Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 21:31   #101
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesRevenge View Post
Just because there is video evidence of a shotgun being removed from the car, does not mean the Bushmaster was not also in the car.
It was in the car, just earlier. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 01-19-2013, 21:41   #102
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

How stupid is the person that wrote up that "clarification"?

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
Old 01-19-2013, 22:29   #103
Shinytop

My unit in Vietnam had M14's and then M16's were issued. I know because I helped inventory the new weapons serial number by serial number. They were issued with 20 round magazines although 30 round magazines became common by the time I went on my second tour.

Last edited by Shinytop; 01-19-2013 at 22:30..
Old 01-19-2013, 23:11   #104
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Engine vs. motor. Propellor vs. screw. HH
Truth vs. Falsehood. Opinion vs. Fact.

Last edited by eyelikeglasses; 01-19-2013 at 23:12..
Old 01-19-2013, 23:23   #105
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelikeglasses View Post

Truth vs. Falsehood. Opinion vs. Fact.
What powers the vehicles built by the Ford Motor Company, Inc.? HH

Old 01-19-2013, 23:26   #106
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
What powers the vehicles built by the Ford Motor Company, Inc.? HH
What was in your head before it became hollow?

Propaganda by any other name is still..... wait for it......wait for it..... wait..... Propaganda!!
Old 01-19-2013, 23:32   #107
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
...about to lose our a**es here and nitwits are debating verbage.
Ain't that the truth, as if the terminology of clip or magazine will make a ounce of difference in this upcoming public debate on a possible new AWB.

Last edited by Ruggles; 01-19-2013 at 23:33..
Old 01-19-2013, 23:44   #108
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Ain't that the truth, as if the terminology of clip or magazine will make a ounce of difference in this upcoming public debate on a possible new AWB.
The opposition is using every trick to coerce public opinion.

Try to be familiar with your enemies' tactics. Including... wait for it.... the good old divide and conquer.

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited by eyelikeglasses; 01-19-2013 at 23:46..
Old 01-19-2013, 23:47   #109
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Very well said. HH

Old 01-19-2013, 23:49   #110
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Quote:
Very well said. HH
Thank you.
Old 01-19-2013, 23:54   #111
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Thank you.
I was quoting Ruggles. Your post was idiotic. HH

Old 01-20-2013, 00:19   #112
Ruggles

Quote:
The opposition is using every trick to coerce public opinion.

Try to be familiar with your enemies' tactics. Including... wait for it.... the good old divide and conquer.

Here endeth the lesson.
?

How is this trying to divide and conquer? It a interchangeable term pure and simple that has no bearing on the upcoming public debate.

The term "assault rifle" vs "modern sporting rifle" could be said to have leverage in the debate. Even maybe "high capacity" vs "standard capacity" in reference to a magazine could.

But 30 round "magazine" vs 30 round "clip" means nothing in the debate.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31   #113
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Why would the Bushmaster be mentioned with the "high capacity 30 round clips" and nothing about the pistols or shotgun magazines????

Something fishy here......
The Okie Corral
Old 01-20-2013, 03:35   #114
Bren
NRA Life Member

Here's a hint - the surest way to tell you are no longer a gun newb, is that when somebody calls a magazine a "clip" you won't even be tempted to correct them - the "ha ha you said 'clip'" thing is the surest mark of the newb who has learned a little and is eager to show it off.

Last edited by Bren; 01-20-2013 at 03:35..
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18   #115
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Here's a hint - the surest way to tell you are no longer a gun newb, is that when somebody calls a magazine a "clip" you won't even be tempted to correct them - the "ha ha you said 'clip'" thing is the surest mark of the newb who has learned a little and is eager to show it off.
Interesting theory...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51   #116
DanaT
Pharaoh

So let me understand this??

"We" are up in arms because "clip" and "magazine" are being used interchangeably, but not upset that "assault rifle" is being used incorrectly.

And assault rifle is a select fire weapon which allows automatic firing and an intermediate cartridge. It occupies the position between a submachine gun and a light machine gun (i.e M249) and/or battle rifle (i.e. FN-FAL / G3).

We have alread lost the fight because clip and magazine are both "neutral" and we are letting them bog us down in this definition squabble and allowing them to re-define assault rifle.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09   #117
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
So let me understand this??

"We" are up in arms because "clip" and "magazine" are being used interchangeably, but not upset that "assault rifle" is being used incorrectly.

And assault rifle is a select fire weapon which allows automatic firing and an intermediate cartridge. It occupies the position between a submachine gun and a light machine gun (i.e M249) and/or battle rifle (i.e. FN-FAL / G3).

We have alread lost the fight because clip and magazine are both "neutral" and we are letting them bog us down in this definition squabble and allowing them to re-define assault rifle.
Yes, but still the definition of an assault rifle, well, here from another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
You are telling this to a bunch of guys here who still refer to an "assault weapon" to a fully automatic or select fire machine gun.?

The weapon does not become an " assault" item until it is fully intended for that purpose. To ASSAULT someone. Otherwise, is either a military weapon ( military fully automatic machine gun) or a semi-automatic rifle (civilian military "look-a-like). The AR-15 used at Colorado, became an assault weapon in the hands of that crazy guy. My Inanimate AR-15 at home is still a semi-automatic rifle.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:23   #118
M&P15T
Beard One

Quote:
Or....it's someone that is interested in using correct terminology. Just because incorrect term useage becomes somewhat of a norm, does't make it the correct useage, doesn't stop it from being incorrect. And just because someone corrects others when they use incorrect terminology, doesn't make them a noob.

