Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10   #721
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
Do not oil the gas system because the oil will 'coke' as it is fired and turn to sludge.

Do buy a quality gun grease like Tetra gun grease, plastilube, or white lithium grease and liberally apply to the operating rod/bolt lug interface and the opposite bolt lug/receiver raceway. Shooting the M1 without lube in these two critical areas can cause jams [ask any Pacific theatre Marine or soldier about this].
I concur. Especially for in a humid environment.

Sent from my communicator.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:14   #722
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
When you buy one, I have a couple of recommendations before shooting. Many of these rifles have been in storage for decades. The wood furniture is often dry and can split, chip, crack, or otherwise get damaged. Stop in at a hardware store and buy a quart of boiled linseed oil and some rubber gloves.

Field strip the rifle and pull as much of the metal off as you can without damage. Some ferrules and liners will be impossible to remove without the armory tools and you can cover these metal fixtures up with duct tape if you want to sand down the stock or prevent from having to clean up linseed oil on the metal parts.

With gloves on, take several paper towels and apply linseed oil to them, then rub the oil liberally into the stock. Let dry overnight and repeat cycle as needed until the wood nearly stops soaking up the oil. This can take ten or more applications. Be careful with disposal of used oil soaked towels [especially cloth] as they can spontaneously combust. I used paper towels and soaked them in water after use and prior to disposal. This will replenish the moisture in the wood and is military correct for a finish.

Wear an old shirt the first time you shoot it because some oil may exude out from the stock with the heat from firing.

Tung oil is a nice alternative, but boiled linseed oil is cheaper by volume and can be used on wood products like shovel handles, tool handles, etc.
Speaking of which, what would you think of getting the plastic stock for the M1? I noticed that Brownells carries one for sale.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:18   #723
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
any idea on refurbishing the inside of an old nagant barrel? Couldnt find something yet, I guess an old barrel is just an old barrel
Probably it would depend on how deep the groove work is. If it's real shallow I would suggest getting another barrel, and head spacing equipment.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26   #724
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
I refinished two Mosins with the Birchwood Casey stock refinishing set. Pretty good stuff with the sandpaper, steel wool, and all the oils and dyes necessary to refinish a stock.

My M44 was a dark color which I didn't know was done by the previous owner. It had some blems and I wanted to clean the gun so I got some brake cleaner and sprayed the gun down to get all the cosmoline out of everywhere. Got all the dark varnish off the stock too and ended up dyeing it a nice medium cherry wood finish with a good grain of the natural stock showing through. I was very proud of myself.
I got my 91/30 from RGuns at a gun show at KCI Expo. They were good to work with, and the gun was in ready to fire condition. The upper most ring came loose while firing it though. I was concerned that the handguard was going to come loose while firing ammo. Then the loading area for ammo seemed to be harder to get ammo into. I may have to look at it and try something a little different later. Maybe open up the magazine and feed from the bottom.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:49   #725
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Yeah, my wife has been asking about that one herself, LOL. Eh, go figure. Next year's will look mighty low in comparison, with the tax cuts having disappeared.

Ain't that the truth. Tax the producers to death to give more to the takers.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50   #726
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Speaking of which, what would you think of getting the plastic stock for the M1? I noticed that Brownells carries one for sale.

I think that you should be beaten with a rubber hose for even thinking of such!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53   #727
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
I was thinking about getting something like that myself. CMP has range ammo on their E store. It also may be worth looking into.

I think I'm just going to stick with buying as much of that Greek surplus as I can right now, and reloading later to duplicate the M2 (or as close as I can get to it). I really don't want to turn it into a manually-operated rifle if I don't have to, lol.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02   #728
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I think I'm just going to stick with buying as much of that Greek surplus as I can right now, and reloading later to duplicate the M2 (or as close as I can get to it). I really don't want to turn it into a manually-operated rifle if I don't have to, lol.
Right on. I was under the impression that it would still operate in SA. There is ammo on CMP's other site that is specifically made for the range. I am guessing it is easier on baffles.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:03   #729
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
I am thinking SHTF scenario.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:04   #730
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. Tax the producers to death to give more to the takers.
Marriage is what it is, LOL. We both actually use it.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10   #731
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Right on. I was under the impression that it would still operate in SA. There is ammo on CMP's other site that is specifically made for the range. I am guessing it is easier on baffles.

I think it just doesn't attract a magnet like the M2 ball does (even the non-AP); some ranges won't let you shoot it if it attracts a magnet.

Quote:
I am thinking SHTF scenario.

True, but I'd still be okay with the wood even in that scenario. If it's good enough for all it went through in WW2 and Korea, among other places, it's good enough for me.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10   #732
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Marriage is what it is, LOL. We both actually use it.

I wasn't referring to the marriage, lol. I was meaning how the wonderfulness of redistribution of wealth is in this country.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19   #733
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
I wasn't referring to the marriage, lol. I was meaning how the wonderfulness of redistribution of wealth is in this country.
Ah. Yeah it's been going on for some time. Now, it'll just get worse.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23   #734
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Quote:
I think it just doesn't attract a magnet like the M2 ball does (even the non-AP); some ranges won't let you shoot it if it attracts a magnet.

True, but I'd still be okay with the wood even in that scenario. If it's good enough for all it went through in WW2 and Korea, among other places, it's good enough for me.
The range I go to doesn't allow the magnetic stuff.

The reason for the plastic stock is that it deteriorates at a much slower rate than wood. But, the bad thing is because of it being lighter there would be more recoil.

Last edited by Hack; 01-13-2013 at 09:24..
Old 01-13-2013, 09:31   #735
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
The range I go to doesn't allow the magnetic stuff.

The reason for the plastic stock is that it deteriorates at a much slower rate than wood. But, the bad thing is because of it being lighter there would be more recoil.

I just don't like how it affects the balance on them; it makes them WAYYY too muzzle-heavy for my tastes.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 11:33   #736
blueiron
Clown move, bro

I don't care for inexpensive plastic or synthetic stocks for the M1/M14 system. The barreled receiver fits into the stock group and is locked in place by the trigger group. The problem comes when the barrel/receiver group does not fit tightly into the stock group and it shifts around. When it shifts during recoil/counter-recoil, the barrel/receiver group never returns to the same resting point as the shot before and accuracy is horrible.

Because there are many different manufacturers of the rifle; Springfield, Winchester, H&R, etc., the stock has to be made large to fit most actions and this magnifies the above problem. To fix this, the rifle then has to be bedded using Acra-glas, Liquid Steel, or a similar product. The next problem comes when the now bedded rifle is field stripped for cleaning and the disassembly process destroys the now tight tolerances.

When I bedded my M1A for service rifle matches, it was to a standard walnut stock, but only after I had done all the work necessary to the rifle. Since doing it in the 90s, the rifle has never been disassembled for cleaning. On a target only rifle, this is perfectly fine.

If you want a synthetic stock, buy from McMillan or a high end manufacturer who watches their tolerances closely and has reinforced recoil shoulders in the stock.

Bastard! - TBO
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 13:00   #737
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerChris View Post
any idea on refurbishing the inside of an old nagant barrel? Couldnt find something yet, I guess an old barrel is just an old barrel
Can't do it without some very expensive equipment and it's really not worth doing if you are looking to redrill the lands and grooves. Those things are cheap enough to be disposable rifles as is.

Quote:
Good stuff to know. I also have an M91/30, but it's still packed in cosmoline as I've never really had the desire to really get it out and clean all the gunk out, and all the ammo I had for it until recently was in a sealed tin that I didn't want to bust open if I didn't have to. I think I'll get to messing with it once it warms up some and clean it up.

Now if I get the Garand, I'll have to get a SMLE of some flavor, a Mauser 98, and an Arisaka of some flavor to round out the collection!
I did that route as well, and wrapped the rifles in black rags and placed them in the summer sun for a few days to get the heat to cook the oils out first before I did my wash.

If you have a steamer, that is the best way to do it, IMHO. I had one but couldn't find it until I was done with my other methods. Guess that just means I have to buy another rifle and use the steamer.

BEST SITE EVAH FOR MILSURP INFO WITH DIAGRAMS AND STEP BY STEP INFO ON COMPLETE DISASSEMBLY OF EVERY MAJOR MILSURP FIREARM OUT THERE, DOWN TO TAKING APART THE BOLT TO EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/

Quote:
Maybe not that extreme... but yeah, some persuasion needs to happen to prevent that. I thought about sporterizing the Mosin as well with that Monte Carlo stock that ATI sells, but then thought better of it because it is what it is and I am not really about to spend more than the rifle is worth by putting on a stock and scope and all the other junk on it. I'm going to shoot it as is and if I need something different, I have my Steyr SSG for that.

Quote:
Marriage is redistribution of wealth. That's why you need to marry wealthy.

Last edited by lawman800; 01-13-2013 at 13:02..
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 15:08   #738
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
I did buy the ati stock and put it on. Too bad the rifle doesn't hit shayt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 23:31   #739
OfficerChris
L.A. fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to OfficerChris
MOAR posts demanded

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10   #740
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Some of us work for a living.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote