Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2013, 17:19   #1
7mmmag1

Need Help, G22 failing to feed

Hey guys, my G22 has probably at least 6000 rounds through it. I put all new springs, other than the mag release and disassembly lever spring, about 1000 rounds ago or less. I have been having trouble with it failing to feed, the round makes it most of the way out of the magazine, but it seems to get stuck on the roof of the chamber. I bought 2 new magazines a couple months ago, and it is failing to feed even more often with these magazines than with my older magazines. I keep the gun very clean, detail strip and clean it out with alcohol every 1000 rounds or so and I also keep the magazines clean too.

I put the new springs in because I thought it might help the failing to feed issue and it was probably about time anyway, but the issue hasn't been fixed. I have tried 165 and 180 gr ammo, both factory and my reloads (loaded to 170 power factor), and it still malfunctions with the factory ammo, so I know its not the ammo.

Please give me your expert opinions, I would really like this G22 to be reliable again.

Thanks
7mmmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 21:32   #2
Green Teabagger

you cant see from the crap photo but on my glock 22 mags the shell caseing gets caught on the piece of plastic on the the front of the mag and it wont feed... i want to get a dremal and cut it off but i will try extra power springs first
Attached Thumbnails
General Glocking - Click for larger version  
Green Teabagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 00:54   #3
judgecrater

Check the upper portion of your chamber that it is hanging up on. It can get brass residue from use and increase friction with the cartridge. Might polish that part of the chamber a bit, along with the ramp. Normal solvent cleaning may not remove the brass residue.
judgecrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:20   #4
voyager4520
-----

Put all factory springs back in the gun, preferably the recoil spring and magazine springs should be new, not the old ones you replaced. G22 magazines used to use 10-coil springs, they now use 11-coil springs which would be Glock manufacturer part number SP02551.

Also number your magazines, for a single range trip you can put masking tape on the floorplates of each magazine with different numbers written on them, and keep track of which magazines the failures to feed occur with. If they occur with some of your magazines and not others, the problem is with the magazines that failed to feed. If they occur with all of your magazines, the problem is likely something else in the gun.

American Eagle and Speer Lawman .40 ammo have never given me problems, I'd try to test with that ammo.

With the magazines, there can be excess plastic on the front lip that sits just under the nose of a cartridge being fed out of the magazine. There's a metal lip that's part of the metal liner, there should not be any plastic raised above that lip, if there is you can shave it down. There are also plastic protrusions at the front of each feed lip which may protrude too far and slow the rise of the top round, you can shave those protrusions down until the failures to feed stop. You can shave them down to the point that they're entirely removed and it won't cause any problems.

Nevermind the instructions in the picture, just shave them down until the failures to feed stop. I would put all the factory springs back in the gun before shaving anything on the magazines though.
General Glocking

Last edited by voyager4520; 01-15-2013 at 06:27..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 18:44   #5
7mmmag1

Thanks for the replies. I checked my magazines, they don't have any excess plastic at the front of the magazine, but I may have some excess on the sides near the front that could be causing the bullet to tilt or something, this was on the new magazines (the most troublesome).

I replaced the springs with brand new Glock brand springs, so I don't think its the springs. I will clean all the magazines, and file on the newer mags and see if that cures the problem. Oh, btw, the follower numbers are 8 on my old mags, and 9 on the new mags if that makes any difference. I checked the chamber and ramp last night, and it all looks good, shiny and smooth.
Old 01-15-2013, 21:47   #6
7mmmag1

Ok, just cleaned all my magazines inside and out with alcohol, and lubed them up as well. So the pistol is perfectly clean right now and so are the magazines. I could not tell any difference in plastic molding or defects from one magazine to the others, and all the magazines have the 11 coil springs. I guess if I still have trouble after all this I will need to contact Glocks customer service, because I cannot find a single thing wrong.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17   #7
voyager4520
-----

The #8 followers and #9 followers should both work fine as long as you don't put a #9 follower in a magazine tube that originally had a #8 follower. You're supposed to be able to mix them, but there's an area on the #9 follower that's too wide to work perfectly in an older magazine tube. It shouldn't cause failures to feed though, at most you'd experience failures of the slide to lock back on the last round.

I wouldn't lube the magazines, it's not necessary and will only collect more residue in the magazines. The oil can also seep into the cartridges stored in the magazine and deactivate the primers and gunpowder, if the gunpowder is deactivated but the primer still fires, you could end up with a bullet stuck in the barrel when you fire that round. Wiping the spring and metal liner with oil then wiping them dry for corrosion protection is fine though.

Last edited by voyager4520; 01-16-2013 at 11:18..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42   #8
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I hope this gets resolved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:46   #9
7mmmag1

Sorry for the delay, but I have a range update. The pistol ran flawlessly with my old gen 3 magazines with the #8 followers, with the magazines and followers still oiled. It will fail to feed if they get a little dirty (known from shooting matches outdoors where I drop them in the dirt). However, 2 of my new magazines did fail to feed, with 1 new magazines working fine (ran 2 full mags through it).

Obviously, there is still something wrong, because I am pretty sure it will continue to fail to feed, at least with the newer magazines when the oil disappears.
Old 01-25-2013, 13:54   #10
7mmmag1

Well, I called Glock, and because the gun is 2 years old they won't pay for shipping, and suggested I take it to an armorer instead, or pay shipping and have them go through it.
Old 01-26-2013, 16:35   #11
ca survivor

there should be no oil or lube in magazines or followers, specially in plastic magazines.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 18:35   #12
SargeMO

I am far from being a Glockophile; never carried one until 2008 when I signed on as the Asst. Chief and Firearms Instructor for an outfit that issues them. I have since become a Glock Armorer and it's sorta like being the Maytag repairman.

Almost comically, the first G22 they issued me choked right and left. Turned out to be a bad magazine. 40 Caliber feed lip specs are 9.4mm or 0.370" at the rear of the mag and 9.6mm or 0.378" at the front. Too narrow, you get 'nose down' failures to feed. Too wide, and you get 'nose up' failures.

FWIW I have old hard-used G23 mags that are at least 0.005" over the above specs, and they feed perfectly.

PS- if you're being a retard, don't expect a reply.
SargeMO is offline   Reply With Quote