Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:31   #1
dkf

SKS Ammo

I was watching some Youtube vids on the SKS lately and they mentioned issues with brass cased ammo with the heavy SKS hammer spring. The guy claimed the SKS tends to pierce primers on brass cased ammo and that steel cased is best.

1) Does that have any merit?
2) Doesn't the steel cased ammo use brass primers like the brass cased ammo?
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:41   #2
greenlion

I don't know if it is more of a problem with pierced primers or the fact that softer primers make slam-fires more likely. The Russian import ammo definitely has harder primers. I've seen them for sale for reloading, but I can't remember for sure who makes them. If you have a Murray's firing pin on your SKS, you wouldn't have to worry about the slam-fires.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 17:07   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Never noticed it, but I have shot very limited amounts of brass ammo in an SKS. One of the main attractions of an SKS or AK47 is the availability of cheap steel surplus ammo. Of course that is not really the case anymore, the days of 1k cases for less than $200 are gone.

Only real reason to shoot brass ammo is to sight in for hunting with JSP ammo.

Clean the cosmoline out of it real good when new and cleaning the bolt with solvent every year will eliminate the slam fire problem.

Last edited by collim1; 01-11-2013 at 17:07..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:00   #4
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
I don't know if it is more of a problem with pierced primers or the fact that softer primers make slam-fires more likely. The Russian import ammo definitely has harder primers. I've seen them for sale for reloading, but I can't remember for sure who makes them. If you have a Murray's firing pin on your SKS, you wouldn't have to worry about the slam-fires.
Really? I'll have to look up the Murray FP.
Old 01-13-2013, 19:27   #5
kf4zra
I miss ya Murph

Send a message via AIM to kf4zra Send a message via Yahoo to kf4zra

this idea comes from the fact that the sks has a free floating firing pin, and if any crud gets in there, its easier to cause a slamfire on the commercial stuff than it is on the russian surplus stuff.

I have heard people say that the primers are softer on the commercial vs russian ammo. The harder primer is supposed to resist slamfires more.

I dont know how true any of it is. I do know that if you keep your gun maintained, you shouldnt have any problems with either kind of ammo.

I had heard reports of some kind of commercial ammo from years ago that did not have the primers seated deep enough and this caused slamfires too. again, dont know if that is true.

They shouldnt pierce primers unless the firing pin is too long or the primer is not seated properly. Or unless someone sharpened the firing pin.

I have shot about 20 different kinds of 762x39 thru many different sks's. Ranging from winchester, american eagle, S&B, prvi partizan, monarch, golden bear, silver bear, brown bear, various wolfs, various ulayanovsks, golden tiger, reloads, egyptian surplus, yugo surplus, and never had a problem with any of it.

Happiness is a warm AK

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
kf4zra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:45   #6
dkf

I got all the cosmoline off the SKS this weekend (that was a treat) so going to take it out this week to shoot.

Got a bunch of steel cased Herters which is Tulammo. Primers look brass to me. Stripped the gun down completely and the firing pin is free. The firing pin has a nice flat section on the tip which should help to prevent any slam fires.

Maybe it will get some brass cased at it at one point. With the price of steel case ammo I don't think I will bother setting up to reload. Well unless we end up with some kind of stupid ammo restrictions or stupid prices.
Old 01-13-2013, 19:57   #7
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

my SKS and AK shoot steel case ammo as well as brass case. i use steel case almost exclusively because its cheaper.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 21:30   #8
390ish

Shoot it from a clean (everything denuded of cosmoline) and any ammo will do.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31   #9
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
This is some good advice . . . . .
Old 01-14-2013, 13:48   #10
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
When I first bought my SKS I had a few slam fire incidents. Once I soaked all the internals in solvent and oiled them I never had another problem with any ammo shot. I only shoot the steel cased variety, the cheaper the better.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11   #11
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
When I first bought my SKS I had a few slam fire incidents. Once I soaked all the internals in solvent and oiled them I never had another problem with any ammo shot. I only shoot the steel cased variety, the cheaper the better.

I wonder if an SKS can go full auto with slam-fires? That would be something to see.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01   #12
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I wonder if an SKS can go full auto with slam-fires? That would be something to see.
I believe it was an SKS that a guy in the reloading section posted about when he was at the range and someone got shot. New shooter, new gun and the gun went full auto. Shooter panicked and threw the gun. When he threw the gun it shot the shooter.

I stripped the SKS down to all parts and cleaned every nook and cranny. Have not got to shoot it yet because the stock was absolutely loaded with cosmoline. Took many coats with over cleaner and a heat gun to get most of the cosmoline out. They the stock had to be sanded and finished. Looks purty now.

Last edited by dkf; 01-17-2013 at 12:02..
Old 01-17-2013, 12:35   #13
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I believe it was an SKS that a guy in the reloading section posted about when he was at the range and someone got shot. New shooter, new gun and the gun went full auto. Shooter panicked and threw the gun. When he threw the gun it shot the shooter.

I stripped the SKS down to all parts and cleaned every nook and cranny. Have not got to shoot it yet because the stock was absolutely loaded with cosmoline. Took many coats with over cleaner and a heat gun to get most of the cosmoline out. They the stock had to be sanded and finished. Looks purty now.
Wow - inexperienced shooters with guns.
Old 01-17-2013, 23:19   #14
FireForged
Millenium #3936

why are you guys using more expensive brass cased 762x39? just curious
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41   #15
greenlion

Murray's firing pin = no slam-fire worries.
greenlion is offline   Reply With Quote