Anywhoo....that press release is pure politically correct garbage, tailored for the gun-grabbers. It's the continuing effort to demonize standard capacity magazines as something they're not.

That is reason enough to continue to correct people when they use incorrect terms like "high-capacity assault clip". It's stopping the deominatization of inanimate ojects for political gain through the deliberate use of incorrect terminology.

There are people that work on the hill that write speeches and press-releases, that are educated in psychology and sociology. Their entire goal is to use terms and words in manners that evoke strong emotional reactions. They do not care if those terms and words are used correctly, they only care about the emotional reaction they create. And this tactic works. It works damn well.

So, we now have incorrect terms like "high-capacity assault clips". And we sit here arguing whether or not we should bother correcting people when they use those terms.

Of course we should.

Last edited by M&P15T; 01-20-2013 at 05:32..
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38   #119
Bren
NRA Life Member

Also, when you post about how newbs are the only people who really care about the "clip vs magazine" debate, it upsets the newbs, who feel compelled to explain why they are right.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56   #120
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Also, when you post about how newbs are the only people who really care about the "clip vs magazine" debate, it upsets the newbs, who feel compelled to explain why they are right.

I find it odd that a press release from a police dept which is at the center of a massacre of K-1 grade aged children in a school setting, in what is one of the "wealthiest" states in the nation, in what is THE MOST VISIBLE shooting in the USA for the past 10 years, in what is probably the most pivotal and divisive shooting as it applies to gun rights (or as the left would like to happen - GUN ERADICATION/GUN CONTROL)

that such a report, known in advance will be microscopically dissected, analyzed, regurgitated and rehashed...

that such a report includes slanted language as it applies to gun terminology. I am not a cop, but I am in a field where I may be called upon to testify for my actions, or for those who report to me, and in my learnings to best prepare for this, we are taught to chose conciseness and accuracy in our prose.

Yes, the report is directly from the PD involved. It is a shame to see that no one in the chain of command that read that report chose to correct inaccuracies in the vernacular.

Do I smell a conspiracy? No. Do I see sloppiness? Yes.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59   #121
Bruce M

Why is that "magazine vs. clip" is a big deal, but (almost) no one seems to suggest that there is no difference in correctness between a "slide" and a "Glock upper?"
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40   #122
RussP

Since I doubt any of you addressed your issues with CSP...

Quote:
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 9:36 AM
To: 'DESPP.Feedback@ct.gov'
Subject: Attn: Lt. J. Paul Vance - Press Release dated January 18, 2013

First, all of you in LE involved in the Sandy Hook case have been in our prayers every single day. Thank you for enduring what you have. Yeah, you're just doing your job, but it's a job few people want to do, fewer are qualified to do, even fewer attempt to do, and even fewer do it well.

I moderate part of a forum called glocktalk.com. Sandy Hook is an active topic in several of our sub-forums, Political Issues, Gun Control, Cop Talk and our General forum.

I posted your release on Saturday to quell the rumor mills about the firearms believing it would calm things down.

Unbelievably, a huge uproar began. Why? Two items.

1. "...high capacity 30 round..."

2. "...clips"

Many believe the proper nomenclature for the 30-rnd capacity should be "standard", not "high". High would be a capacity above 30, such as the 60-rnd mags and 100-rnd drums.

Then there is "clips". The AR platform uses magazines. Rifles like a Garand use the clips. Yes, thanks to the media, and politicians, the public identifies either as "what holds bullets." Most of us familiar with different platforms are use to the misuse. One of our members said that the true tell of a firearms noobie is that they get their panties in a wad over the use of clips instead of mags.

If you have any interest in reading the thread, it is here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465954

Again, thank you for all you do.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:52   #123
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"Or....it's someone that is interested in using correct terminology."

I would say it's someone that is interested in making other people use that terminology.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33   #124
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Absolutely.

But what we have here is different. A State Police Agency calls a magazine "clips" in an official press release regarding an emotionally charged case with nationwide attention. And they choose to include an unneccessary descriptor, "high capacity".

No one cares whether or not an investigator calls a magazine a clip or not. But everybody should care about the other point. A HIGH CAPACITY something was now officially used to kill those children in that shcool. This is going to be used against us in every argument from here on out. Those evil HIGH CAPACITY magazines. And there was apparently more than one. Apparently, as the plural clips was used without giving a number.

They chose to use the subjective term "high capacity" when a 30 round magazine is standard for AR rifles. It would have been simpler and more to the point to merely state "30 round clips". Wonder what their reasoning was there. Or were they just unfamiliar with that type of rifle.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.

Last edited by skorper; 01-20-2013 at 10:14..
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39   #125
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
"Or....it's someone that is interested in using correct terminology."

I would say it's someone that is interested in making other people use that terminology.
I think there are more important things to worry about. When you correct an anti about clip vs magazine, you will look arrogant and will waste your time correcting them on it instead of seeing the bigger picture, which is why they don't need to be limited to 7 or 10 rounds to begin with.