Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 15:46   #26
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Nope, not what Neil described to me, not at all.
Oh please, there is a big difference between Armstrong telling you about the moon landing and Armstrong mooning you.

Old 01-19-2013, 15:50   #27
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

I believe there are a lot of LEO that read and post here on GNG. I would like to ask them a question.

Do you know of, or work with, fellow officers who use "slang/inaccurate" terms in police reports or other official documents?

Describing a magazine as a "clip" is factually inaccurate and implies ignorance or contempt for their duty to accurately and precisely define said item(s) in the report.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin
Old 01-19-2013, 15:51   #28
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Strange... I don't consider 30 rounds High capacity... Am I Nutz?
Probably.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:00   #29
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Is there a record that either the mother, or the shooter, purchased such a weapon?

I smell conspiracy!!!
What if she bought it at a gun show from a private seller. Would there be a record? Have they released a record of where and how the other recovered guns were purchased? If not, is there some reason they should before the investigation is complete? Who all are in on this conspiracy that is bouncing around in your mind- the Reptilians or Bigfoot?
Old 01-19-2013, 16:01   #30
ray9898

This still won't be clear enough for some.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:05   #31
cesaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Something fishy here......
because "assault rifles" are what they are attacking at the moment...not pistols or shotguns

they have to demonize one thing at a time to get the most effect.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:08   #32
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
"Clips"? Really? Who wrote that?

I am also extremely surprised with the descriptors they used. "High capacity 30 round clips"? Someone is injecting their personal opinion there. NOT a good thing when it will be headed to court. Thirty round magazines are STANDARD for any AR type rifle. MAYBE if there was a 40 rounder the "high capacity" bullcrap might apply, and that's big maybe. It says "clips" in the plural when there is no mention of the number. Not a good idea for a press release.
Maybe they are just using the term as defined in the expired Federal Assault Weapon ban where "high capacity" magazines were defined by law. Even though the law is no longer in affect it wouldn't be surprising for some non gun-expert law enforcement people to use that term

"The Act also defined and banned 'large capacity ammunition feeding devices', which generally applied to magazines or other ammunition feeding devices with capacities of greater than a certain number of rounds, and that up to the time of the Act were considered normal or factory magazines. Media and popular culture referred to these as 'high capacity magazines or feeding devices'. Depending on the locality and type of firearm, the cutoff between a 'normal' capacity and 'high' capacity magazine was 3, 7, 10, 12, 15, or 20 rounds. The now defunct federal ban set the limit at 10 rounds."

Parsing the meaning of these press releases where the intent of what they are releasing is obvious seems like a gigantic waste of time.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:09   #33
skorper
harborrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTracker View Post
I believe there are a lot of LEO that read and post here on GNG. I would like to ask them a question.

Do you know of, or work with, fellow officers who use "slang/inaccurate" terms in police reports or other official documents?

Describing a magazine as a "clip" is factually inaccurate and implies ignorance or contempt for their duty to accurately and precisely define said item(s) in the report.
In police reports it all depends on the context, but slang GENERALLY should not be used. Using a term such as "High Capacity" as a descriptor is an opinion, except in the case where "High Capacity" is defined by law or by nomenclature pertaining to the weapon at hand. And the use of the term "clip" is obviously just a misunderstanding of what a clip is, as opposed to a removable magazine. This should have been caught and corrected by a supervisor before official release. "Clips" in the plural opens up a can of worms on it's own. It could be surmised that they have a specific reason for using the plural without revealing how many there were.

I've seen the quiet dead; and I've heard the living moan. This world's no place to live in, but it's home.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:13   #34
czsmithGT

Quote:
Then the following year Libya became inaccessable to the rest of the world until this year (43 years later)...
No Libya was not inaccessible to the rest of the world. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
Old 01-19-2013, 16:14   #35
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Why would the Bushmaster be mentioned with the "high capacity 30 round clips" and nothing about the pistols or shotgun magazines????

Something fishy here......
The average American Woman has 2.36 children. If a woman had 4 children does she have a High Capacity Uterus?

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
Old 01-19-2013, 16:21   #36
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsoftpaw View Post
The average American Woman has 2.36 children. If a woman had 4 children does she have a High Capacity Uterus?
Only if all the kids were in there at the same time.......

Old 01-19-2013, 16:21   #37
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray9898 View Post
This still won't be clear enough for some.
True...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 01-19-2013, 16:21   #38
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Like the guy said, every thirty seconds a woman gives birth in NYC.

We need to find this woman and stop her!

Old 01-19-2013, 16:23   #39
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
What if she bought it at a gun show from a private seller. Would there be a record? Have they released a record of where and how the other recovered guns were purchased? If not, is there some reason they should before the investigation is complete? Who all are in on this conspiracy that is bouncing around in your mind- the Reptilians or Bigfoot?
Only thing is, she doesn't seem like the type of person who would do a private purchase. She was a single/divorced woman who didn't have money issues. So if she bought something, she would be someone who wanted a warranty to back up her purchase.

Whether she bought a car, a TV, a toaster or a gun, it would be through a dealer, so there would be a warranty attached.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-19-2013 at 16:33..
Old 01-19-2013, 16:24   #40
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
Oh please, there is a big difference between Armstrong telling you about the moon landing and Armstrong mooning you.

Probably...

Old 01-19-2013, 16:26   #41
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
No Libya was not inaccessible to the rest of the world. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?
You're right. Only inaccessible to the wrong half of the world. I for one, was not allowed to return there. And believe it or not, my family was neighbors to Gaddafy's second wife's family. Still a no-go.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-19-2013 at 16:31..
Old 01-19-2013, 16:28   #42
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Everythings a conspiracy, no wonder people think gun owners are nuts. As unfortunate as the whole situation is, a lot of kids were killed, and the guy used an AR. While I can understand people are pissed about innocent kids being murdered, I can't understand the conspiracy BS from people here. Some of you are really making sane, well grounded gun owners, look like complete idiots.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
Old 01-19-2013, 16:29   #43
cesaros

Quote:
There would definitely be something fishy goin on with that uterus...

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:29   #44
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTracker View Post

Engine vs. motor. Propellor vs. screw. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:29   #45
czsmithGT

Quote:
You're right. Only inaccessible to the wrong half of the world. I for one, was not allowed to return there.
Obviously because the Libyans and Russians knew you would blow the lid off that whole "Moon Landing Hoax" thing LOL.
Old 01-19-2013, 16:30   #46
czsmithGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
Everythings a conspiracy, no wonder people think gun owners are nuts.
This!!
Old 01-19-2013, 16:30   #47
jdavionic
NRA Member

Is there a "normal" period of time for investigations to be completed? In this case, they are not working to present the case to a grand jury, etc.

Just curious. With the press doing such a terrible job in their rush to get the story aired (versus being accurate), the reports are very contradictory...which is what I'd expect. But I was wondering whether the facts from the investigators will take 6 months, a year, etc to put together and make public.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
Old 01-19-2013, 16:31   #48
RussP

Quote:
I believe Patchman was being sarcastic...After having read all of his other posts on this topic, that's how I read it.

Old 01-19-2013, 16:32   #49
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavionic View Post
Is there a "normal" period of time for investigations to be completed? In this case, they are not working to present the case to a grand jury, etc.

Just curious. With the press doing such a terrible job in their rush to get the story aired (versus being accurate), the reports are very contradictory...which is what I'd expect. But I was wondering whether the facts from the investigators will take 6 months, a year, etc to put together and make public.
They have said that it will be completed mid-March.

Old 01-19-2013, 16:34   #50
mgs
Always Carrying

Clips.....there's some good Investigating for ya....Homers.
Closed Thread