GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2013, 23:32   #1
nsl

Lightning hit my PC via ethernet. Advice???

OK, this happened a few weeks back. It got my ATT U-Verse modem, and at first, the PC had problems starting, until it did a self repair.

ATT sends a tech with a new modem, but he then determins that my ethernet port is not "there" as no driver, so he sets me up with a wireless USB rangebooster, and gets me going via my wireless part of my internet package.

Anyway, I've decided this wireless is too slow and inconsistant, and today I tried a new ethernet card in both ports, and it wouldn't work. Took it back and tried and got a USB ethernet adapter, was able to get it going with an update, and it worked great.

Now, I shut the PC down, do a few hours of yardwork, and no green light on my ethernet part of my modem. Try reinstalling the new adapter, etc, then my PC wigs out and has problems starting, does the self repair just like the night it was struck, and now I'm back up and running, but with my wireless again.

Why is my PC not letting me connect to the net via a hardwire? my USB ports work with my wireless booster and my game controller, so I would figure that the USB ethernet adapter would work. Wrong. Is there something in the program that got zapped that won't let any ethernet work?

Some other guys think my PC is screwed, and need to get another. What do you think? If so, recommend me a good laptop. Nothing fancy, just one that doesn't have problems, as I just use my PC's to surf the net anyway. I want to clean up this clutter.
nsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 23:49   #2
Detectorist

I am not even going to try to diagnose your problem here.

Just so you know, most homeowners insurance will cover lightning strike damage.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:12   #3
bobby_w
Platinum Membership
Alienigena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I am not even going to try to diagnose your problem here.

Just so you know, most homeowners insurance will cover lightning strike damage.
Maybe.

Mine had a $3000 deductable for lightning strike.
bobby_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:24   #4
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
Honestly, my iPad does almost all of my web browsing. About the only time it doesn't is when I'm researching and word processing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
Honestly, my iPad does almost all of my web browsing. About the only time it doesn't is when I'm researching and word processing.
Well, that was sure helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl View Post
OK, this happened a few weeks back. It got my ATT U-Verse modem, and at first, the PC had problems starting, until it did a self repair.

ATT sends a tech with a new modem, but he then determins that my ethernet port is not "there" as no driver, so he sets me up with a wireless USB rangebooster, and gets me going via my wireless part of my internet package.

Anyway, I've decided this wireless is too slow and inconsistant, and today I tried a new ethernet card in both ports, and it wouldn't work. Took it back and tried and got a USB ethernet adapter, was able to get it going with an update, and it worked great.

Now, I shut the PC down, do a few hours of yardwork, and no green light on my ethernet part of my modem. Try reinstalling the new adapter, etc, then my PC wigs out and has problems starting, does the self repair just like the night it was struck, and now I'm back up and running, but with my wireless again.

Why is my PC not letting me connect to the net via a hardwire? my USB ports work with my wireless booster and my game controller, so I would figure that the USB ethernet adapter would work. Wrong. Is there something in the program that got zapped that won't let any ethernet work?

Some other guys think my PC is screwed, and need to get another. What do you think? If so, recommend me a good laptop. Nothing fancy, just one that doesn't have problems, as I just use my PC's to surf the net anyway. I want to clean up this clutter.
I'm not sure the PC is screwed... but it might be having some hardware issues (from the strike) that is causing software to behave abnormally.

The one time I had the situation happen that you describe... I was able to install an ethernet card, and the PC was fine (it's actually still in use today, 10yrs later..lol)

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:52   #6
NecoDude

I've diagnosed multiple PC's after lightning strikes. If you are encountering issues, best advice is to replace it. Only way to fully isolate the fault is to take it to someone who has the appropriate test equipment. You can smoke a chip even just a little and it will have intermittent issues for life.
Old 01-11-2013, 16:40   #7
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecoDude View Post
I've diagnosed multiple PC's after lightning strikes. If you are encountering issues, best advice is to replace it. Only way to fully isolate the fault is to take it to someone who has the appropriate test equipment. You can smoke a chip even just a little and it will have intermittent issues for life.
Agreed.

It wasn't clear in your post that the Modem WAS replaced, but regardless the system is in a 'suspect' state after such an event.

If it fried the modem, and the ethernet went into your system... Chances are pretty good you have latent issues that will happen as soon as temperatures start rising in the spring.

Get your data backed up, and do a nice thing for an Anti-Gun person...

"Hey, I just got a new PC, so I am giving you my old one!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Download YOUR copy of

My Gift to You, AND it's >FREE<
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:38   #8
Atlas
transmogrifier

A friend has his cable termination in a box outside.
He uses a 10-base T - to - fiber converter there to pass the signal indoors.

Fiber-optic line into the house cannot conduct lightning.
His gear is protected.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 19:08   #9
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I do some tech work and I usually just install an internal network card in and open slot and everything is good. You might have other issues.

Did you have a router in between your modem and computer? If so they usually take the hit and keep your computer from taking a strike from the modem cable. (suggestion if you didn't because they are easier to replace) Also some decent UPS boxes have network surge suppression which would connect in at the first possible point.
Old 01-16-2013, 20:26   #10
Lord

try this... open your services... click on start, then run (if not there, simply hit winkey+r) and in the run box type in services.msc and hit enter.

In the services list, find "Home Group listener" and "Home Group Provider"

Disable both, and make sure both are stopped.

restart computer. then shut down computer and install ethernet nic, and restart computer. Go into the network settings either via control panel, or right click on the icon in the systray and select open network and sharing center. make sure the nic is listed and not disabled. if not listed, go into devices. To do this, right click my computer and get properties. from there go into device manager and find the device and re-install the drivers. let me know how this works for you
Old 01-17-2013, 19:07   #11
Drjones

Send a message via AIM to Drjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre! View Post
Get your data backed up, and do a nice thing for an Anti-Gun person...

"Hey, I just got a new PC, so I am giving you my old one!"

Old 01-17-2013, 19:12   #12
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck

Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Surge protectors are dirt cheap compared to computers, tv's and other electronics!!
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 19:39   #13
WebSnyper

Might want to confirm that the old ethernet port is not showing up as a network connection intermittently and causing issues. If it is showing up as a network connection, then disable it.

Also, are you sure that you are only connected via wireless now? If you go into task manager and then to networking do you see only one connection or both?

When you say wireless booster, I'm assuming that is a wireless network adapter that you have connected via USB? Do you have that and the ethernet USB adapter connected at the same time? Are you using a USB hub or connecting the network adapters directly into your USB ports?
WebSnyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 21:01   #14
gTWO

My lightning hit destroyed the cable modem and the wireless circuitry.

A new network card fixed it...
gTWO is offline   Reply With Quote