Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 23:31   #326
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKUJustice View Post
Requiring background checks would work to an extent without registration my guess is people would still sell them as usual to people they know which means they aren't gonna sell to someone restricted. What it would prevent is the person meeting a stranger from a forum in a parking lot to sell as they don't know if the person is legit or someone about to set them up so that would end up going through a dealer
I did just that today actually. As gun owners it is our responsibility to do our best to keep guns in the correct hands. Keeping them out of the hands of criminals or the mentally ill is part of our job as responsible gun owners. I bought an ar a few weeks ago. Ended up getting another this week that i liked better so i sold the one i got before. Sold in under a day on armslist. Terms of the sale was filling out a bill of sale, having a valid iowa id, and having a permit to purchase handguns or permit to carry (in iowa this means they have already passed a background check). It was easy as pie. No rights were violated and i know the gun i sold wasnt going to someone who shouldnt have one.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:33   #327
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

The Okie Corral
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:33   #328
Minnow
JUST ADD SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
So, between the panic that ends Tuesday, and the panic that begins Wednesday, did anybody find any bargains?

Yes.
I found a bargain on a Sobakawa Pillow. Now Looking to trade for a PMAG or 1lb of Varget. I'll keep watching infomercials and see if I can sweeten the deal.
Minnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:39   #329
Nac4788

Impeach the Dictator now!

Don't let him "ORDER" you to give up your high cap mags, Impeach the dictator now before its too late!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ntrol/L0dghhJV
Nac4788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:40   #330
iDivideByZero
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
I do not know a cop personally that would take a law abiding citizens firearm, not a single one. But hey all cops are a tool that will be used to confiscate your guns, we will haz your bases to.
While I do not generally agree with the paranoid rantings that seem way too common on GT, it isn't as though police seizure of law abiding citizens' firearms isn't without precedence:

Hurricane Katrina - Confiscation of Civilian Firearms

I know that not everyone followed orders blindly (I remember reading somewhere that an Army unit refused to, stating that it was a constitutionally unlawful order), but enough obeyed to seize over a thousand privately owned firearms ...
Old 01-15-2013, 23:49   #331
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
I do not know a cop personally that would take a law abiding citizens firearm, not a single one. But hey all cops are a tool that will be used to confiscate your guns, we will haz your bases to.
So how many of the approximately 34000 NYC police will not take people's guns? I guess we now have a test case in NY to see if what you guys keep telling us about police is true.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:56   #332
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
So how many of the approximately 34000 NYC police will not take people's guns? I guess we now have a test case in NY to see if what you guys keep telling us about police is true.

Not even a fair comparison. Freedom and liberty waved bye bye to everyone in that hell hole long ago. I bet most nypd will do as their emperors bloomberg and obama demand. Officers in the rest of america, especially red states will likely not follow such orders.

NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 00:00   #333
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Went by Sportsman's Warehouse today and you couldn't get in the parking lot, so I think panic buying is still strong.
Old 01-16-2013, 00:41   #334
9559mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpisgah View Post
If they announce no ban then I will buy an AR15 when the prices return to normal. I don't really care about 30 round magazines. If I can't hit it in 10 rounds, then I don't have much chance.
Think of it in terms of a no rule-of-law scenario. A heavily armed group comes across your home and family with the intensions of raiding it for food, theft, and possibly worse. Maybe 10 people. I'm a good shot, but I like 3:1 vs. 1:1 bullet to target ratios - especially when something so important is on the line. The least amount of mag changes the better.
9559mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 00:45   #335
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikkoolaid View Post
From "asset forfeiture" laws, to podunk sheriff departments taking grants of military vehicles and weapons from Homeland Security, police have become more predisposed to aggressive, immediate violence at the slightest provocation.

Any whiff of "contempt of cop" gets you tazed, cuffed and charged with felony obstruction. Spend some time on YouTube, and you'll see ghastly over reactions to minimal provocation by police towards citizens, especially minorities.

Even something as banal as "Cops" shows evidence of this:

Reruns from the late 1980s show officers talking and diffusing situations, but busting skulls when needed. Today's episodes show SWAT teams kicking in doors to serve child support warrants.

Boys and their toys they say, and the "War on Terror" has certainly brought lots of new goodies and not very subtle incentives to the job.

It is possible to be so close to the forest as to not see the trees.
Figured that would be the answer you gave, watch re-runs of cops and youtube to see the horrible police do bad things to wonderful people.....

No need to reply anymore I have no need to converse with you and the opinions you brought to support your opinion
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 00:51   #336
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDivideByZero View Post
While I do not generally agree with the paranoid rantings that seem way too common on GT, it isn't as though police seizure of law abiding citizens' firearms isn't without precedence:

Hurricane Katrina - Confiscation of Civilian Firearms

I know that not everyone followed orders blindly (I remember reading somewhere that an Army unit refused to, stating that it was a constitutionally unlawful order), but enough obeyed to seize over a thousand privately owned firearms ...
I can tell you this, my officers didn't confiscate **** while we were there. Further, the only police I even heard about doing so were New Orleans PD and California State Police. There might have been more but I actually had not even thought about it until right now.

