GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35   #1
RF7126
Senior Member
 
RF7126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western Indiana
Posts: 2,192


Florida cops - Questions about moving to FL and getting into LE

Hello all,
I'm really interested in making the move to Florida, but I could use some advice from the guys there.

First and foremost, every department that I check into appears to require academy certification prior to even applying. Are there any that pay for you to go to the academy?

I'm a reserve officer here in Indiana. So although I'm fully sworn and legally the same as a full-time officer, all of my training was done locally. As a result, I don't have the full academy certification that's transferable and I will have to attend an academy in Florida to become certified. This doesn't bother me, but it makes it difficult to move and stay/get into law enforcement. My full time job is security management, but none of that transfers without classes either it seems...

Also, I would love to hear any recommendations of places to go (or stay away from). Ideally I'd like to be near either coast, in a place with a population between 40,000 and 500,000. I wouldn't mind working in a high-crime area but my girlfriend will likely be going with me so I'd like for us to at least be able to live and for her to work in a fairly safe place if possible. Having said that I'll just be thrilled to find a place to work!

The two areas I'm looking at right now are the Charlotte/Lee County areas and the Melbourne/Brevard County area.

If anyone has any advice on where/how to make the move and get hired in Florida from out of state I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by RF7126; 01-21-2013 at 01:44..
RF7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14   #2
IGotIt
No Demlibtards
 
IGotIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: On The Edge
Posts: 1,435
You might look a bit further north on one coast, Hillsborough County Sheriff Dept, and further south on the other coast, Miami PD. Both are hiring but I don't know if they will help with the academy costs. St Petersburg used to but they shut the dept down and the Pinellas County sheriff dept took over.

Further north, Gainesville might still pay for the academy too. I had a website for Fl LEO jobs, if I can locate it I'll send it your way.

http://www.golawenforcement.com/jobs2.htm
__________________
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew.

Last edited by IGotIt; 01-21-2013 at 06:22.. Reason: add info.
IGotIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21   #3
Bruce M
Senior Member
 
Bruce M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 24,699
Entry law enforcement jobs are still scarce enough here such that my guess is that you will need to look for a job and then find some place close by that is acceptable to live. More and more agencies are requiring people to be certified; too many have been burned by paying to send someone through the academy only to have them leave. Many agencies that still pay for an academy require the employee to sign a contract agreeing to stay for a time period.

http://www.mdc.edu/main/justice/trai...forcement.aspx

http://beatrooper.com/
__________________
Bruce
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:23   #4
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,325
When I first started looking at Tampa PD. They said they'd pay something like $400 gross a week if they decided to pay for your academy. I asked the recruiter and she said that most people had a second income or stayed with their parents and that it was a major issue with hiring some people who couldn't afford that low an income.

Needless to say, I went elsewhere.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37   #5
cwr
Senior Member
 
cwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 115
Daytona Beach Shores is a good agency in Volusia County and they are triple certified - police/fire/EMT - as they combined all three into a public safety agency years ago (and figured out how to make it work). Typically they hire individuals with one of the certificates and pay them full salary to obtain the other two. The only other agency I would recommend in Volusia County is the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. They usually put a few individuals through each academy but many of their hires were ones who put themselves through it. The LEO academy at Daytona State College, who both these agencies use, is:

In-state tuition: $2925 (requires one year previous state residency)
Out of state tuition $9750
Uniforms, books, TABE test and BAT test about $790.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chuck
__________________
Chuck
Florida's East Coast

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you. – Jeremy Clarkson
cwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:43   #6
ranger1968
Senior Member
 
ranger1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,796
Although a lot of departments are starting to hire people again, there are a LOT of already certified people out there competing for the jobs, so the reality of it is that you have a tough road ahead of you.....

