-15-Benelli Nova-Ruger LCP w/CT-Savage Arms BTV 64-Mosin Nagant(Old Faithful)-Ruger Security Six-Ruger SR9c-Uberti Cattleman-Marlin 336-Tikka T3 Lite-S&W Model 36
Anglin_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 23:39   #70
Colorado4Wheel

Weighting loaded rounds really doesn't work in practice.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12   #71
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
I agree. Get out your bullet puller. Don't take any chances.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18   #72
Bren
NRA Life Member

As a Glock Talk member, you are supposed to title the thread, "another defective Glock kaboom" and then start by saying, "I know it wasn't the ammo...." You may get suspended for mentioning reloads right up front.

Last edited by Bren; 01-23-2013 at 08:18..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 14:18   #73
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
I agree... I've never understood people's fascination with weighing loaded rounds as a way of checking that the round was put together properly. If the round is already "complete" by the time you're checking it.... You're to late... pull it.

Bullet weight variations, brass weight variations, etc.. that can add up pretty quickly.

Glad you're OK.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 23:08   #74
xxhaxx

Reddit buddy xd
xxhaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15   #75
alank2

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I agree... I've never understood people's fascination with weighing loaded rounds as a way of checking that the round was put together properly.
For me it is quite effective, but I usually load the same headstamp so that removes the large weight variation with multiple types of brass. I usually do it for extra peace of mind and it only takes a few minutes with a digital scale at the same time I case gauge check them. I can't remember a time where the spread was so large that it wouldn't have easily let me pick out a squib or double.

Good luck,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48   #76
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
Hi,

For me it is quite effective, but I usually load the same headstamp so that removes the large weight variation with multiple types of brass. I usually do it for extra peace of mind and it only takes a few minutes with a digital scale at the same time I case gauge check them. I can't remember a time where the spread was so large that it wouldn't have easily let me pick out a squib or double.

Good luck,

Alan
For pistols you look in each case before you seat the bullet. Develop that habit and you won't need to waste your time on something like weighing bullets that is guess work at best.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52   #77
alank2

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFTW View Post
For pistols you look in each case before you seat the bullet. Develop that habit and you won't need to waste your time on something like weighing bullets that is guess work at best.
I absolutely do look in each case and this is the best advice of all.

I'm surprised you guys are so down on post weighing - it can be pretty effective if your components are consistent.

Good luck,

Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45   #78
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Hi,

I'm surprised you guys are so down on post weighing - it can be pretty effective if your components are consistent.

Good luck,

Alan
4gr is a pretty small number. Brass can vary by that much.

Like you said. Look in every case. If you feel the need to weight you probably shouldn't shoot the ammo. You either paid attention and did it right or you didn't and shouldn't shoot the ammo.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35   #79
SigFTW

Quote:
Hi,

Good luck,

Alan
It has to do with developing reliable reloading procedures and removing the gusset work. When I am thru with my run of "X" caliber size I know it is correct because I look in each case. Weighing pistol rounds is guess work because of the small weight variants can overshadow the powder charge.

However, if you are looking in the case and you want to weigh the round also that is your prerogative.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12   #80
fredj338

Quote:
Hi,

Good luck,

Alan
MAybe, if you use all the same headstamp & heavy enough charge wts that a double registers. IME, like 100Krds of 45acp worth, you can't verify a dbl w/ small charges under 5gr w/ any reliabilty. It's a false sense of security. Take a popular TG load, 4gr. Bullets can be off 1/2gr, cases can vary buy 2-3gr, even in the same manuf. So now you are looking for 4gr diff w/ 3.5gr variation, not gonna happen.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-24-2013 at 10:15..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote