Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 23:09   #101
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRider View Post
My predictions for the recommendations to be made on tuesday:

Three things and all are for different purposes-

An assault weapons ban.... They will not pursue it with any vigor. It is only included to provoke the expected wailing and gnashing of teeth from gun owner and the NRA and then to be dropped as a show of compromise.

Ten round magazine restriction.... They will push for this one fairly hard, because they think they can sell it to the public as "reasonable" and because not going for it hard would be letting a good crisis go to waste. They honestly believe this might help.

Universal background checks..... This is the one they really want. There will be no compromise here. They want it and they are going to get it. It is backdoor registration because it will force a paper trail for every gun transfer going forward. Later they will find an excuse to push for centralizing all the data collected on the Form 4473. They want this for the future as a step towards disarming america. This will be part of the foundation laid down early that full registration will be built on.

There will be a couple of other things, better data sharing and collection for mental problems for example, but the meat of it is going to be the Universal background check.
They may or may not get the mag restriction, but if they don't you can bet they will bring it to a vote and use a vote against the bill to microtarget electioneering to paint those opposed as being in the pocket of the NRA and more concerned with keeping HIGH CAPACITY ASSAULT MAGAZINES available than protecting your children. There are voters who will be swayed by that.

I saw earlier someone post that we "could not expect to come out of this unscathed" and that we should accept background checks as the price of not having an assault weapons ban. To that I say WTF did any responsible gun owner do wrong! Accept nothing. Fight for every inch of ground. Write your elected officials. Join NRA or GOA. Make a donation if already a member. Talk to family and friends to see if you can get them involved.

And remember....

A FREE PEOPLE CAN BE DISARMED IN THE FACE OF TYRANNY ONLY ONE TIME.
I see that you quoted me. I dont want universal background checks but in the land of **** sandwiches im going to choose the smallest one. Its just the way it is. When this whole thing started i advocated that i would willingly give them the background check nugget if they would agree to let teachers that wanted to carry could do so. That in essence would reduce the chances of this ever happening again and eliminate the ammo the gun control lobby can and will use on us. If they wont agree give them nothing is my stance. Again if something has to happen (which i think it will) background checks are the best option for us.

By the way i have been pressuring every gun owner or believer in 2a rights to join the nra. I have also written a dozen emails to reps urging them to not give an inch.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NickC50310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 23:12   #102
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

In the land of **** sandwiches I think I'll choose to not partake in any of them.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 00:15   #103
ScottieG59

The big problem I see is that vendors were not ready for the sudden demand by the panic of so many. I think many manufacturers are concerned their development and production costs will not be recovered. Who wants to produce something they may not easily sell?

I do not know is this issue will be settled soon. Just as with other investments under Pres. Obama, there is too much uncertainty and a lot of risk. It highlights why creating new business ventures in the United States is difficult for so many. The government is acting as if it is their choice what Americans should do and what they may own.

The president will have to settle for less than he wants. The solutions to violent crime is not a new prohibition. To the largest degree, the prohibitions of alcohol and drugs is what caused the organized crime and drug gangs. We know where this road leads and it is ugly. Just look at the crime south of our border. That is what we will have when Chicago becomes the model of a nation.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 00:25   #104
ked

it's not how it affect us as individuals, it's how it affects the gun community as a whole.

it's not so much about adding a little cost to the owning of a gun. it's about giving up some of our freedoms and beginning/continuing down the slippery slope of gun/population control.

if we give an inch, they WILL take a mile.

ked
Old 01-14-2013, 00:43   #105
bigred0383

Per Reuters, 9:45pm 1-13-13

"Biden, who heads a task force on gun violence due to give Obama recommendations as early as Tuesday, has said he will recommend universal background checks for gun buyers and new limits on the capacity of magazines like those used by the Connecticut gunman."

"The White House also has said it will try to revive the U.S. ban on assault weapons that expired in 2004 after being in effect for a decade. Democratic Senators Dianne Feinstein of California and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut are expected to introduce legislation on reviving the assault-weapons ban."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90C0DK20130114
bigred0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 00:48   #106
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
I honestly don't care about this. It isn't a big deal, we do it here. Take 2 seconds and doesn't cost anything. This is a compromise we should be willing to make to avoid any awb or mag ban.

How the hell is that a compromise? It is infringement and scumbags like Schumer, Feinstein et al WILL NEVER STOP until they have everything and we have nothing. How do you not understand that? Are you still in high school?
Old 01-14-2013, 00:58   #107
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
I honestly don't care about this. It isn't a big deal, we do it here. Take 2 seconds and doesn't cost anything. This is a compromise we should be willing to make to avoid any awb or mag ban.

Well then you just keep doing it there. Those of us that live in free states oppose any further restrictions.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00   #108
bluejackets92fs
I have bad aim

Don't throw the confetti just yet boys. We haven't exactly won the battle. There is too much in the air still.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:27   #109
McGuffin

Well, to address the OP, whether one paid $1,000 or $2,000 for an AR or an AK, either way, it was money well spent. Over time, prices always go up! Some just might have to wait a little longer to appreciate their investment. Incidentally, all of my purchases were pre-"crisis".

I truly hope that no concessions are given with regard to any further gun legislation. None are needed. Enforce the gun laws that currently exist and the government would amaze itself at the number of criminal prosecutions that would flood their dockets! They simply wouldn't be able to keep up. Why then, more laws?

The answer seems pretty clear...
McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:59   #110
sourdough44

How would 'universal background checks' of changed any high profile shootings the last 10 years? I know they want it, but I think it's just a stepping stone to go further.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:52   #111
Restless28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred0383 View Post
Per Reuters, 9:45pm 1-13-13

"Biden, who heads a task force on gun violence due to give Obama recommendations as early as Tuesday, has said he will recommend universal background checks for gun buyers and new limits on the capacity of magazines like those used by the Connecticut gunman."

"The White House also has said it will try to revive the U.S. ban on assault weapons that expired in 2004 after being in effect for a decade. Democratic Senators Dianne Feinstein of California and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut are expected to introduce legislation on reviving the assault-weapons ban."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90C0DK20130114
It doesn't matter what the White House said. They don't have the votes in the Senate. Biden knows this, as a veteran of the Senate.

I'll say it again. Vulnerable democrat senators are up for reelection in 2014. They won't touch the third rail.

This also has no chance in the House.

I don't see how this is so hard to understand.
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03   #112
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
Reports are that the Biden committee will announce tougher background checks to prevent guns from ending up in the hands of the mentally ill, a nationwide discussion on mental health, and school safety initiatives.

No restriction on assault weapons or mags or ammo.

Biden has said that his Senate colleagues universally opposed any gun control. So, Obama blames Congress for no restrictions.

I think they knew this was a dog and pony show gamble. If they won, they claim success, if they lose, they blame Congress.

Come Tuesday, those folks that paid $2000 for a $600 DPMS are gonna feel pretty darn stupid. The buyers market will be back by Spring.
Sounds like the "fiscal cliff" all over again, only witht he 2A in the ballance.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:05   #113
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
The big problem I see is that vendors were not ready for the sudden demand by the panic of so many. I think many manufacturers are concerned their development and production costs will not be recovered. Who wants to produce something they may not easily sell?

I do not know is this issue will be settled soon. Just as with other investments under Pres. Obama, there is too much uncertainty and a lot of risk. It highlights why creating new business ventures in the United States is difficult for so many. The government is acting as if it is their choice what Americans should do and what they may own.

The president will have to settle for less than he wants. The solutions to violent crime is not a new prohibition. To the largest degree, the prohibitions of alcohol and drugs is what caused the organized crime and drug gangs. We know where this road leads and it is ugly. Just look at the crime south of our border. That is what we will have when Chicago becomes the model of a nation.
Organized crime predated drug and alcohol prohibitions. Furthermore mafiosi and other criminal scum did not stop being criminal scum just because prohibition was repealed.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45   #114
Bruce M

So can I unplug the battery charger from my EMP-proof quasi-armored Mad-Bruce vehicle yet or not?
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:47   #115
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
The Panic of 2013 Ends Tuesday
Or it just begins. Lets hope your right but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15   #116
bear62

Guess I'm ready for Tuesday. I feel "somewhat" confident that there wont be a renewed AWB. I do see a lot of local municipalities making anti gun laws that will later be overturned.

This has been a very trying time........ Sometimes I'm glad I'm older that dirt.

bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24   #117
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&P Guy View Post
Should this be true, when people want to return their premium priced purchases to the retailers, things could get interesting.
Sucks for them because around here, none of the LGS will take returns PERIOD! I think the exception to this is mags and accessories, but firearms and ammo are a no-go. Hell, even Wal-mart will not take back guns or ammo even if the box was unopened. So if the panic dies down, I would expect the boards will be full of these people trying to recoup some of their cost if they decide not to keep their firearms.

