Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-19-2013, 15:06   #1
vandros
10mm fan

Would any of you hunt with G29? If so, hunt what, where?

Hi all! I have a g29 and wanna take it hunting. Never done hunting before, but always wanted to. I am thinking perhaps a deer or mountain lion, or something else in the medium-size category.

Would g29 with stock barrel do the job with hot and heavy loads?

Also, which states and which animals are legal to hunt with pistols, like g29?
Old 01-19-2013, 17:37   #2
Jonesee

No, I wouldn't.
I believe in using the correct tool for the job.

Can you? Yes
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 22:49   #3
10 fan
10 fan

Not legal in CA so I carry my G20 when deer hunting.
10 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:25   #4
noway

No I wouldn't but if that's all that you have and you are good shot, know how to effectively take down the so call medium game, and feel that one shot will be effective, by all means use your g29.

A I took a friend hog hunting who used his G29 and one of my BearTooth bullets and he took a smallish florida hog out in Glades county. Now this was an animal bay down by dogs. So his outcome was decent. I used a G20 with 6" barrel and BearTooth bullet.

I myself have learned that even that combo is not adequate on so-called medium game and now use something in the 45colt family.

To each his own, YMMV be safe and plan smartly

Last edited by noway; 01-20-2013 at 01:26..
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 16:42   #5
vandros
10mm fan

Thanks guys! I guess, I wonder if fmj ammo producing 600-700ft/lb of energy is able to deliver a one-shot clean kill - of course, assuming proper shot placement?
Old 01-20-2013, 22:52   #6
Jonesee

I'm not trying to be impolite.
But, you have a lot to learn but hunting.
Find a mentor.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 23:47   #7
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Not legal in CA so I carry my G20 when deer hunting.
G20 with a KKM 6" barrel for deer and feral small hogs and smaller.

G29 would be suitable for smaller game like javelina's in Texas and the SW. Barrel is just too short to generate any usable lethal performance. That is in my CCW stable thoough.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02   #8
vandros
10mm fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
But, you have a lot to learn but hunting.
Yes, you are absolutely right!

Last edited by vandros; 01-21-2013 at 08:05..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01   #9
vandros
10mm fan

I guess I should have checked out this thread before posting - seems like at least one deer was taken w. g29.

But, the sentiment I feel here is that you guys do not think it is a good idea to hunt medium-size animals with a g29-type pistols... What's the major reason for your opposition to the idea: accuracy, low energy of the projectile, or something else? Again, I'm talking about hunting medium size deer, mountain lions, medium-size wild boar, etc. with g29.

Last edited by vandros; 01-24-2013 at 10:02..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36   #10
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

The energy of the 10MM round is just fine, but the G29 is so short that there's no way I'd consider the sights accurate enough to hunt with. It's designed for close up self defense and that's about it. No deer is going to walk up to within 10 feet of you.

To shoot at an animal at longer distances with a G29 would mean you'd be taking what I consider to be wild, unethical shots where you cannot even begin to have enough certainty of doing humane kills. You'd probably just wind up being the bozo who lets a lot of wounded animals get away to die slowly in the brush, and you'd never find them.

Hunting is a game where it's important to use the right tool for the job because otherwise, it's immoral, and is very unlikely to bag you a freezer full of meat anyway, so why do it?

So to answer your last post, it's Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy that is the reason you should only use your G29 for hunting two legged criminals in your house, and not 4 legged animals in the woods.

Also, big cats (and small ones too) can be very hard to kill, don't usually go down quickly, and just generally go nuts when shot. No way I'd shoot one at pistol distances even if I did it with a rifle. I'd much rather it was about 100 yards away so I can stay safe while it spends the last 30 seconds of it's life looking like a tornado of fur and claws. If you'd ever seen it happen, you would not want to risk being anywhere near even a wounded bobcat, and even if it's only going to live for another few seconds. They only need one second to jump on your face slash your neck open.

Pigs though, different story. This country has such a pig problem that it's about the only animal where I'd say I couldn't care less if a wounded pig got away and never got put in the freezer.

Last edited by Brian Lee; 01-24-2013 at 10:54..
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19   #11
vandros
10mm fan

Thanks Brian! Your info makes a lot of sense.
Old 01-24-2013, 14:53   #12
BierGut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
The energy of the 10MM round is just fine, but the G29 is so short that there's no way I'd consider the sights accurate enough to hunt with. It's designed for close up self defense and that's about it. No deer is going to walk up to within 10 feet of you.

To shoot at an animal at longer distances with a G29 would mean you'd be taking what I consider to be wild, unethical shots where you cannot even begin to have enough certainty of doing humane kills. You'd probably just wind up being the bozo who lets a lot of wounded animals get away to die slowly in the brush, and you'd never find them.

Hunting is a game where it's important to use the right tool for the job because otherwise, it's immoral, and is very unlikely to bag you a freezer full of meat anyway, so why do it?

So to answer your last post, it's Accuracy Accuracy Accuracy that is the reason you should only use your G29 for hunting two legged criminals in your house, and not 4 legged animals in the woods.

Also, big cats (and small ones too) can be very hard to kill, don't usually go down quickly, and just generally go nuts when shot. No way I'd shoot one at pistol distances even if I did it with a rifle. I'd much rather it was about 100 yards away so I can stay safe while it spends the last 30 seconds of it's life looking like a tornado of fur and claws. If you'd ever seen it happen, you would not want to risk being anywhere near even a wounded bobcat, and even if it's only going to live for another few seconds. They only need one second to jump on your face slash your neck open.

Pigs though, different story. This country has such a pig problem that it's about the only animal where I'd say I couldn't care less if a wounded pig got away and never got put in the freezer.

There are very few creatures on our planet that are as dangerous as a wounded big cat. All these guys have given you awesome advice... buy yourself a nice rifle.
Safari Club International

BierGut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, g29