SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 13:10   #1
taffbanjo

Greetings from across the pond!

Hello everybody,

I am a long-retired British Army vet who enjoyed shooting until the Blair government banned pretty well everything. Nowadays, I only get to shoot on my increasingly rare visits to the US but I do keep up to date thanks to Hickok45, Tnoutdoors9, The Yankee Marshall and Mr Colionnoir.

I enjoy shooting, of course, together with American history and politics, bluegrass and country music, New Orleans jazz and barbershop choruses. I would have moved to the US long ago were it not for family commitments and relative penury.

Glocks are still the gold standard for combat handguns and I'm particularly fond of the G19, G26, G32 and G33. I must also admit to having huge respect for the Sig P226 and P229 in 9mm and 357 Sig.

Glad to be on board.

Last edited by taffbanjo; 02-16-2013 at 13:41..
taffbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 14:12   #2
RPVG

Welcome to GT! Jeez, you sound more American than most Americans.

Hope to see you around the forums.
Old 01-13-2013, 14:28   #3
taffbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPVG View Post
Welcome to GT! Jeez, you sound more American than most Americans.

Hope to see you around the forums.
Don't forget, we Brits have grown up with American culture and a lot of it sticks! I have to admit that I was amazed when I sat down and listed just how many of my interests are American, or of the US.
Sadly, it's far too late for me to do anything about it so I'll just have to get on with it!
Thanks for the welcome.
Old 01-13-2013, 14:44   #4
RPVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffbanjo View Post
"... I have to admit that I was amazed when I sat down and listed just how many of my interests are American, or of the US..."
That's what jumped out at me. But here's where the rubber meets the road: do you prefer catsup on your fries or vinegar on your chips?
Old 01-13-2013, 14:52   #5
J.ThaddeusToad
On The X

ketchup > catsup
Old 01-13-2013, 14:55   #6
taffbanjo

Quote:
That's what jumped out at me. But here's where the rubber meets the road: do you prefer catsup on your fries or vinegar on your chips?
Neither, I'm afraid. I served with SHAPE in Belgium when Charles de Gaul threw NATO out of France - for me, it's chips with mayonnaise. Mayonnaise and fries are also very acceptable.

I didn't say that the US was my ONLY influence. I'll take good stuff anywhere I can find it!
Old 01-13-2013, 15:00   #7
taffbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.ThaddeusToad View Post
ketchup > catsup
Thank you for that - I wonder if the two words have the same root. They sound an awful lot alike, to me at least.
Old 01-13-2013, 15:02   #8
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Welcome to GT. Shortly you will be able to walk over to visit us/ He** is freezing over, over here.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 15:28   #9
taffbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Welcome to GT. Shortly you will be able to walk over to visit us/ He** is freezing over, over here.
I know and I can't understand it. I mentioned that I also follow your (mostly federal) politics and I'm used to the usual gun control noises. I figured you'd have another 1994, if you were unfortunate, but the whole gun community seems to have combusted spontaneously.
The CT shooting was a particularly bad example, given the age of the children, so I suppose Biden, Feinstein and Co. reckon they're on a roll. There have always been Apocalyptic nut cases (nut jobs?) within the gun community and outside but this time EVERYBODY seems to be infected with the bug.
Nobody has tried to enact anything yet, the bulls are still pawing the ground, so to speak, but everybody has already gone ape. I keep reading the wires to see what I missed.
Can you tell me what has ACTUALLY changed?
Old 01-13-2013, 16:39   #10
RPVG

So far... nothing. All the politicians are, as you so elegantly put it, "pawing the ground". We'll know a little more Tuesday, when Biden presents his recommendations to BHO. But we won't for sure until Congress passes a bill and the president signs it.
Old 01-13-2013, 17:01   #11
taffbanjo

Quote:
So far... nothing. All the politicians are, as you so elegantly put it, "pawing the ground". We'll know a little more Tuesday, when Biden presents his recommendations to BHO. But we won't for sure until Congress passes a bill and the president signs it.
That's what I figured - I suppose what we're seeing is some energetic pre-emptive positioning, and here I was thinking that the gun community was worried sick.

I suppose the Administration will want to muscle things through as quickly as possible while the "CT mood" is still with them. This isn't the first shooting and it won't be the last but this one has really caught the Undecideds' attention.
Old 01-13-2013, 17:37   #12
RyanBDawg

If it was up to me, I'd make you a citizen!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 17:38   #13
RPVG

Yeah. Trade him for Piers Whats-his-name.
Old 01-13-2013, 17:49   #14
bear62

Welcome.......
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 17:55   #15
taffbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBDawg View Post
If it was up to me, I'd make you a citizen!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
That's very kind of you - I would be delighted to accept, but only if I could keep my connection to Wales. I'm not so worried about England where I've actually been living for 39 years, but all Welshmen have been touched by the gods.

Touched by something, anyway.
Old 01-13-2013, 17:57   #16
taffbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
Welcome.......
Thanks very much - nice to be here.
Old 01-13-2013, 18:54   #17
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

if you visit, please bring beer.

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 19:07   #18
taffbanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
if you visit, please bring beer.
Of course - you'd want the real McCoy, wouldn't you? Unless your taste buds have been blunted by the stuff coming out of Milwaukee,
Old 01-13-2013, 20:06   #19
jph02

jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 20:32   #20
bac1023

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote