ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:20   #22
c01
Crazy Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
Did you want to take this one?

Im getting a troll vibe from this guy.

Same here. A guy that I don't know puts a little time and effort out for something interesting and I give him crap. Does not compute. It happens a lot and I really don't understand it. This type of stuff is why I come here. We are all gun guys/gals and have weird questions sometimes. I,for one, from reading other stuff about the 25 did not predict this outcome.
Thanks for the info.
D
c01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:37   #23
Trigger Finger

Both can be deadly but I have known for quite some time that the 25 caliber was better.
James Bond carried one for a long time (J/K).

Another thing is that you can get the 25 caliber in a number of jacketed hollow point type bullets. With the 22 LR all you can get is a lead bullet with a hole in the tip. Niether expands very well but the 25 can get some expansion. I keep the one in the chamber a 25 cal H.P. and the rest FMC in my Beretta Bobcat. Also the European 25 ammo is hotter than the American loads!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Trigger Finger; 01-16-2013 at 22:44..
Trigger Finger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 23:14   #24
fredj338

Quote:
Conclusion: This test may or may not be scientific. It really depends on your definition, but it was equal. It is clear that the .25ACP outperformed the .22LR, and while the difference is fairly small, I do think the wise choice for self defense would be to go with the .25ACP. It is more inheritely more reliable, and from similar length barrels is more powerful.

To be clear, I DO NOT recommend either of these for self defense but for the people that cannot handle a larger caliber, I think the .25ACP would be the way to go.
If you can shoot a 22lr, you can shoot a 4" 38sp w/ 148grWC ammo, IMO, a far better choice than any 22lr. Most 25s are very diff to shoot well for an unskilled shooter, a target style 22lr would be a better tool than any 25acp.
The advent of small 9mm has made the 22-32 mouse guns moot IMO. The little Kahr will be easier to shoot & hit harder & almost the same size. I don't even like the 380, & now with better micro 9mm, why carry anything smaller & less potent.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 01-16-2013 at 23:17..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 23:16   #25
bobtheelf

I would take a .25 over a .22 any day simply because it's centerfire, not rimfire.
bobtheelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 23:17   #26
method

As a defensive round, .25 ACP has to get the nod based just on the fact that it's centerfire. Rimfire ignition simply isn't as reliable.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 00:10   #27
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
If you can shoot a 22lr, you can shoot a 4" 38sp w/ 148grWC ammo.
I have yet to find a 4" .38 the size of my cell phone.

Quote:
The advent of small 9mm has made the 22-32 mouse guns moot IMO. The little Kahr will be easier to shoot & hit harder & almost the same size.
I disagree with this statement. My girlfriend is right at 5' tall and weighs 103 and has trouble shooting her G26. Putting a smaller, lighter weapon in her hands is going to be less effective. The G26 stays on her nightstand, but for carry she is confident in the .25ACP. Its half the size of any 9mm auto, and she can fire 6 rounds in the time it takes her to carefully place one 9mm round.

I even admit to carrying the .22LR and .25ACP at times, but generally as a secondary weapon. I understand its capabilities and I am comfortable with it.
Old 01-17-2013, 00:11   #28
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Were the water jugs full of water?

Cool test. Next time add the .380 to the mix
Yes, all jugs were sealed and full of water. I do have a .380, but only with a 3.5 inch barrel. I do have a .32 Keltec I will be testing next time though, as I am curious to how it will do.
Old 01-17-2013, 00:18   #29
c01
Crazy Eye

Quote:
Yes, all jugs were sealed and full of water. I do have a .380, but only with a 3.5 inch barrel. I do have a .32 Keltec I will be testing next time though, as I am curious to how it will do.
Me too.

D
c01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 00:33   #30
flw

Quote:
If you can shoot a 22lr, you can shoot a 4" 38sp w/ 148grWC ammo, IMO, a far better choice than any 22lr. Most 25s are very diff to shoot well for an unskilled shooter, a target style 22lr would be a better tool than any 25acp.
The advent of small 9mm has made the 22-32 mouse guns moot IMO. The little Kahr will be easier to shoot & hit harder & almost the same size. I don't even like the 380, & now with better micro 9mm, why carry anything smaller & less potent.
You seem to be be getting more excited the larger the caliber.

One of the main points is smaller can still be effective.

In this case, it can also be very cost effective compared to the two other (larger) and more expensive calibers to shoot examples.

Then there is the less expensive rounds to shoot, the more people practice (good) and practice means more effective rounds down range (also good).

Last is the only real con. The owner must select the most reliable of the bunch, as reliability is always #1. Center fire is more reliable than rim. Is 25 the cheapest center fire to shoot (before recent price jumps/shortages) ?

I know this is a caliber discussion but with a 22, reliability is a serious consideration, if the gun is ever to be considered for use in self defense. All 22 variations have lower a reliability.

Thanks for the reviews
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43   #31
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
I have yet to find a 4" .38 the size of my cell phone.

I disagree with this statement. My girlfriend is right at 5' tall and weighs 103 and has trouble shooting her G26. Putting a smaller, lighter weapon in her hands is going to be less effective. The G26 stays on her nightstand, but for carry she is confident in the .25ACP. Its half the size of any 9mm auto, and she can fire 6 rounds in the time it takes her to carefully place one 9mm round.

I even admit to carrying the .22LR and .25ACP at times, but generally as a secondary weapon. I understand its capabilities and I am comfortable with it.
CCI Stingers are good in the pocket .22s - over 1000 FPS with a 32gr JHP.