As someone else said, check around the state and figure out where you would like to live; Florida is a HUGE state, covering 2 time zones and a number a vastly different areas in terms of the culture, living expenses, and to a limited extent, geography; do some homework, and figure out what area appeals to you;

Once you do that, start your job search.
ranger1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46   #7
RF7126
Senior Member
 
RF7126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western Indiana
Posts: 2,192


Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
You might look a bit further north on one coast, Hillsborough County Sheriff Dept, and further south on the other coast, Miami PD. Both are hiring but I don't know if they will help with the academy costs. St Petersburg used to but they shut the dept down and the Pinellas County sheriff dept took over.

Further north, Gainesville might still pay for the academy too. I had a website for Fl LEO jobs, if I can locate it I'll send it your way.

http://www.golawenforcement.com/jobs2.htm
Good to know about Hillsborough; I just took a look at it and it looks as though they may have their own academy. I appreciate the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Entry law enforcement jobs are still scarce enough here such that my guess is that you will need to look for a job and then find some place close by that is acceptable to live. More and more agencies are requiring people to be certified; too many have been burned by paying to send someone through the academy only to have them leave. Many agencies that still pay for an academy require the employee to sign a contract agreeing to stay for a time period.

http://www.mdc.edu/main/justice/trai...forcement.aspx

http://beatrooper.com/
Unfortunately I understand that, but at this point I'd be thrilled to sign a contract for a FL agency! In fact my current agency (small town) is having the same problem. They'll hire a reserve full-time, send them to the academy, and then a year later they're off to a bigger department. So they're doing contracts now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
When I first started looking at Tampa PD. They said they'd pay something like $400 gross a week if they decided to pay for your academy. I asked the recruiter and she said that most people had a second income or stayed with their parents and that it was a major issue with hiring some people who couldn't afford that low an income.

Needless to say, I went elsewhere.
I hate to admit it but that's not a lot less than I make right now. Although it doesn't make it easy! Was that recent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwr View Post
The only other agency I would recommend in Volusia County is the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. They usually put a few individuals through each academy but many of their hires were ones who put themselves through it. The LEO academy at Daytona State College, who both these agencies use, is:

In-state tuition: $2925 (requires one year previous state residency)
Out of state tuition $9750
Uniforms, books, TABE test and BAT test about $790.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chuck
Thanks, I'll have to check into that as well. I appreciate the numbers on the academy, I hadn't contacted one yet. I might have to just find a job for a year first, 10000 is a bit much for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
As someone else said, check around the state and figure out where you would like to live; Florida is a HUGE state, covering 2 time zones and a number a vastly different areas in terms of the culture, living expenses, and to a limited extent, geography; do some homework, and figure out what area appeals to you;

Once you do that, start your job search.
That's my hope, we went down this past summer and checked out the two areas I listed in my post and we'll probably do the same the next time we get a vacation.

Last edited by RF7126; 01-21-2013 at 11:57..
RF7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17   #8
ranger1968
Senior Member
 
ranger1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,796
Charlotte and Lee counties have the Sheriff's office of each county (Lee has about 1500 people, Charlotte about 350) , as well as several municipal police depts; Fort Myers PD, Cape Coral PD, Punta Gorda PD, and a few others; If you are living in Charlotte , then it's also a pretty short hop to the Sarasota area, with NorthPort PD and the Sarasota S.O......

Of the two areas, I would look at the Punta Gorda/Charlotte County are to live; it's a bit nicer in most places than Lee, and the nicer areas there cheaper than the nicer areas of Lee; it also puts you in a good spot to go either North or South looking for work.

In the Brevard area, you have Coco PD, Melbourne PD, Titusville PD, the Brevard SO, and some other municiplaites; All of the areas I mentioned have good and ba d spots to live, so check them all out;

Take any job you can get , but if you have a choice, the Sheriff's Offices tend to be better in terms of overall pay and benefits; addtionally, they tend to be larger agenices, so you have more career opportunites.....but take whatt you can get right now, times are tough.

Generally, the West Coast is a little cheaper to live on, but not that much cheaper.....

I would do a blanket search of the areas online, get all the department info, and then write letters or emails to them all, followed up with phone calls to the right person with specific questions....

Also, so you know, basic recruit acadmey here is 900ish hours, with a number of exams; when you sucessfully complete the academy traning, you may apply to take your state board exam; (400 or soo questions!) once you pass that , you are certified, and eliglble for service; most departments have a 12-14 week FTO program ( or a minimum number of DOR's) as well as a year's probationary period....

I hope this helps, and Good luck!
ranger1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32   #9
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,325
It was about 6 years ago.
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 21:05   #10
wolf19r
Problem Solved!
 
wolf19r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: JAX, FL
Posts: 1,598
Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
Im still looking for a leo job here 6 months later. The problem is their are few places that are hiring and there are thousands of recruits every year getting added to the pool. Pick areas you want to move to and spread from there I've called all the places near me and have apps in to all of them. You have prior le so I would look and see if you could take the state exam and call the fdle to see if your certs can transfer to Florida and save a few thousand while your at it. Just a thought.
__________________
GLOCK Certified Armorer
wolf19r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 22:48   #11
RF7126
Senior Member
 
RF7126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western Indiana
Posts: 2,192


Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Charlotte and Lee counties have the Sheriff's office of each county (Lee has about 1500 people, Charlotte about 350) , as well as several municipal police depts; Fort Myers PD, Cape Coral PD, Punta Gorda PD, and a few others; If you are living in Charlotte , then it's also a pretty short hop to the Sarasota area, with NorthPort PD and the Sarasota S.O......
---
I hope this helps, and Good luck!
I greatly appreciate all the info, I know much less about how Florida works than I should so I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
It was about 6 years ago.
Ah okay thanks, I'll have to check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf19r View Post
Im still looking for a leo job here 6 months later. The problem is their are few places that are hiring and there are thousands of recruits every year getting added to the pool. Pick areas you want to move to and spread from there I've called all the places near me and have apps in to all of them. You have prior le so I would look and see if you could take the state exam and call the fdle to see if your certs can transfer to Florida and save a few thousand while your at it. Just a thought.
Oh that's not good! My first thought was for a transfer as well but unfortunately so much of my training is/was at the local level that it won't transfer.


Is the academy something that can be done while holding a full-time job? Or is it a full-day five day a week type of schedule?
RF7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 00:46   #12
FLglockdude
Senior Member
 
FLglockdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 1,808
I'm not an LEO yet, but I live in Brevard County. The largest agency here is the Sheriff's Office followed by several municipalities, along with the state agencies, FHP and FWC. As far as I know, none of the agencies will sponsor you through the academy. The academy here is through Brevard Community College.

http://www.brevard.cc.fl.us/academic...demy/index.cfm

This gentleman works for one of the agencies in Brevard and I'm sure would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=177466

Good luck with your move!
FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:36   #13
jayfinn
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 11
if you choose Miami-Dade you will have to be proficient in Spanish or Creole in addition to any Academy training.
__________________
Jay
jayfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 20:46   #14
The Fed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 707
I believe Hillsborough County Sheriff is still hiring. Good location on Tampa Bay.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17   #15
krathis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 115
Quote:
Is the academy something that can be done while holding a full-time job? Or is it a full-day five day a week type of schedule?
A lot of academies in FL do full time day and part-time (evenings and weekends).
Two in Orlando are:

Seminole State College

Valencia College

As has been already stated, almost no department will sponsor you through the academy unless you are of a particular type of candidate that the department needs.

