SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-21-2013, 20:50   #21
Anglin_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
ask again, what press are you using. looks like a double charge.

Hornady LNL
Glock 17OD - Glock 21-SA XD45 Tactical-Beretta Neos-Delton AR-15-Benelli Nova-Ruger LCP w/CT-Savage Arms BTV 64-Mosin Nagant(Old Faithful)-Ruger Security Six-Ruger SR9c-Uberti Cattleman-Marlin 336-Tikka T3 Lite-S&W Model 36
Anglin_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 20:51   #22
sellersm
disciplinare

He answered that in post #9 above: Hornady LnL.

I'm guessing double-charge as well. I'd definitely weigh those other rounds that haven't been fired. Pull any that are remotely questionable.

Glad you're OK. Could've been much worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Prosecute criminals, not guns!
sellersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 20:56   #23
CitizenOfDreams

Ouch. Glad you didn't get hurt too bad.

That's why I like fluffy powders that fill up the case. I know my reloads will not be double charged.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 20:57   #24
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRik View Post
ask again, what press are you using. looks like a double charge.
He answered.

Horndady LNL

SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 21:09   #25
GlockRik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ 40 View Post
He answered.

Horndady LNL

SJ 40
sorry, didn't see.
Old 01-21-2013, 21:16   #26
Anglin_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellersm View Post
He answered that in post #9 above: Hornady LnL.

I'm guessing double-charge as well. I'd definitely weigh those other rounds that haven't been fired. Pull any that are remotely questionable.

Glad you're OK. Could've been much worse.
This is the plan. Thanks
Glock 17OD - Glock 21-SA XD45 Tactical-Beretta Neos-Delton AR-15-Benelli Nova-Ruger LCP w/CT-Savage Arms BTV 64-Mosin Nagant(Old Faithful)-Ruger Security Six-Ruger SR9c-Uberti Cattleman-Marlin 336-Tikka T3 Lite-S&W Model 36
Anglin_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 21:19   #27
GlockRik

if someone gets a double charge on a automatic index press, it's oprator error.
Old 01-21-2013, 21:43   #28
snowwdog
snowwdog

im wondering how you got a double charge on a auto indexing press. I did have a situation this weekend as well. I loaded up 300 rounds with no changes on the press after loading 1200 previous rounds. My buddy started shooting and got a squib. We knocked out the bullet and he shot 3 more rounds that puffed and fizzled then another squib. We stopped and i pulled some bullets and they were way under charged. This is a dillion 650. I started throwing charges and they were low. Adjusted untill they were right and ran 5 or 6 rounds and then they were really high. Only thing i can see that may have happened was the powder clumped in the adjustment bar and then finally got knocked loose when i adjusted it. I did leave the powder measure with about 2" of powder in it for 2 weeks. It was a rainy 2 weeks and the humidity may have gotten high in the basement where i load. First time in 20+ years that has happened to me. I guess ill put my powder check back on the press.
snowwdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:00   #29
shotgunred
reloading nut

See how the barrel ripped it self?
I am guessing a squib and then a second shot.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:01   #30
GlockRik

snowdog, wondering that also. The only accident I have had on an auto index (SDB) was a squib. My operator error. I pulled a round, weighrd it and did not put powder back in the round.
I did not put a round behind the squib stuck in the barrel, so I came out O.K. Maybe this is a squib, but it's still operator error.
Old 01-21-2013, 22:03   #31
HunterLee

If it was a squib, the slide would have to been manually racked and then shot. I don't think squib, though it would be hard to double charge on an autoindexing press I guess anything is possible.

Last edited by HunterLee; 01-21-2013 at 22:04..
HunterLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:05   #32
snowwdog
snowwdog

i have been the victim of operator error before. You get in a groove and a primer hangs up or something and you play the shell game. if your in a hurry it can happen. i think i would notice a double charge tho. Im guessing a squib as well followed by full charge round.
snowwdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:19   #33
shotgunred
reloading nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
If it was a squib, the slide would have to been manually racked and then shot. I don't think squib, though it would be hard to double charge on an autoindexing press I guess anything is possible.
I have had 1 squib and it cycled the next round in just fine. Thankfully the RO yelled Seize Fire!
I had to use a brass rod and a hammer to get the bullet out of the barrel.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:26   #34
GlockRik

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
I have had 1 squib and it cycled the next round in just fine. Thankfully the RO yelled Seize Fire!
I had to use a brass rod and a hammer to get the bullet out of the barrel.
same here, except I recognized the squib and didn't put a round behind it. Also I was pretty green at the time and paid a gunsmith $35 to get it out.
Old 01-21-2013, 22:34   #35
3.slow

What changes do you plan on making to avoid double or half charges in the future?

I dump the charge into the primered case, immediately pour out and weigh the charge, pour back in the case, seat bullet. This is all on my Lee Single Stage press. Probably made and shot over 10,000 rounds with this method, never had a single issue.
3.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 22:52   #36
fredj338

Well, only one of two things; a double, w/ BE, likely, or a squib followed by a full pwoer load. I would assume you would have known if there was a squib event & checked. My bet is double. Just another reason I like high loft powders that fill the case at least 1/2 full.

Quote:
if someone gets a double charge on a automatic index press, it's oprator error.
Well, anytime you get a double, it's operator error, regradless of press type. As always, be a handloader not a handle puller. Verify EVERY charge visually. If you can't tell the charge is a double or single, change powders, life is far too short.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-21-2013 at 22:54..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 23:01   #37
Kablam

It's is something I've always feared when loading on a progressive press. What powders will fill the case over half full for 45acp with a normal charge?
Kablam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 23:04   #38
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablam View Post
It's is something I've always feared when loading on a progressive press. What powders will fill the case over half full for 45acp with a normal charge?
Well it doesn;t have to be more than half full but enough so a double charge is clearly visible. That rules out TG for sure, BE, ect. If you like uberfast poqders, go for loft like Clays, RedDot, WST, etc. Bulky medium burners will over flow a double or nearly so. Unique, Universal, PP, etc.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-22-2013 at 02:20..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 23:14   #39
SoCal326

Was that the "Hornady LNL Classic" or the "Hornady LNL AP"? It looks like everyone has assumed it was the AP but I never saw the OP say that.

I'm curious. Was there anything left in the barrel or did that last round actually go down range?
SoCal326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 23:15   #40
45ACP223

Just glad you are ok!

After looking at the way that barrel split at the lugs, I'd have to agree with the squib followed up by another round (perhaps in a rapid fire situation the squib wasn't detected since Glocks have short trigger resets and fire very quickly).

With my single stage press, I've never had a squib or double load of powder. I always fill 25 rounds at a time and visually check the levels before moving to the press. In my Dillon Sq. Deal, I've had issues with misfed primers, or not aligning the empty brass at the 1st station properly, where the press then indexed without filling the 2nd stage. A quick look in the case at the 3rd stage will catch it. It's easy on progressive loaders to get relaxed, but I have a habit of a quick look inside the case before placing the bullet on top.
45ACP223 is offline   Reply With Quote