Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2013, 00:00   #101
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
My testimony was responsible for sending two Airman to military prison for dereliction of duty when I was Active Duty, does that count?

Shouldn't veterans have the same "extra rights"?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
No, and your strawman apples to oranges bull**** is getting old.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22   #102
98LS-WON

How many officers are willing to cite someone for violating the 7 round limit? I'd ask any NYPD to take a stand to not enforce it unless it's tacked on to another valid offense that has already been committed. What are the chances of that happening?
98LS-WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29   #103
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LS-WON View Post
How many officers are willing to cite someone for violating the 7 round limit? I'd ask any NYPD to take a stand to not enforce it unless it's tacked on to another valid offense that has already been committed. What are the chances of that happening?
That's not the point, and it's really unfair for anyone (LE or non-sworn citizen) to expect an officer to risk formal reprimand for a poorly thought out law which is nothing more than political grandstanding. This might be the single stupidest law I've heard of to date, and they managed to ramrod it through on thr backs of slain children, which sickens me far more than anything else they've done.

As for Clyde, since you keep going on about doctors and surgeons, I pose this question to you: why should a doctor or surgeon with MD plates on their personal vehicle be allowed to stop, stand and park regardless of the posted ordnances and laws, as some states allow them to do? They're just like you and me, right? Heck, I've taken basic first aid, so I should be allowed to park my personal vehicle wherever I choose as well, wouldn't you say?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09   #104
BLACK Z

Say we disregard the new law and keep 10 or 15 rounds or what ever in out mag's, say we need to act and we fire 10 plus rounds now what, we saved livves but our also broken the law.

I read in some of the links above that they are going to add a exemption for active and retired LE, so I assume that will mean that well be able to keep our Hi Caps and ten round mags, I am hoping for all of our guns and not just our duty/back up.

I really do like living in NY state, yes I moved out of NYC and the LI area and live in farm Country on my own hobby farm, But I hate BS like this and the I can't forget the taxes.
BUSHMASTER M4 CQB SOP SLING.
RRA PRO SERIES GOVERNMENT AR-15
BLACK Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17   #105
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMLET View Post
You either dont get it or you just like to troll cops. ...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I think even just in this thread there is more than ample evidence that it is both. And if one examines past history... well never mind.

Hopefully the legislature can rethink at least some of this.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28   #106
Ducowti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK Z View Post
Say we disregard the new law and keep 10 or 15 rounds or what ever in out mag's, say we need to act and we fire 10 plus rounds now what, we saved livves but our also broken the law.

I read in some of the links above that they are going to add a exemption for active and retired LE, so I assume that will mean that well be able to keep our Hi Caps and ten round mags, I am hoping for all of our guns and not just our duty/back up.

I really do like living in NY state, yes I moved out of NYC and the LI area and live in farm Country on my own hobby farm, But I hate BS like this and the I can't forget the taxes.
In your hypothetical above you should have time to sort out your statement that you acted with 7rds and then reloaded before the boys arrive ;0 Of course I would be concerned about the local prosecutor more than the arriving officers.

Considering the myriad oversights in the bill I cant imagine these twits are going to distinguish between LEOs' duty and other weapons in their revision. But they've already demonstrated their lack of sensibility so we shall see...

Ducowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33   #107
WT

Stuntman22 - thanks for the clarification.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 15:58   #108
Ajon412

This may or may not answer some of your questions.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...on-for-police/

Quote:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office is working on amendments to clarify the newly passed gun-control law, following complaints that it did not explicitly exempt police officers from a ban on high-capacity magazines.

The state law bans magazines over seven rounds -- police officers typically use magazines that hold twice as many bullets. Critics of the law claimed the alleged oversight was a product of the haste with which the package was passed through the legislature.

"This could have been avoided," Republican Assemblyman Al Graf told FoxNews.com.

However, Cuomo's office insists police officers are still exempt.

"Police officers possessing ammunition clip with more than seven bullets are not in violation of this law and they never will be, period," Cuomo spokesman Matthew Wing said

......Graf also said he wants to write an amendment explicitly exempting retired officers -- further, he claimed there is confusion about whether on- and off-duty officers can have a gun on school grounds.