Last edited by krathis; 01-26-2013 at 08:19..
krathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05   #16
wolf19r
Problem Solved!
 
wolf19r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: JAX, FL
Posts: 1,598
Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
Quote:
Originally Posted by krathis View Post
A lot of academies in FL do full time day and part-time (evenings and weekends).
Two in Orlando are:

Seminole State College

Valencia College

As has been already stated, almost no department will sponsor you through the academy unless you are of a particular type of candidate that the department needs.
You can do days full time or nights part time. The GTers are an awesome source of info. I went to St. Johns river state college academy and loved it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
GLOCK Certified Armorer
wolf19r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12   #17
Actionmonkey
Senior Member
 
Actionmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 130
The majority of the 13 or so agencies in broward county will pay for you to get certified as the broward police academy only accepts people sponsored with an agency. When I was there 3 years ago we were ranked one of the top in the state because it was treated as a private academy so to speak. There are a few agencies in broward that are hiring now and we are paid in the upper most of the state. My agency is opening up non certified positions again starting next month but you can find many other open spots by checking out all the websites. PM me if you want to know more but I love working here as we have high crime areas, decent areas, the beach, and just any type of police work you'd be interested in doing. Good luck in your search.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"You can only have too many guns and ammo when you are in fire or in water"
Actionmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:29   #18
RF7126
Senior Member
 
RF7126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Western Indiana
Posts: 2,192


Quote:
Originally Posted by krathis View Post
A lot of academies in FL do full time day and part-time (evenings and weekends).
Two in Orlando are:

Seminole State College

Valencia College

As has been already stated, almost no department will sponsor you through the academy unless you are of a particular type of candidate that the department needs.
That's good to hear, I might work on the cert while doing another job as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
I believe Hillsborough County Sheriff is still hiring. Good location on Tampa Bay.
I'm into that as well, thanks. Looks like they do their own academy anyway, which is a plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLglockdude View Post
I'm not an LEO yet, but I live in Brevard County. The largest agency here is the Sheriff's Office followed by several municipalities, along with the state agencies, FHP and FWC. As far as I know, none of the agencies will sponsor you through the academy. The academy here is through Brevard Community College.

http://www.brevard.cc.fl.us/academic...demy/index.cfm

This gentleman works for one of the agencies in Brevard and I'm sure would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/member.php?u=177466

Good luck with your move!
I appreciate it! Yes I emailed a couple of Brevard agencies and received the same response unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfinn View Post
if you choose Miami-Dade you will have to be proficient in Spanish or Creole in addition to any Academy training.
I heard Miami was an experience all its own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf19r View Post
You can do days full time or nights part time. The GTers are an awesome source of info. I went to St. Johns river state college academy and loved it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Absolutely. I hate to admit but I surfed GT my freshman year of college and learned more from GT than in all of my classes combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionmonkey View Post
The majority of the 13 or so agencies in broward county will pay for you to get certified as the broward police academy only accepts people sponsored with an agency. When I was there 3 years ago we were ranked one of the top in the state because it was treated as a private academy so to speak. There are a few agencies in broward that are hiring now and we are paid in the upper most of the state. My agency is opening up non certified positions again starting next month but you can find many other open spots by checking out all the websites. PM me if you want to know more but I love working here as we have high crime areas, decent areas, the beach, and just any type of police work you'd be interested in doing. Good luck in your search.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I actually hadn't looked into Broward until you posted that, I'm glad you did. I didn't realize there were some sponsored spots there, I'm definitely checking into that as well.
RF7126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 20:45   #19
AngryBassets
Jagenden Übel
 
AngryBassets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ: Our fatty governor hates cops.
Posts: 4,509


I looked into Collier County a few years ago (2008?) for consideration of moving there after I retire (which will be in 2015, when I'll be just 43). Seemed like a decent department from what I could find out. I'd only have to attend a 2 week academy.

Probably won't be going anywhere; family and all that.
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 21:06   #20
IGotIt
No Demlibtards
 
IGotIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: On The Edge
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBassets View Post
I looked into Collier County a few years ago (2008?) for consideration of moving there after I retire (which will be in 2015, when I'll be just 43). Seemed like a decent department from what I could find out. I'd only have to attend a 2 week academy.

Probably won't be going anywhere; family and all that.
Look into here for your Fl. cert if you are going in a few years,; http://www.swfpsa.org/
__________________
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew.
IGotIt is online now   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:02.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,090
321 Members
769 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31