SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2013, 18:18   #1
Ski2me
Glock Envy

Loading for different pistols, same caliber

How many of you adjust your loads for specific pistols? I have a G22 and just got a 40 Shield last week. When I shot my goto load for my Glock in the Shield it was very snappy and had what I think is a little to much recoil. If I go much lighter in my Glock I have trouble with the trigger not completely resetting. So I guess I'll need to reload lighter for the shield. I hate having to worry about what round goes in which gun.

Please let me know your thoughts and how you handle this?
Old 01-16-2013, 18:52   #2
dkf

My G31, G32 and G33 all get the same loads.

So the loads you are using barely cycle the slide on your G22?
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 19:31   #3
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski2me View Post
If I go much lighter in my Glock I have trouble with the trigger not completely resetting. So I guess I'll need to reload lighter for the shield. I hate having to worry about what round goes in which gun.

I think you're not making sense. Trigger reset happens in a Glock long before the slide has moved enough to eject the fired case. I don't see how going a little lighter could give you trigger reset issues before ejection issues unless something is not right in your G22.
Old 01-16-2013, 19:58   #4
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

The trigger doesn't reset until you take your finger off it. Lighter loads make the gun easier to control.

Now, to the OP.

I load a number of calibers for several guns. I load 38-55 for long range competition. I load 38-40 for action competition. I load 38 special for eight revolvers and four rifles. I load 45 acp for five 1911s.

Some of the guns have distinct "personalities." This is especially true with obsolete cartridges, which never had any SAMMI standards to adhere to. I have, particularly, had to adjust bullet seating to make things work in particular guns. But, also, shoulder set-back sometimes has to be done differently for different guns.

So, when I run a series of loads, it is always with a specific gun in mind and adjustments are done accordingly.

I have several braces of rifles/pistols that require different intensity rounds for different guns. I have a difficult time holding onto my model P pistols with full house BP loads in the 38-40. So, for that, I have to use fillers to bring the intensity of the loads down.

I often shoot different loads with different bullet weights in rifles and pistols.

I think you adopt a gun rather than purchasing it. Once you get it home and take it to the range, it starts to tell you its individual story and personality. In order to be competitive, I really have to "listen" carefully to each gun.

This is the main reason why I reload. You could never find store-bought ammo for some of the guns I shoot. And, if you could, you certainly couldn't afford it.
Old 01-16-2013, 21:30   #5
Ski2me
Glock Envy

I guess I used the wrong term. When I load too light for my G22 it sometimes will fire a second round before I pull the trigger all the way back to the firing position. With factory loads or heavier reloads this never happens. I've had two G20s and a G17 but this is the only gun that this has ever happened in.
Old 01-16-2013, 21:44   #6
dkf

I don't run mouse fart loads but that does not sound right to me. Stock gun or aftermarket trigger parts?
Old 01-16-2013, 21:52   #7
marvin
sci-fi nut

something is wrong with your G22 if you get to shots with one pull. do you have stock springs or after market springs or an overtravel stop?

Free men own guns, slaves don't.
marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 22:06   #8
Ski2me
Glock Envy

I don't get two shots with one pull. It's like the trigger mechanism releases the firing pin before the trigger pull is complete on the second shot. The gun is stock and a little over a year old.
Old 01-16-2013, 22:09   #9
Ski2me
Glock Envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
The trigger doesn't reset until you take your finger off it. Lighter loads make the gun easier to control.

Now, to the OP.

I load a number of calibers for several guns. I load 38-55 for long range competition. I load 38-40 for action competition. I load 38 special for eight revolvers and four rifles. I load 45 acp for five 1911s.

Some of the guns have distinct "personalities." This is especially true with obsolete cartridges, which never had any SAMMI standards to adhere to. I have, particularly, had to adjust bullet seating to make things work in particular guns. But, also, shoulder set-back sometimes has to be done differently for different guns.

So, when I run a series of loads, it is always with a specific gun in mind and adjustments are done accordingly.

I have several braces of rifles/pistols that require different intensity rounds for different guns. I have a difficult time holding onto my model P pistols with full house BP loads in the 38-40. So, for that, I have to use fillers to bring the intensity of the loads down.

I often shoot different loads with different bullet weights in rifles and pistols.

I think you adopt a gun rather than purchasing it. Once you get it home and take it to the range, it starts to tell you its individual story and personality. In order to be competitive, I really have to "listen" carefully to each gun.

This is the main reason why I reload. You could never find store-bought ammo for some of the guns I shoot. And, if you could, you certainly couldn't afford it.
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.
Old 01-16-2013, 23:02   #10
dkf

Quote:
I don't get two shots with one pull. It's like the trigger mechanism releases the firing pin before the trigger pull is complete on the second shot. The gun is stock and a little over a year old.
Sounds screwy to me.

What is your load that does this?

If the load is not real light I would most likely do a detail strip and clean of the slide and then put on a orange slide cover plate to check the FP lug and trigger bar engagement. Of course it could not hurt to that regardless.

Last edited by dkf; 01-16-2013 at 23:07..
Old 01-16-2013, 23:05   #11
SigFTW

I have 7 9mm and they all use the same load, even my Kimber Solo. 5 45APC and they all use the same load. 2 40 S&W same load and 2 10mm same load.

I'm too lazy and will not take the time to develop loads for each gun and don't see a need to.
Old 01-17-2013, 16:29   #12
vtducrider

I have found powder charge can be tweaked to get better accuracy for different pistols in the same caliber, if all else being equal. That said, I don't think I would come up with a light load specifically for the Shield. Because it is not a high round count gun for me, given its purpose. I would work up an equivalent load to the SD ammo of your choice, and practice with that.
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 16:42   #13
JimA

Quote:
How many of you adjust your loads for specific pistols? I have a G22 and just got a 40 Shield last week. When I shot my goto load for my Glock in the Shield it was very snappy and had what I think is a little to much recoil. If I go much lighter in my Glock I have trouble with the trigger not completely resetting. So I guess I'll need to reload lighter for the shield. I hate having to worry about what round goes in which gun.

You are used to a full sized .40. The Shield is tiny compared to the G22. It should have a lot more recoil. The Shield will handle whatever you want to put in it, but it will be a beast with the hot stuff.
JimA is offline   Reply With Quote