Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 08:25   #141
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Yep the .40 Smith Sucks. If your going to shoot a .40,,, make it a 10mm. And make it count!
This makes me rethink getting a .40.
Old 11-14-2012, 15:16   #142
reelnative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
This makes me rethink getting a .40.

or if you want a real gun get a 45
Old 11-14-2012, 15:33   #143
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelnative View Post
or if you want a real gun get a 45
I have a .45, a Springfield Armory M1911A1. It outweighs my G17 by a big 20 ounces, and it has 9 less shots. My G17 shoots loads that are at least equal to .45 ACP hardball, and I have 17 of them in the gun. My carry load in the G17 is a +p+ 115gr JHP at 1400 FPS.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 11-14-2012 at 15:34..
Old 01-21-2013, 22:30   #144
lowflyer
Capitalist

I shoot 9, 40, and 45. I prefer 40 because I like its versatility and availability during runs on ammo. In my area, 9mm goes like .223, while there is still lots of 40.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22   #145
9mm +p+

Just another loud mouthed D-bag that thinks he has all the answers, I wish people would quit posting this clowns BS. The history of the 40 is NOT what this asshat says it is, Paul Liebenberg of team S&W had been shooting the centimeter or daddy of the 40 for most of the 80's. Get your facts straight before you get online and run your mouth. "Let's compare resumes" Really...
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14   #146
Cwlongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
Just another loud mouthed D-bag that thinks he has all the answers, I wish people would quit posting this clowns BS. The history of the 40 is NOT what this asshat says it is, Paul Liebenberg of team S&W had been shooting the centimeter or daddy of the 40 for most of the 80's. Get your facts straight before you get online and run your mouth. "Let's compare resumes" Really...
Yup.... agreed.

He brings to mind a comment about idiots... "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

I agree. I also agree that he simply is making attempting to make a name for himself. Trouble as I see it, is the name he is earning from people in the ''know'' is Idiot. (Or ass hat, I always liked that term..)

CW
Old 01-22-2013, 21:27   #147
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post

Edit: The .40 S&W is a fine round, and has dropped a helluva lot of bad guys. If you don't like it don't shoot it. Fair enough?
Stop with the common sense, will ya?
Old 01-22-2013, 21:36   #148
Southswede

We all have limitations. It is good to know what these limitations are. It seems Yeager knows his. What's the problem?
Old 01-22-2013, 21:59   #149
rustytxrx

scottieG59 is correct. you can get a pistol that shoots the ammo you slected well. This is a big pistol by most standards. Sig 229, stainless frame, stainless slide, 44 0z, compensator (weight). It handles the recoil of the .357 Sig 125 gr bullet with no issues. The pistol is (-edit just weighed my 10mm it is 3 oz) heavier than my s&w 1006 10mm.

It is not exactly like shooting a G34 with 9mm rabbit poot loads but I took it to the gravel pit to shoot some IDPA targets (pistol is not IDPA legal). My split time were good for me. One big thing was the grip fit my hand like it was designed for it.

Caliber Corner

Last edited by rustytxrx; 01-22-2013 at 22:46..
Old 01-22-2013, 22:05   #150
rustytxrx

The pistol is a set. It has a 40 cal barrel and stainless slide with it.

it will handle the 40 cal without a problem and I don't think either round is going to beat this pistol up enough in my life time to worry me.

Last edited by rustytxrx; 01-22-2013 at 22:13..
Old 01-22-2013, 22:10   #151
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm +p+ View Post
His mouth got the better of him. Due to his comments on his Youtube channel he made the news and lost his carry permit in the process. Makes me laugh.

Now he can't legally CCW his lovely 9mm.

Last edited by dkf; 01-22-2013 at 22:11..
Old 01-22-2013, 22:25   #152
lowflyer
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
We all have limitations. It is good to know what these limitations are. It seems Yeager knows his. What's the problem?
I am not a psychologist, but I'd say the man is dealing rather poorly with his PTSD and may be overcompensating for his shortcomings with embellishment of his credentials, possibly as a means of dealing with some survivor's guilt.

I've seen several videos now in which he refers to his resume in response to criticism. A credible and truly accomplished person need not refer to his resume to back up his opinion or respond to criticism.
Old 01-22-2013, 22:39   #153
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytxrx View Post
scottieG59 is correct. you can get a pistol that shoots the ammo you slected well. This is a big pistol by most standards. Sig 229, stainless frame, stainless slide, 44 0z, compensator (weight). It handles the recoil of the .357 Sig 125 gr bullet with no issues. The pistol is 2 oz heavier than my s&w 1006 10mm.

It is not exactly like shooting a G34 with 9mm rabbit poot loads but I took it to the gravel pit to shoot some IDPA targets (pistol is not IDPA legal). My split time were good for me. One big thing was the grip fit my hand like it was designed for it.

Caliber Corner
I remember when that ^^^ model was introduced. It is beautiful! I have the grunt grade P229R 40/357 shown here with the P229 9mm Tutone.

Caliber Corner
Old 01-22-2013, 22:46   #154
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
His mouth got the better of him. Due to his comments on his Youtube channel he made the news and lost his carry permit in the process. Makes me laugh.

Now he can't legally CCW his lovely 9mm.
Yep. Guy is straight up liar, too. He made a video called "Unbanned" earlier in the month, explaining how he has unblocked all blocked users on his YouTube channel. He also explains in that video that he will not be even reading the comments and he doesn't care what people post, even if it's obscene, etc...

Well, I posted on one of his videos, disagreeing with some other commenter. I was promptly blocked. Ha ha ha! So he not only lied about the blocking, but he's obviously reading the comments, too. Double lie.

Guy is a serious d-bag piece of garbage. He's failed at every career he's attempted (fired from law enforcement, failed contractor, terrible instructor). This guy sucks. Who gives a crap about anything he has to say?

Last edited by WinterWizard; 01-23-2013 at 00:12..
Old 01-22-2013, 22:48   #155
DonD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGlock23 View Post

I can shoot a 135gr plated at 950 fps or a JHP at 1600 fps. A 165gr bullet at 850 fps or 1400 fps.
You must be one of those guys who knows more than the ammo or powder companies and says his handloads work just fine.

You can't do what you say with acceptable pressures. Hodgdon says max with a 4" barrel is:
135gr/1434 fps/31,900 psi
155gr/1283 fps/31,900 psi

The 165 gr number you quote is really out of line.

Loads like that are another reason people shouldn't shoot others reloads. Accelerated gun wear or possibly worse. Don
Old 01-22-2013, 23:35   #156
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
I am not a psychologist, but I'd say the man is dealing rather poorly with his PTSD and may be overcompensating for his shortcomings with embellishment of his credentials, possibly as a means of dealing with some survivor's guilt.

I've seen several videos now in which he refers to his resume in response to criticism. A credible and truly accomplished person need not refer to his resume to back up his opinion or respond to criticism.
And the defenders of truth, justice and the Yeager way are conspicuous with their absenteeism now aren't they?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38   #157
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
You must be one of those guys who knows more than the ammo or powder companies and says his handloads work just fine.

You can't do what you say with acceptable pressures. Hodgdon says max with a 4" barrel is:

Loads like that are another reason people shouldn't shoot others reloads. Accelerated gun wear or possibly worse. Don
Quite incorrect, not all powders are created the same. I don't offer my loads for others to shoot, but have worked them up in my gun. Throw in a 6" KKM barrel and the fact that the .40 case is at least as strong as the 40K PSI rated 357 Sig, then now you have something.

I should update my numbers though, with the right powder my 6" .40 will average a 135gr Nosler at 1,849 fps, a 155gr JHP @ 1,554 fps, 165gr Gold Dot @ 1,485 fps, 180gr JHP @ 1,402 fps and 200gr XTP @ 1,230 fps.

The G35 I use (22lb recoil spring with heavy loads) hasn't shown signs of wear yet. Besides, I don't shoot full power .40 all the time, just when I want to. Most of the .40 I shoot is light stuff for plinking. But the versatility of the cartridge is readily apparent.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36   #158
lowflyer
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post

I formerly made a living at one of these companies developing those numbers and can attest that they are conservative guidelines. I can't speak for Hodgdon. However, in my experience, loading guide numbers were designed to keep the handloading individual out of trouble, taking into account the known variability in the performance of the powder and components. Exceeding the max values is done at your own risk, but that does not mean exceeding them will automatically cause harm. It just means the powder company defined boundaries in the performance envelope within which it would accept some liability risk.

Nobody should ever let another person shoot their reloads in any gun for any reason. It just isn't smart.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13   #159
English

One of the things we hear again and again without substantiation is that higher power rounds accelerate gun wear. With high pressure high velocity rifles the rifling burns out in front of the chamber but that does not apply to handguns and Glocks in particular.

I can accept that greater bullet momentum will increase the load on the bearing surface between the barrel lug and the locking block, and since the locking block is almost certainly a poorer quality material than the barrel, I can accept that eventually it might need to be changed, but that is cheap enough.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what is likely to wear out to an extent which impacts the serviceable life of the pistol and is not easily and cheaply replaced? Even more, does anyone have any real information about extra wear taking place with 357SIG and .40S&W relative to 9mm?

English
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41   #160
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
One of the things we hear again and again without substantiation is that higher power rounds accelerate gun wear. With high pressure high velocity rifles the rifling burns out in front of the chamber but that does not apply to handguns and Glocks in particular.

I can accept that greater bullet momentum will increase the load on the bearing surface between the barrel lug and the locking block, and since the locking block is almost certainly a poorer quality material than the barrel, I can accept that eventually it might need to be changed, but that is cheap enough.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what is likely to wear out to an extent which impacts the serviceable life of the pistol and is not easily and cheaply replaced? Even more, does anyone have any real information about extra wear taking place with 357SIG and .40S&W relative to 9mm?

English

I have seen some SIG barrel lugs break off and one Glock 23 lug. The Border Patrol had some problems with the Beretta 96 in .40 S&W that was at first thought to be the hot Rem. 155 gr. HP they used, however later many believed it was the frame of said gun lacking proper radii. I have seen some Glock locking block pins break on G22/23's as well.

Closed Thread