Last edited by svtpwnz; 01-14-2013 at 06:26..
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36   #118
ggarciatx
Cold War Sailor

If I may quote an enemy from my fathers past......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
The big problem I see is that vendors were not ready for the sudden demand by the panic of so many.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." _ Yamamoto

I think the Gun/magazine Manufacturers are going to see this as a direct assault on their livelyhoods and will use all their might to crank out as much stuff as they can now. I would not be suprised if Bushmaster, Del-ton, Magpul, Lancer, etc..... all start 24 hour shifts. They know the demand is there now with all the new owners and should follow thru to see that there is enough for them. Just like the Japanese woke us up and united us, this woke up alot of people who were not into the shooting sports world. I guess what really bothered me was they classified the M-1 Carbine as an assault rifle. My father carried one across the Pacific with the 2nd Marine Division (Same one) for 3 years fighting the Japanese. To me this was a direct slap in the face cause it stereotyped him as being a bad person for having to use one.
He fought and came back from 4 of the bloodiest islands in the Pacfic so we could have what we have today. He was a Democrat way back then when they stood for the right things, but became numb to them in the 70's and beyond. Because of him, I value all of our rights immensely. I served in the Navy, but don't hold a candle to what Combat Veterans did during their time. I respect others rights and exercise of same, all I ask if for them to respect mine.

It reminds me of the movie "Geronimo" with Wes Studi and Jason Patrick. There is a part where Matt Damon is talking to the Apaches with an Interpreter about them having to give up alcohol.

Matt Damon:There must be no drinkingof whiskey or Tizwin.
any violations of these rules...will result in confinement in an Army
prison stockade.

Apache Warrior speaks out why

Interpreter:He want to know why these rules.Why they be punished?
What you care if Apache drink? Soldier drink.

Matt Damon: Nantan Lupan says if Apache drink, Apache fight. Apache get into trouble. It's bad for everyone.

It's bad for the Apache, it's bad for soldiers...
..bad for all the White-Eyes.

Apache Warrior speaks out.

Interpreter: Say, why, if some Apache do bad things, all are punished?

Matt Damon: That will not happen. All Apache should not be punished
for the mistakes of only a few. We will determine who is responsible
and only those few will be punished.

hmmm... and what happened to the Apaches afterwards in history?

In Memory of my Father Jose C. Garcia USMC 2ND Marine Division WW2. Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, Okinawa and Occupation forces of Japan. 4th battalion/10th Marines :usmc:

Last edited by ggarciatx; 01-14-2013 at 06:47..
ggarciatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12   #119
dbcooper

My money is on an EO tasking the BATF with banning ammo sales online, requiring approval for purchasing over a certian amount, limiting access to handloading components and adding a massive ammo tax across the board.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19   #120
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
You aren't even an NRA member yet? Why wait?
I miss typed, I'll edit that. My communication skills suck sometimes. I'm a member of everything, I did that after sandy hook. And I sent the nra-ila a few donations. And I 'll continue with all of those memberships knowing there will be another sandy hook. It's only a matter of time.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt

Last edited by frank4570; 01-14-2013 at 07:29..
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48   #121
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorper View Post
The mental health issue is going to be bantered about a lot. Look for these issues to be integrated into future background checks. (ie. If you have ever been diagnosed with certain conditions, and possibly even the medications you are on).
But so many here support "Prohibited Classes", allowing the government to prohibit legal purchase of guns by mentally ill or felons.

Their support of "Prohibited Classes" may just come to bite some of them on the ass.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54   #122
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
In the land of **** sandwiches I think I'll choose to not partake in any of them.
This -

You volunteer to eat one small **** sandwich and then another and another - after a while you are eating 12" **** subs for lunch and can't recall what a turkey sandwich tastes like - some may even start to like the taste of a **** sandwich.

Last edited by Z71bill; 01-14-2013 at 08:00..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36   #123
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggarciatx View Post
hmmm... and what happened to the Apaches afterwards in history?
They cut deals to have casinos built on their lands and reap the money from White Eyes?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52   #124
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
But so many here support "Prohibited Classes", allowing the government to prohibit legal purchase of guns by mentally ill or felons.

Their support of "Prohibited Classes" may just come to bite some of them on the ass.
Its all very simple.

1st. "Toughen laws" on the mentally ill purchasing guns because it is the right thing to do.

2nd. How do we know Joe isn't mentally ill? It used to be Joe needed to be judged mentally ill but as we have seen, there have been a lot of people not judged ill until after the fact. So, the way to keep the mentally ill from obtaining guns? Easy, if Joe isnt mentally ill, he will have no problem submitting to a govt psych check. Once the govt approved doctor clears him, he can then own a gun.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00   #125
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Been prescribed an SSRI during a divorce?

Treated for anxiety during a stressful time?

ADD? As a child?

PTSD?

Sought counseling for marital problems?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote