Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 16:37   #51
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Engine vs. motor. Propellor vs. screw. HH
Motor is Electric.....Engine is Combustion.

Propeller is a Boat......Screw is a Ship.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:45   #52
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
Clips.....there's some good Investigating for ya....Homers.
For those wishing to challenge or correct or call bull **** on the content of the press release, here is the email for the agency: DESPP.Feedback@ct.gov.

I am certain they will appreciate your input.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 01-19-2013, 16:46   #53
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I have dibs on those Bushmaster clips! - Irresputible proof this was not actually from an actual LE agency.

Nice try Russ!! Did they stage the moon landing in yer back yard??? huh? huh?

Signed,
PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTracker View Post
Using "slang" descriptions in an official police statement does not bode well for the department or their professionalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
"Clips"? Really? Who wrote that?

I am also extremely surprised with the descriptors they used. "High capacity 30 round clips"? Someone is injecting their personal opinion there. NOT a good thing when it will be headed to court. Thirty round magazines are STANDARD for any AR type rifle. MAYBE if there was a 40 rounder the "high capacity" bullcrap might apply, and that's big maybe. It says "clips" in the plural when there is no mention of the number. Not a good idea for a press release.
Quote:
I believe there are a lot of LEO that read and post here on GNG. I would like to ask them a question.

Do you know of, or work with, fellow officers who use "slang/inaccurate" terms in police reports or other official documents?

Describing a magazine as a "clip" is factually inaccurate and implies ignorance or contempt for their duty to accurately and precisely define said item(s) in the report.
This was a press release and not an official police report. And in a rather large world out there outside of Glock Talk the words "magazine" and "clip" are used somewhat interchangeably by people, especially by those in the media. And bizarre as it seems, either word seems to convey an adequate meaning to the reader or listener. That said, I would encourage anyone here who believes that the press release is inaccurate, ignorant, or unprofessional to both contact Lt. Vance, and to immediately send their resume to Commissioner Bradford and to Colonel Stebbins along with, perhaps, a cover letter explaining how you could perform the PIO job in a far superior manner thereby establishing a much better working relationship with the press and media.

But if it helps you to rest easier, I would bet that somewhere in the thousands of pages there is a property receipt/crime scene document which describes the device as a magazine rather than a clip.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:52   #54
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
I believe Patchman was being sarcastic...After having read all of his other posts on this topic, that's how I read it.
Russ, I was not being being sarcastic about returning to Libya.

Nor was I being sarcastic about the mother purchasing a gun in a private sale. From what I understood, she had no issues with money, so she would have no issues with purchasing an item (whether car, TV, toaster oven or whatever) from a dealer, for the protections (not getting robbed in a parking lot, getting a defective product, a good warranty the manufacturer would honor, return policy etc...) it provided.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-19-2013 at 16:54..
Old 01-19-2013, 16:52   #55
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
For those wishing to challenge or correct or call bull **** on the content of the press release, here is the email for the agency: DESPP.Feedback@ct.gov.

I am certain they will appreciate your input.
Not saying the report is false.....just saying State Police should not be as uninformed as stupid Politicians and the uneducated News Media. Magazine and Clip are not the same and neither are their definitions.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:53   #56
Ruggles

Magazine or clip, does not mean a thing at the end of the day to the overall debate. That water is way under the bridge as simply does not matter anymore IMO.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:58   #57
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
And in a rather large world out there outside of Glock Talk the words "magazine" and "clip" are used somewhat interchangeably by people, especially by those in the media. And bizarre as it seems, either word seems to convey an adequate meaning to the reader or listener.
So common Webster has defined it as such.

Quote:
clip - noun
Definition of CLIP
1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
3: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip
Old 01-19-2013, 17:02   #58
G23c

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Strange... I don't consider 30 rounds High capacity... Am I Nutz?
I'm with you. thats "standard capacity", the 10-round are "limited capacity". I'd consider the big beta drums to be high capacity.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:02   #59
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Did you go to the website, or are you just talking to hear yourself.

Please don't let your desire to slam either Gallium or Peace Warrior obfuscate what is a clear presentation of a full three courses of sarcasm.