Last edited by Ajon412; 01-18-2013 at 16:02..
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 19:54   #109
kenpoprofessor

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/18/co...-yorks-new-mag

Clyde
Old 01-18-2013, 21:10   #110
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

No matter what happens when I retire, I just want to be able to carry one more in my gun than kenpoprofessor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'

Last edited by razdog76; 01-18-2013 at 21:11..
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:16   #111
mknpwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
No matter what happens when I retire, I just want to be able to carry one more in my gun than kenpoprofessor.
That's funny!

Sent from my rotary dial phone
mknpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:19   #112
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by razdog76 View Post
Thank you! I was having a sorta not great day, but THAT made me cry laughing! Bahahaha!

Last edited by msu_grad_121; 01-18-2013 at 21:51..
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 21:46   #113
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:

Clyde
The "Hit and Run" blog. How appropriate.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:45   #114
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98LS-WON View Post
Depends on the officer. To quote Capt Ramius from the hunt for red october "We meet the right sort, this will work. We get some... buckaroo"
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41   #115
ajgranda

The bottom line is that this law is going to have to have some amendments added to it. There are just too many loop holes. The law was very poorly written.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51   #116
Officer X

Quote:

Clyde
Blah,blah,blah...I'm right, you're wrong...blah, blah...my opinion beats your years of experience and training...blah,blah...unions bad, cops bad...blah,blah...open carry!...blah, blah...I'm the best employee my boss ever had...blah...cops wrong...blah...open carry!...blah...gun...blah...kenpo...right turn clyde...
Officer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:24   #117
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post

None of us in here (the cops) agree with or want a ban. That said, pushing to limit the police to what the moron legislature wants to limit the citizens to... is counterproductive.

The focus should be on stopping unconstitutional legislation or overturning it asap. Not compounding it to LE.
Cochese,

The only problem with repealing or stopping gun control is that it seems like when politicians do pass gun control that affects the police too, the police dont fight the legislation they only fight to get an exemption for themselves.

Once the police do get exempted, you never hear from the police again about how wrong or ineffective the new gun control law is other than places like GT. The police don't lobby our legislature to overturn anything or to support ccw nationwide.

I remember watching a chief on the news testifying before Congress about LEOSA back on 2004 when the law was being considered. The chief thought federal law should allow active/retired leos to ccw nationwide, but it should be up to the states when it comes to private citizens ccw.

I know you and other leos here on GT are very pro-2A, citizen ccw nationwide, but leos as a whole do not fight very often or very hard for citizens gun rights.

I really think if the police in this country became more vocal and publicly supported the 2A everytime some gun grabber introduced ridiculous legislation we would ALL be better off.

Look at the police in NY. They are not fighting the new magazine restriction, they are just trying to get an exemption for themselves.

Last edited by ICARRY2; 01-19-2013 at 08:28..
ICARRY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32   #118
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICARRY2 View Post
The police don't lobby our legislature to overturn anything or to support ccw nationwide.
That's exactly right. We are not a lobby, we are part of the executive branch of government and engage in law enforcement activities.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39   #119
GRIMLET
Deceased

However, we do belong to certain LE organizations who look out for our interests.

And I hope all here are petitioning their PBA, FOP, Union or other association to amend LEOSA to include high capacity magazines.

Thanks.

GRIMLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:01   #120
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Furthermore, ICARRY2, who have you seen on TV speaking about these issues? Universally, it's someone with stars on their lapels. Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs, administrators and obviously Sheriffs are political positions and thereby carry a certain weight with their opinions (no matter how hackneyed they are). Think about the last time you saw Patrol Officer Jones on the news espousing their opinions on national CCW. Why is that? Because the media and those in the higher levels of government don't care about the opinions of peons like us. They rely on our Chief to express our opinions on our behalf. If the opinions expressed don't reflect ours, we don't really have much in the way of recourse, do we?

I dare say the average police officer in this country couldn't care less about high capacity magazines, or if you're carrying a firearm legally. Those in the upper eschelons of police adminsitration care, and their views must align with those of their betters so they can keep their position and advance. Politics, see?

Add to that the very real possibility a department may have a general order or some such directive barring a plain old street cop from expressing personal opinions while representing the department, and you'll never hear what the officer pushing the squad car really thinks.

Last edited by msu_grad_121; 01-19-2013 at 09:02..
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote