Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:40   #41
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Your chamber pic shows the lack of leade well.
Your ejection port does look a bit lower than an early gov colt.
What is the oal of the dummy round?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43   #42
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
Your chamber pic shows the lack of leade well.
Your ejection port does look a bit lower than an early gov colt.
What is the oal of the dummy round?
The dummy is 1.180" if I remember correctly. I got 1.180" to fit, but I might have gone a LRCH deeper to see if it fit better. At any rate, it's close enough to 1.180" in that picture to call it that.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 20:59   #43
WiskyT
Malcontent

I just got in email contact with the smith. He wants to see the gun and will be there Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that. He attached two targets that he shot from two different guns, both with Kart barrels which have no leade. He said the accuracy was "typical". They were 10 shot groups measuring 2.25" at 50 yards.

So it's not simply a matter of "right" and "wrong" apparently. It's probably going to be a matter of what the gun is being used for.

Old 01-13-2013, 21:51   #44
SargeMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I just got in email contact with the smith. He wants to see the gun and will be there Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that. He attached two targets that he shot from two different guns, both with Kart barrels which have no leade. He said the accuracy was "typical". They were 10 shot groups measuring 2.25" at 50 yards.

So it's not simply a matter of "right" and "wrong" apparently. It's probably going to be a matter of what the gun is being used for.
They should all have a leade... they are either 'blueprint' or they are not.

Photo excerpted from the '42 Blueprint
Reloading

Read this before you turn somebody loose on your barrel. The important point is in the first post:

Quote:
Perhaps most smiths donít realize the chambers are not cut. It is very easy to tell if one has been done or not. For example, every Kart barrel I have fit has a bump in the chamber from the factory. It is apparently part of their barrel making process that leaves a slight raised area in the chamber. The bump is not a problem unless it is not removed. If left as is, I believe it can cause broken extractors, failures to feed and eject, not to mention accuracy suffers greatly.
Barrel Chamber Misunderstandings

Just as an aside, I take stock Rock Island, Auto Ord. etc. 1911's with stock barrels and get them holding 5 shots inside 3 1/2" at 50 yards, just by fitting a bushing, squaring the bottom lugs (when necessary) and installing a slide stop with a 0.200" crosspin.

Yes, there are ways to make them put 10 shots under 2" at that distance, but eliminating the chamber leade is not one of them. Many bullseye shooters run a 200 grain LSWC of the H&G #68 pattern, loaded to 1.250" overall, and they will not seat in a short-chambered barrel.

I'm not trying to tell you your business here, but I would simply tell the guy I wanted the chamber reamed to SAAMI or USGI specs and ask- can you do it or not? Once you get there, your pistol will run WAY better and still have all the accuracy you'll likely ever need.

Nothing bulks up your Ignore List like a 'caliber thread'.
SargeMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 22:19   #45
SargeMO

Just FWIW, here's a short-chambered Rock Island barrel that gave me the exact same problem, early last year. I sent it back for reaming and you could not make it choke, after that.

Reloading

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/rock...gi-m1911-a1fs/

Nothing bulks up your Ignore List like a 'caliber thread'.
SargeMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:05   #46
WiskyT
Malcontent

I finally got the chance to meet up with the smith. He actually liked the chamber. He thought I should just load short rounds to fit it. His work focuses on 50 yard accuracy. He builds about 40 guns a year with chambers like mine. He also liked the rest of the gun. He said it was tighter than what Colt has been putting out for the last few years.

He said he'd be happy to run a standard Clymer reamer in it if I wanted, so I went with that. He'll turn it by hand until so as not to cut the chamber itself any deeper. He also is putting a slight bevel on the sides of the chamber entrance to make it less likely to choke on SWC's.

He's going to peen the link pin slightly so it doesn't fall out like it does now when the gun is stripped. He also found a spot on the guide rod that is rubbing somewhere it isn't supposed to so he is going to bevel that slightly.

He thought the trigger should be left as is, 5# and no creep. He said he could lighten it up, but recommended against going any lighter for a gun that is for social work.

Old 02-06-2013, 18:10   #47
WiskyT
Malcontent

I got my barrel back last Thursday. One week turn around and I won't tell you the price because it was so low. This from a guy who has a long waiting list despite the fact that he builds 40 guns a year. I tried to pay him more, but he wouldn't take it.

It now chambers my reloads perfectly. I ran 50 rounds through it and it didn't miss a beat. I made a dummy up longer than I intend to load them, and it fit just fine, so I have a little slack for reliability. I also made up a dummy 230 XTP at 1.230", which I understand is the norm for Hornady factory ammo, and it chambered it easily.

He also "throated" it, similar to SargeMO's, but nearly as deep. He just broke the edge a bit on the sides rather than making it as pronounced. The gun fed 10 out of 10 SWC's I tried in it before having it tweaked, so the "throating" wasn't really needed, but he said that just by breaking that edge, it will help insure reliability with SWC's.

He peened the link pin so it doesn't fall out, and made a bevel on the rear of the recoil plug just like he said it would. He told me that the cut on the plug makes it contact the frame of the gun instead of the lower barrel lugs, which can help with accuracy.

I can't really speak to accuracy yet because I was shanking some wicked fliers. After all the years of shooting double actions and Glocks, the nice SA trigger is a bit odd for me. Even off a rest I pulled one and it was definately me and not the gun. I'll train with it some more and update on the accuracy.

Old 02-06-2013, 18:55   #48
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Nice.
Old 02-06-2013, 19:46   #49
n2extrm

Sound like he did the right thing by you. I think you will like it if you give it some time. But then again I am a 1911 guy, so I am biased.
Old 02-06-2013, 20:08   #50
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2extrm View Post
Sound like he did the right thing by you. I think you will like it if you give it some time. But then again I am a 1911 guy, so I am biased.
I like it. It's just that for the last 25+ years I've been shooting DA with a big front sight. Now I have a front sight that is a little bigger than the GI sights and a SA trigger. Also, if I close my eyes, when I open them the gun is pointing high. So, the grip angle, sights, and trigger are totally different for me. I'm keeping them all on a piece of paper at 25 yards, it's just that in terms of group size, I do better with my G17 at this point or my GP100 shooting DA.

I figure once I get dialed in with it, I should be able to shoot the 1911 better due to it's better trigger. 500 rounds and a few weeks should take care of it.

I was surfing around for some sight ideas and it seems 1911 sights aren't a imple afair. Heinie and Novak require dovetailing. I'm going to search MGW as I saw one in a youtube video and it looks like they might make something that would work for me.