I might suggest you read the entirety of what I have posted again. It's like the arrow in the word Fed Ex.Sometimes we have to shade it, and draw a big circle around it.

The Okie Corral

On topic, when we get the ME's report of GSWs - and it will only cement what we already know - AR15/.223 killed those victims, shooter offed himself with a handgun.
Attached Thumbnails
The Okie Corral - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Gallium; 01-19-2013 at 17:02..
Old 01-19-2013, 17:06   #60
gommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
So common Webster has defined it as such.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip
Yaup, we can hate it all we want but when a word is used wrong enough for a long enough period -- it becomes true.

I thought my old boss was going to have a coronary when they added irregardless to the dictionary.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:08   #61
roger123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
Propeller is a Boat......Screw is a Ship.
LOL, beat me to this!
Old 01-19-2013, 17:11   #62
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
Obviously because the Libyans and Russians knew you would blow the lid off that whole "Moon Landing Hoax" thing LOL.
I don't know whether either one knew where this patch of desert I played in was. And the moon landing occurred when king Idris was still in power. And Guddafi was a lieutenant serving at some 2 mule town along the coast.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:27   #63
skorper
harborrat

Quote:

This was a press release and not an official police report. And in a rather large world out there outside of Glock Talk the words "magazine" and "clip" are used somewhat interchangeably by people, especially by those in the media. And bizarre as it seems, either word seems to convey an adequate meaning to the reader or listener. That said, I would encourage anyone here who believes that the press release is inaccurate, ignorant, or unprofessional to both contact Lt. Vance, and to immediately send their resume to Commissioner Bradford and to Colonel Stebbins along with, perhaps, a cover letter explaining how you could perform the PIO job in a far superior manner thereby establishing a much better working relationship with the press and media.

But if it helps you to rest easier, I would bet that somewhere in the thousands of pages there is a property receipt/crime scene document which describes the device as a magazine rather than a clip.
Of course this is not a police report. It is a press release. Big difference, and it needs to be pointed out.

As to the part about the property receipt/crime scene document describing it (them) as a magazine, I wouldn't be so sure. You should see some of the ways things get labeled when submitted into evidence.

What's done is done. The absolute worst thing you can do if trying to placate interested parties (or conspiracy theorists) is to change or re-do any public piece of information. No need to try to lobby any supervisors now. Perhaps the supervisor giving the OK to this release was not a gun guy and all magazines are "clips" to him. Perhaps the term "Clips" was used on purpose, thinking it might be a more familiar term to the general public. Perhaps some specific questions were directed to the agency from the press regarding whether or not "High Capacity" somethings were used, and this was included to address those inquiries directly. Who knows?

"Who knows" is not the hallmark result of a good press release from a law enforcement agency.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:31   #64
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Engine vs. motor. Propellor vs. screw. HH
Not exactly. To be a bit more precise.

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.

When I am paid to write a report, the accuracy of my assessments and the precision with which the issue is addressed is paramount to the quality of the document.

Yeah, there is a difference between a screw and a propeller but that is more than I want to get into.

The statement from the PD is clearly in error. I asked LEO's if this type of reporting is acceptable and/or commonplace.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin
Old 01-19-2013, 17:35   #65
skorper
harborrat

Quote:

Of course this is not a police report. It is a press release. Big difference, and it needs to be pointed out.

As to the part about the property receipt/crime scene document describing it (them) as a magazine, I wouldn't be so sure. You should see some of the ways things get labeled when submitted into evidence.

What's done is done. The absolute worst thing you can do if trying to placate interested parties (or conspiracy theorists) is to change or re-do any public piece of information. No need to try to lobby any supervisors now. Perhaps the supervisor giving the OK to this release was not a gun guy and all magazines are "clips" to him. Perhaps the term "Clips" was used on purpose, thinking it might be a more familiar term to the general public. Perhaps some specific questions were directed to the agency from the press regarding whether or not "High Capacity" somethings were used, and this was included to address those inquiries directly. Who knows?

"Who knows" is not the hallmark result of a good press release from a law enforcement agency.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:46   #66
Walter Bishop

When you watch the video of the police pulling the long gun out of the car trunk it is obviously not an AR. You can see the officer pulling back on the bolt handle which is on the side. The charging handle on an AR is on the rear.
Old 01-19-2013, 17:54   #67
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by gommer View Post
Yaup, we can hate it all we want but when a word is used wrong enough for a long enough period -- it becomes true.

I thought my old boss was going to have a coronary when they added irregardless to the dictionary.
Agreed gommer! Colloquialisms are not professional.

Magazines are not clips and clips are not magazines.

I have searched my Oxford American College Dictionary, yeah that 1600 page plus paper one that people used to keep on the shelf, and it doesn't equate a clip to a magazine.

I only have one actual paper dictionary but searching five other internet "dictionary's" I couldn't find another to agree with the free internet edition of the Myriam Webster Dictionary definition of "clip".

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin

Last edited by EdTracker; 01-19-2013 at 17:56..
Old 01-19-2013, 17:59   #68
countrygun

Oh you folks with the linguistic fetishes, Hhahhaha I could tell you about the time a police 'spokesman" got flustered and mixed up the words "perpetrator" and "penetrator"
Old 01-19-2013, 17:59   #69
Front Sight
Front Sight

Dragon44
I have always thought that the sound came from the grassy knoll. The final shot came from the storm sewer in front of the grassey knoll.
SAF
BIG DAWG #821
Old 01-19-2013, 18:05   #70
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
In police reports it all depends on the context, but slang GENERALLY should not be used. Using a term such as "High Capacity" as a descriptor is an opinion, except in the case where "High Capacity" is defined by law or by nomenclature pertaining to the weapon at hand. And the use of the term "clip" is obviously just a misunderstanding of what a clip is, as opposed to a removable magazine. This should have been caught and corrected by a supervisor before official release. "Clips" in the plural opens up a can of worms on it's own. It could be surmised that they have a specific reason for using the plural without revealing how many there were.
Maybe they are going by the dictionary definition and not the gun nut definition.

clip noun
Definition of CLIP

: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm
: a piece of jewelry held in position by a clip
Old 01-19-2013, 18:06   #71
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

I'm going to have to get my eyes checked. I very plainly saw a tactical carbine removed from the trunk of Lanza's car. (Yes, I know the difference between a tactical carbine, and an Izhmash shotgun.) Something really stinks about this one!
Old 01-19-2013, 18:07   #72
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Oh you folks with the linguistic fetishes, Hhahhaha I could tell you about the time a police 'spokesman" got flustered and mixed up the words "perpetrator" and "penetrator"
Did you hear bout the newspaper article that described Lt McMurphey as "A Defective on the Police Force"? He demanded a retraction. The next day the newspaper admitted their mistake and printed a correction, which described Lt Mc Murphey as "A Detective on the Police Farce".

Last edited by skorper; 01-19-2013 at 18:17..
Old 01-19-2013, 18:08   #73
G36's Rule

Quote:
Agreed gommer! Colloquialisms are not professional.

Magazines are not clips and clips are not magazines.

I have searched my Oxford American College Dictionary, yeah that 1600 page plus paper one that people used to keep on the shelf, and it doesn't equate a clip to a magazine.

I only have one actual paper dictionary but searching five other internet "dictionary's" I couldn't find another to agree with the free internet edition of the Myriam Webster Dictionary definition of "clip".
Funny, because my Websters Unabridged Dictionary shows "Clip" second definition see "cartridge clip" and that gives the definition we all call a magazine. Copyright 1994

They are the same thing in most peoples minds. In fact, the first I've ever heard of this nonsense of getting all righteous over one being one thing or other is on the internets.

Nobody in reality gives a poop one way or the other.
Old 01-19-2013, 18:09   #74
ray9898

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
I'm going to have to get my eyes checked. I very plainly saw a tactical carbine removed from the trunk of Lanza's car. (Yes, I know the difference between a tactical carbine, and an Izhmash shotgun.) Something really stinks about this one!
You better get them checked then, it is clearly not an AR.
Old 01-19-2013, 18:11   #75
G36's Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Yep, better get the peepers checked out. Cuz you didn't see that.
Closed Thread