GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2013, 18:40   #301
4095fanatic

I think it'll still be a little bit more before the bubble bursts.
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 18:47   #302
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
New York is not Alabama.

That dog won't hunt in Dixie.

It also won't hunt in our neighboring States, Texas, and the great States of Montana and Wyoming.
doesn't even seem to be working in pennsylvania.
21 clubmember #629 freemasons clubmember # 57
Kalashnikov klub member # 413 black rifle club # 830
The road to Hell is paved with good intent
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 18:57   #303
1911austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
And how could background checks on all private sales be enforced unless there is registration of all guns in private hands?
Exactly.
Old 01-15-2013, 19:04   #304
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Enforced when caught, like most laws.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 19:45   #305
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Im with tbo here. There absolutely can be easy background check requirements without registration. It would be difficult to enforce but possible.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:03   #306
jdavionic
NRA Member

Quote:
Sue me, I'm 12 hours late.

That being said, tomorrow you will see the most despicable display ever seen by a President. Using kids as props to stage an all out assault on our liberty is sickening.

I still say he's posturing. The Congress won't follow his agenda.

Folks, we are bearing witness to an unbelievable event in our history.
It appears you've changed your tune.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:08   #307
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Enforced when caught, like most laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC50310 View Post
Im with tbo here. There absolutely can be easy background check requirements without registration. It would be difficult to enforce but possible.
I agree that it is of course possible.

I believe though that after two or three years of universal background checks in the absence of registration there would inevitably occur some incident involving a gun sold during that period...
An incident involving a gun sold in a private sale for which a background check was not performed.

The antis and the media would then raise every possible kind of hell to insist that registration is absolutely necessary.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 01-15-2013 at 20:09..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:16   #308
Ruggles

Quote:
New York is not Alabama.

It also won't hunt in our neighboring States, Texas, and the great States of Montana and Wyoming.
True enough.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...lony-in-texas/

"Any future federal laws passed by Congress or executive orders imposed by President Barack Obama aimed at restricting the ownership of semi-automatic guns or limiting the size of magazines will be considered illegal in Texas — that is, if a newly proposed bill makes it through the Texas legislature.

GOP Rep. Steve Toth said he plans to introduce the “Firearms Protection Act,” which calls for felony criminal charges to be filed against any federal official who tries to enforce new gun-restricting regulations in the Lone Star State.

“If a federal official comes into the state of Texas to enforce the federal executive order, that person is subject to criminal prosecution,” Toth told 1200 WOAI’s Joe Pags Tuesday.

Federal officials would face a $50,000 fine and up to five years in prison for attempting to enforce a federal gun ban, according to Toth.

“It is our responsibility to push back when those laws are infringed by King Obama,” Toth said.

More from WOAI:

Toth says he will file his measure after speaking with the state’s Republican Attorney General, Greg Abbott, who has already vowed to fight any federal measures which call for restrictions on weapons possession.
Toth concedes that he would welcome a legal fight over his proposals.
“At some point there needs to be a showdown between the states and the federal government over the Supremacy Clause,” he said.
The Supremacy Clause is the portion of the Constitution which declares that federal laws and statutes are ‘the supreme law of the land.’
The proposed legislation comes less than a week after Wyoming lawmakers proposed a similar measure to protect the state from future federal gun control laws."

Texas is a whole different breed of gun owner and culture than NY.

Last edited by Ruggles; 01-15-2013 at 20:18..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 20:35   #309
jad45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRocket View Post
Incrementalism. Slippery slope.
Glenn Beck wrote a wonderful fable about this called The Overton Window - very much worth the read.
Old 01-15-2013, 20:41   #310
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'The panic of 2013 begins Wednesday'?
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:07   #311
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'The panic of 2013 begins Wednesday'?
Could be
Old 01-15-2013, 21:13   #312
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

So, between the panic that ends Tuesday, and the panic that begins Wednesday, did anybody find any bargains?

ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:20   #313
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
So, between the panic that ends Tuesday, and the panic that begins Wednesday, did anybody find any bargains?

Like a midnight sale?

I guess we will see soon what happens.

Almost bought a Ruger American .30-06 today. I guess I can wait since that is not in jeopardy.
Old 01-15-2013, 21:37   #314
Reswob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Like a midnight sale?

I guess we will see soon what happens.

Almost bought a Ruger American .30-06 today. I guess I can wait since that is not in jeopardy.
Is it some sort of firearm, magazine, ammunition, or other firearm related accessory? If so, it's probably in jeopardy.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:39   #315
Aces and 8s
Dead Mans Hand

Sure hope all they announce is heavier background checks. Otherwise, prepare for a fight for our rights.
"I believe everyody in the world should have guns. Citizens should have bazookas and rocket launchers too. I believe that all citizens should have their weapons of choice. However, I also believe that only I should have the ammunition. Because frankly, I wouldn't trust the rest of the goobers with anything more dangerous than string." - Scott Adams
Aces and 8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:41   #316
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Is it some sort of firearm, magazine, ammunition, or other firearm related accessory? If so, it's probably in jeopardy.

Not locally. It's one of those don't need for anything but still want guns for me.
Old 01-15-2013, 21:48   #317
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

I scored some evil 13 round glock mags for the normal price, does that count?

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:52   #318
Reswob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Not locally. It's one of those don't need for anything but still want guns for me.
Locally doesn't much matter depending on what the Messiah announces tomorrow behind his wall of children...
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 21:55   #319
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
We arm ourselves the best we can yes, we are not being programmed to do a damn thing.

[...]

Can you fill us in on our programming so I can be on the same playing field as you?
From "asset forfeiture" laws, to podunk sheriff departments taking grants of military vehicles and weapons from Homeland Security, police have become more predisposed to aggressive, immediate violence at the slightest provocation.

Any whiff of "contempt of cop" gets you tazed, cuffed and charged with felony obstruction. Spend some time on YouTube, and you'll see ghastly over reactions to minimal provocation by police towards citizens, especially minorities.

Even something as banal as "Cops" shows evidence of this:

Reruns from the late 1980s show officers talking and diffusing situations, but busting skulls when needed. Today's episodes show SWAT teams kicking in doors to serve child support warrants.

Boys and their toys they say, and the "War on Terror" has certainly brought lots of new goodies and not very subtle incentives to the job.

It is possible to be so close to the forest as to not see the trees.
Old 01-15-2013, 22:00   #320
Electrikkoolaid
Grape flavored!

Quote:
New York is not Alabama.

New York was the first to pass mandatory seatbelt laws in the 1980s.

How many states now have this same "safety" provision in their revenue, er traffic, laws?
Old 01-15-2013, 22:08   #321
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Locally doesn't much matter depending on what the Messiah announces tomorrow behind his wall of children...
Yeah, let him try and take away bolt action .30-06 rifles from the south.....

You think the AR boys are volatile about their ARs? Take a way a county boys hunting rifle

Honestly the state (as designed) are the one who will be most successful in countering this crap from the federal government IMO. I feel for those guys and girls in liberal crazy states like NY and CA but what occurs there is not a indicator of what will occur everywhere. NY is not a indicator of where things are headed nationwide from state firearm laws IMO.

Obama is not to blame for NY's stupidity with this new law, NY is.....this crap has been going on in NY and elsewhere at the state level long before Obama.

He will get his rightful due and blame when he announces his federal plans....
Old 01-15-2013, 22:14   #322
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikkoolaid View Post
New York was the first to pass mandatory seatbelt laws in the 1980s.

How many states now have this same "safety" provision in their revenue, er traffic, laws?

Not even remotely the same as state level firearm laws IMO. Again sorry for what is going on at a state level in certain areas of America but that does not mean the insanity will spread. Texas (among many other states) is not looking to NY for leadership or guidance on much of anything much less firearm laws.....
Old 01-15-2013, 22:29   #323
jstormbringer
My Glocks rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhog View Post
I will leave this here about PTSD....

Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, wants veterans who have been deemed “mentally incompetent” to have their cases adjudicated by a judge — rather than the Department of Veterans Affairs, as happens currently — and argued that veterans who simply cannot support themselves financially are needlessly given the label and, as such, cannot buy or possess firearms.

Coburn amendment #3109 proposed "to protect the Second amendment rights of veterans" by revising Chapter 55 of title 38, United States Code, Sec. 5503.

In any case arising out of the administration by the Secretary of laws and benefits under this title, a person who is mentally incapacitated, deemed mentally incompetent, or experiencing an extended loss of consciousness shall not be considered adjudicated as a mental defective under subsection (d)(4) or (g)(4) of section 922 of title 18 without the order or finding of a judge, magistrate, or other judicial authority of competent jurisdiction that such person is a danger to himself or herself or others.

“We’re not asking for anything big,” Coburn explained on the Senate floor Thursday. “We’re just saying that if you’re going to take away the Second Amendment rights -- they ought to have it adjudicated, rather than mandated by someone who’s unqualified to state that they should lose their rights.”

However, as soon as New York Democrat Sen. Charles E. Schumer discovered that Coburn’s pitch was part of a bundle of amendments tucked into the NDAA, he quickly objected.

“I love our veterans,” Schumer prefaced his opinion. “I vote for them all the time, they defend us.”

Despite his professions of “love” for “our veterans,” Schumer then equated military veterans with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder to convicted criminals.

But if you are mentally ill, whether you’re a veteran or not, just like if you’re a felon, if you’re a veteran or not, and you have been judged to be mentally infirm, you should not have a gun.

Against Schumer’s claim that he votes for them “all the time,” according to BradyCampaign.org, Schumer was one of three Democrats who “championed” the National Instant Check System Improvement Act of 2007. While the law “strengthens the Brady Law’s National Instant Check System (NICS)” and makes it “harder for criminals and other dangerous people to buy firearms,” it also strips veterans being treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder of their Second Amendment rights.

“As the first new federal gun control law in more than a decade,” the website explains, “it also helps lay the groundwork to expand Brady background checks to all gun sales.”

According to Schumer’s website, “writing and helping” to “pass” the Brady Bill is among what he considers to be his greatest “accomplishments” as a senator.

When a veteran is declared incompetent, the Veterans Administration (VA) appoints fiduciaries, often family members, to manage their pensions and disability benefits. Because of Schumer’s NICS Improvement Act of 2007, the VA also automatically enters the names of those veterans in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which prohibits them from buying or owning firearms.

Coburn sought to amend Chapter 55 of title 38, United States Code to prohibit the VA from entering those names into the system.

North Carolina Republican Sen. Richard Burr proposed similar legislation -- the Veterans Second Amendment Protection Act – in Oct. 2011.

“All I am saying,” Coburn said during Thursday’s Senate debate, “is let them at least have their day in court if you are going to take away a fundamental right given under the Constitution.”

“We’re talking about people who have some form of disability to the extent that they’re unable to manage their own affairs,” said Dan Gross, president of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. “If you’re deemed unable to handle your own affairs, that’s likely to constitute a high percentage of people who are dangerously mentally ill.”

Summary
A query of VHA health care utilization databases using the May 2012 DMDC roster
yielded a total of 239,174 OEF/OIF/OND Veterans coded with PTSD at a VAMC and
51,173 Veterans who received Vet Center service for PTSD. Of these, 205,647 were seen
only at a VAMC; 17,646 only at a Vet Center; and 33,527 were seen at both facilities. In
summary, based on the electronic patient records available through June 30, 2012, a
grand total of 256,820 OEF/OIF/OND Veterans were seen for potential PTSD at VHA
facilities following their return from Iraq or Afghanistan.
And they wonder why we say no problem I'm good and drive on with our lives, just as my WW2 veteran grandfather and Vietnam veteran uncles did.... My .02
True Grit;
unfaltering courage; devotion to what is right; indomitableness
jstormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 22:56   #324
EKUJustice

Requiring background checks would work to an extent without registration my guess is people would still sell them as usual to people they know which means they aren't gonna sell to someone restricted. What it would prevent is the person meeting a stranger from a forum in a parking lot to sell as they don't know if the person is legit or someone about to set them up so that would end up going through a dealer
EKUJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:16   #325
WASRfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrikkoolaid View Post
From "asset forfeiture" laws, to podunk sheriff departments taking grants of military vehicles and weapons from Homeland Security, police have become more predisposed to aggressive, immediate violence at the slightest provocation.

Any whiff of "contempt of cop" gets you tazed, cuffed and charged with felony obstruction. Spend some time on YouTube, and you'll see ghastly over reactions to minimal provocation by police towards citizens, especially minorities.

Even something as banal as "Cops" shows evidence of this:

Reruns from the late 1980s show officers talking and diffusing situations, but busting skulls when needed. Today's episodes show SWAT teams kicking in doors to serve child support warrants.

Boys and their toys they say, and the "War on Terror" has certainly brought lots of new goodies and not very subtle incentives to the job.

It is possible to be so close to the forest as to not see the trees.
Absofreakinglootly. But the above is more of an outgrowth of the GeeeDubb era, when "it's for the cop's safety" was the daily drumbeat and the DHS went over the top with the Patriot Act.

Now everyone that is anti-gun believes that cops are "outgunned" - as the media would have them believe.

Always funny when these fuzzy-head libs get all bent outta shape when cops shoot a street bum 37 times in NYC, or also in NYC - warrantless stop 'n frisks. "Its for the cop's safety!"

Recall when Obummer's plaftform was against all those horrid GeeeeeeeeeeeDubb programs the nasty Republicans put into place?
That is, until he got into office and found out how HE can use GeeeeDubs tools to secure his power.

He has since pizzed a lot of his own liberal constituents off. Drone strikes and murders of US citizens tend to do that.

Sadly for us; his liberal base wasn't so disenchanted as to not vote for him again. Mittney tended to do that.
WASRfan is offline   Reply With Quote