Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35   #1
dbarn

Gen 4 large backstrap

Anyone use the large backstrap on the gen 4? Did it change your POA or POI? Any known negatives?

I know this is purely subjective and most like the gen 4 without the additional M or L backstrap, however I'm finding the L backstrap correctly positions the pad of my finger on the trigger vs the first joint.
dbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47   #2
clarson_75

I use the large backstrap on my 23. i don't know if it changed my POA, but the gun fits my hand much better. it also allows me to put the correct part of my finger on the trigger easier then the original glock size.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53   #3
uplinker

I have two Gen 4's, a 22 and 34 and they both wear the largest backstrap. Not sure if it changed POI but it fits my hands much better.
uplinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 00:06   #4
I'm gone
at the track

I have a 26 and had the large backstrap on it, it fit my hand the best and ran about 1200-1300 rounds with it like this, but I was having a problem with slide bite so I finally took it off and even though I don't like the way it feels as compared to having the large strap, I no longer have slide bite or the beaver tail rubbing my thumb. I did notice after losing the backstrap I hold the gun more in line with my arm and I think it did improve my form even though I still like the large back strap feel.
Old 01-22-2013, 00:08   #5
freezetime

I recently added the large backstrap when i was doing my monthly cleaning/play time. I like the feel and am going to try to get it out to the range soon to see how I like it when i am shooting.
freezetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 00:19   #6
Riverkilt

Installed the large backstrap out of the box after trying the others. So went to the range with it. After major makeovers to make the Gen 4 G26 work without assualing me in the face with hot brass the gun shoots very well. Can hit a turkey sized steel target at 100 yards. I believe the large backstrap helps me hold the pistol well enough to shoot straight. Nothing fancy, just got there with trial and error and it was the best feeling fit for me. Your milage may vary.

Glock 42...somewhere you can't see

Last edited by Riverkilt; 01-22-2013 at 00:20..
Riverkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55   #7
Stang_Man

I use the Large backstrap on my G22.

I find that it does not change how my finger hits the trigge, which makes sense because the backstrap is so thin up towards the slide, with almost no added "depth".

I do like how it opens up my shooting hand, giving my support hand more contact on the side of the grip.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11   #8
SouthpawG26

Different backstraps do not affect your POI, as this only depends on the sights' (and thus the slide's) relationship (lockup) with the barrel, at the time of ignition.

Different backstraps can however get you back on target faster (by positioning the gun closer to you natural point of aim), and increase comfort by increasing the purchase you have on the gun, and the distance to the trigger. And when you become faster and more comfortable with the gun, you become a better shooter!

Last edited by SouthpawG26; 01-22-2013 at 17:25..
SouthpawG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15   #9
Hyena

I have big hands. In fact I hear lots of jokes in the patrol room about it (they're jealous). I just put the L blackstrap on after our range master "found" it. Fits my hand better but haven't shot with it yet.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12   #10
pmer

My groups are much better with the large back strap. With out it the groups were going to the left too.

My hand usually takes a large mechanics type glove.
pmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00   #11
LuckyG

Not trying to be a smartA, but you might want to just try the various backstraps and trigger finger positioning yourself on the range. Nice to get opinions - but they aren't your fingers.

Got my first Glock (Gen 4 G34) last year. I shoot DA/SA Sigs, 1911's and revolvers. Tried no insert, M and Grip Force Adapter. All shot about the same on the range. The variations in trigger finger made no difference. Settled on the GFA because it gave me a tight, consistent high position on the backstrap (draw/fire drills). Also points somewhat lower, like a 1911. Trigger finger position had nothing to do with it.

If a shooter has good fundamentals, slight variations in the trigger finger position should make no difference. I can switch from DA/SA Sig to 1911 to Glock without any difficulty. Don't get too hung up on minor details.
LuckyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16   #12
CynicX

Only way it will effect your poi is by adjusting your trigger finger placement. Even then its only a band aid to your trigger control problem.

If it were me and it was just a range gun I'd practice with the grip you shoot the worst with until you get them on target. I had a hell of a time getting my trigger control perfected on a glock years ago. Since then I shoot every handgun much better. All due to lousy trigger control.
Old 01-22-2013, 18:46   #13
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Gen 4 19. Added the large back strap and loved the way it felt. Got such bad slide bite from the beavertail hitting my thumb I had to go to the medium back strap and an aftermarket larger beavertail. But my glove size is XXXL, so your mileage may vary.