Regardless it is not a common police ideal to run around and take peoples guns. I am sorry to bust all the bubbles that seem to be floating around about it.

Quote:

Not sure on this one and I actually do not know anyone currently working for NYC. I would hope some would have common sense but that is not always the case.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:02   #337
jamstutz
CLM Number 199
Charter Lifetime Member

Telling us we need to compromise regarding our gun rights is rather like telling us we need to compromise on the number of folks we allow to use our swimming pool as a toilet.

Last edited by jamstutz; 01-16-2013 at 01:03..
jamstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32   #338
NWhaole

looks like prosecutions of failed 4473's will be the big one? Dont be boozed up fellas when filling it out haha
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01   #339
nipperwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Reports are that the Biden committee will announce tougher background checks to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of the mentally ill, a nationwide discussion on mental health, and school safety initiatives.

No restriction on assault weapons or mags or ammo.

Biden has said that his Senate colleagues universally opposed any gun control. So, Obama blames Congress for no restrictions.

I think they knew this was a dog and pony show gamble. If they won, they claim success, if they lose, they blame Congress.

Come Tuesday, those folks that paid $2000 for a $600 DPMS are gonna feel pretty darn stupid. The buyers market will be back by Spring.
Best Thread Fail of 2013 Award winner.

Quote:
We've gone from Socrates, to Snooki.
Ducky, NCIS
nipperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:32   #340
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstutz View Post
Telling us we need to compromise regarding our gun rights is rather like telling us we need to compromise on the number of folks we allow to use our swimming pool as a toilet.
No.

It is like us telling Obama that he needs to compromise on the 13th amendment. After all, if we are compromising on one amendment, shouldn't the same be done for other amendments?

2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35   #341
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperwolf View Post
Why some of you fear an Executive Order is beyond me.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37   #342
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
No.

It is like us telling Obama that he needs to compromise on the 13th amendment. After all, if we are compromising on one amendment, shouldn't the same be done for other amendments?
Article 1, section 1o has been totally ignored for years.
Why should we be surprised when other provisions of the constitution are ignored?

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:41   #343
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
The Okie Corral
Now that ids an excellent gif.
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02   #344
jim2037

Send a message via Yahoo to jim2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
No .

My thoughts exactly. Compromise on the second amendment, sure right after they compromise on the first
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
jim2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31   #345
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotRePeter View Post
I'd like to use this exchange, because when talking to my father, who is not an anti, but a non gunner, he always asks WHY would the gov't do this stuff? whats the motivation, and I always say that its their nature, not to rule/oppress us, but to make us "safe" from ourselves so they sort of just naturally end up as oppressors. Its unfortunate, but just goes to show why the road to hell is paved with good intentions
How do you explain to dad that Rs are pro-gun while Ds are anti?

When you say "...its their nature..." you must mean Progressives, because Conservatives don't want to take our guns. The problem is Ds in government, not government in general.

Ds are afraid of citizens being armed but Rs are not? Hmmm. Somehow the notion of Democrats wanting to disarm us out of concern for public safety while Republicans want us to be armed just isn't logical; there has to be a philosophical basis for the difference in position on gun issues. Can somebody help us here?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 01-16-2013 at 06:53..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:36   #346
GAFinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac4788 View Post
Impeach the Dictator now!

Don't let him "ORDER" you to give up your high cap mags, Impeach the dictator now before its too late!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ntrol/L0dghhJV
Seriously? You're petioning the President to impeach himself?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41   #347
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipperwolf View Post
Yes, that's how most of his posts are.

Quote:
Why some of you fear an Executive Order is beyond me.

Heh, you must not watch the news, huh? We'll see what Obama proposes today.
OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41   #348
svtpwnz

I sold all my guns to the panic buyers. After 12:00 this afternoon, I can buy guns and mags way cheaper!
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:44   #349
IllinoisGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
I honestly don't care about this. It isn't a big deal, we do it here. Take 2 seconds and doesn't cost anything. This is a compromise we should be willing to make to avoid any awb or mag ban.

Transfer fees are $25 here.

When you compromise what you already have, you lose.
IllinoisGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47   #350
IllinoisGun

Quote:
Reports are that the Biden committee will announce tougher background checks to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of the mentally ill, a nationwide discussion on mental health, and school safety initiatives.

No restriction on assault weapons or mags or ammo.

Biden has said that his Senate colleagues universally opposed any gun control. So, Obama blames Congress for no restrictions.

I think they knew this was a dog and pony show gamble. If they won, they claim success, if they lose, they blame Congress.

Come Tuesday, those folks that paid $2000 for a $600 DPMS are gonna feel pretty darn stupid. The buyers market will be back by Spring.
I agree with you. Gun control is DOA in Congress. And Obama knew it from the start.
IllinoisGun is offline   Reply With Quote